Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2022, 11:12 AM

8,376 posts, read 4,506,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
that's exactly what the supreme court just did.....

...ruled that the supremes do not have the power to dictate a medical procedure
Huh? Roe vs. Wade ruling (which the Supreme Court just overturned) did not dictate a medical procedure, ie, it did not dictate an abortion to anyone. I am an old lady now, who will never have any personal use for any abortion-related laws for the rest of my life, but I never needed an abortion, so I never had one, despite Roe vs. Wade ruling being legitimate during my entire fertile life (the ruling happened to coincide with the onset of my ability to conceive) - so Roe vs. Wade certainly did not have a power to dictate an abortion to me, or to anyone else who didn't need or didn't want to have an abortion. But the option was there for those who found themselves in trouble.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:12 AM

19,821 posts, read 10,259,414 times
The court decision is actually quite simple. The Constitution states that any right not specifically given to the federal government belongs to the states. So, since the Constitution gives no right to abortions, the right must be decided by the states.
The right to bear arms is in the Constitution, so the court could rule on it.
And there is a process in the Constitution by which to change it.
So if congress passes a law codifying abortion, it would most likely be found unconstitutional because the right belongs to the individual states.

Really quite simple.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:13 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,027,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
Yesterday's Supreme Court decision overturning Roe said nothing about abortion regulation belonging at the state level - all it said was that abortion was no longer a constitutional right. Indeed, senior Republican politicians have already said that if they regain control of the federal government, they can pass a nationwide ban on abortion, overriding what any individual state may want:

Mitch McConnell Acknowledges a National Abortion Ban is “possible” if Roe is overturned - Vanity Fair
Then why are so many saying abortion regulation "has been sent back to the states where it belongs? " That it is not something the Constitution allows at the federal level? If it's not allowed at the federal level, then a federal law about abortion would also be unconstitutional.

As to what McConnell says... I don't t listen. So often a reporter asks him "would you do thus and so" and he grunts something to the effect of it being a possibility. Useless comment as far as I am concerned.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Gorsuch and Kavanaugh implied in their confirmation interviews and hearings that Roe vs Wade was settled law and precedent. They went against their own words. This is a clear sign that they that lack any honor and integrity. They tarnish the court as does Thomas who refuses to recuse himself from cases that involve his wife. This court has no moral authority with jurists such as these.
All very true, sadly.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:19 AM

18,577 posts, read 16,015,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Huh? Roe vs. Wade ruling (which the Supreme Court just overturned) did not dictate a medical procedure, ie, it did not dictate an abortion to anyone.
This is a fundamental misunderstanding of what Roe v Wade was in the first place. I continue to be shocked at how many get it wrong even in 2022, seriously, there's no excuse to be ignorant.

Many believe RvW was somehow enticing/forcing/coercing or even requiring pregnant individuals to have an abortion. That was *never* true.

And just as many, or more, thought Planned Parenthood *only* offered abortions; they had no idea PP did basic Gyn wellness checks (Pap tests, contraceptive education, contraceptive supplies, education on safe safe). Not every person walking into a PP is there to end a pregnancy. Many don't have a regular doctor, especially college-age. Low or no-cost wellness exams and low or no-cost contraception was standard fare.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:22 AM

8,376 posts, read 4,506,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
This is a fundamental misunderstanding of what Roe v Wade was in the first place. I continue to be shocked at how many get it wrong even in 2022, seriously, there's no excuse to be ignorant.

Many believe RvW was somehow enticing/forcing/coercing or even requiring pregnant individuals to have an abortion. That was *never* true.
Come on, really? :-) Are people actually that stupid?

Old 06-25-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I take it you think schools should still be segregated and blacks treated as second-class citizens, right? Or, does precedence only matter when you agree with it?

I said anything is subject to be overturned now. Do you dispute that? I did not mention what topics or laws, or which ones you or I might agree or disagree on. As of now, there is no such thing anymore as settled law if it was decided in a Supreme Court case. I find that very unsettling.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:23 AM

18,933 posts, read 8,564,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Huh? Roe vs. Wade ruling (which the Supreme Court just overturned) did not dictate a medical procedure, ie, it did not dictate an abortion to anyone. I am an old lady now, who will never have any personal use for any abortion-related laws for the rest of my life, but I never needed an abortion, so I never had one, despite Roe vs. Wade ruling being legitimate during my entire fertile life (the ruling happened to coincide with the onset of my ability to conceive) - so Roe vs. Wade certainly did not have a power to dictate an abortion to me, or to anyone else who didn't need or didn't want to have an abortion. But the option was there for those who found themselves in trouble.
abortion is a medical procedure....no different than pulling a tooth...or heart surgery

...that's what they libs have said

the court ruled that the court does not have the power over a medical procedure....that is another definition of dictate

Old 06-25-2022, 11:25 AM

12,685 posts, read 6,776,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Not all women can say no. What about women who are being trafficked? Raped? Incest?
And abortion clinics are complicit in ongoing sexual abuse like that. Repeat customers are the best customers, am I right?

Police pretty much everywhere have pointed out that Planned Parenthood absolutely never calls the police for any reason. We already know about several cases of ongoing sexual abuse that they knew was happening and failed to blow the whistle on.

PP and other abortion clinics make themselves easy targets when they put profit above the best interests of women and girls. Maybe stop doing that?

Old 06-25-2022, 11:26 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,249,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How about insurance? If I have TN's version of Blue Cross and Blue Blue Shield, for example, and if the state disallows abortion, I assume the insurance companies in the state won't have to cover it. Will our insurance payments go down?
No, your insurance will undoubtedly go up as there will be more spent on maternity and pediatric care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies