Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2022, 03:48 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yes

Agreed

Must add that I like both Chinese and Taiwanese people. Wish for world peace ✌️
Absolutely.

Old 08-03-2022, 04:31 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
The Chicomms have been emboldened by the Russian invasion of Ukraine which was done for pretty much the same "justifications" the Chicomms see Taiwan under. Claimed sovereignty where no such sovereignty exists. Taiwan is NOT a province of China proper. The CCP believes that since they pushed Chang Kai Chec's Chinese Republic "rebels" onto that island that they can claim it by default. If it were indeed a Chinese province they wouldn't be flying F 16s and arming their soldiers with M 16s.

Taiwan is a separate island nation. Under governance of the Chinese Nationalists. China lost that one when the so called "rebels" established themselves there and declared it a republic. IMHO the US should fully recognize Taiwan's independence. Screw the ChiComms and their foot stomping and wailing. The problem I see there is unbelievably weak and ineffective leadership in DC. The Chinese see that too.

Still if Taiwan were indeed a Chinese province there would be PLA tanks and troops rolling though Taipei. If the rabbit breed leadership in DC is allowed to remain in power we may see those tanks and troops trying to hit the beach. The biggest obstacle to that right now is Taiwan isn't exactly and easy place to invade. It's quite mountainous and rugged with only a couple beaches suitable for an amphibious assault. Artillery mortars and machine guns would be able to chop troops landing on the fairly limited beach space into doll rags.

Not that the ChiComms care about troop losses. They have plenty to spare. But the snail pace move inland (if they moved at all) and the massive casualties and destroyed equipment would be a serious loss of face. That matters to the Chinese. But there not going to get a cakewalk. If they truly thought it would be that easy they would have done it already.

Old 08-03-2022, 04:42 PM

671 posts, read 316,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Who are you to decide on that? Who made you the referee on democracy?
There are a lot of elections in China. They don't vote for their president directly, but neither do Americans.

It is not a dictatorship at all. Xi might as well not be reelected...

China is a meritocracy.

I like this YT channel, it is from an American who lived in China for a long time and knows it really well, unlike 99.9% of Americans vomiting their stereotypes about and hatred of China on the Internet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bga5Xmv5s1A

I am not outraged at all, because I don't have an emotional connection to any country.
I do criticize her for that visit, though.
If she wants to visit the mainland, she also has to ask for permission before. You can't just go to another country.

And whether you like it or not, Taiwan is part of the PRC. The UN says so, the US says so (officially, anyway), etc.
When the political number 3 of another country visits, it becomes a state visit. So s/he has to ask the country for permission, in fact, you should be invited because you can't just act like one of those people that go to parties they were not invited to.
And since everyone agrees that Taiwan is part of the PRC, the permission to a state visit has to be given by Beijing.
think about it, when was the last time she visited china? 1991? reporters seem to have terrible memory, or they are trying to mislead readers.

no one seems to realize this, but this lady has led numerous congress visits to hong kong as late as 2019. Do you guys think the permission was given by the PRC for a state visit?

that's right, US congress has been intervening hong kong bussiness (to a higher degree than mainland china as seem US politicians are free to visit hong kong politicians at will)

so this was finally put to an end in 2021 with the security law, and now US politicians can no longer visit hong kong at will.

let see how much longer can US politicians freely visit china without permission from the chinese government.

Old 08-03-2022, 04:48 PM

25,766 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Totally my opinion...no links, no proof, just my life experiences thinking out loud...

...the CCP paid Pelosi millions (through a unknown 3rd party of course) to visit Taiwan, so the CCP would have just cause to punish Taiwan for even hosting her, and set the table for a future takeover.

Pelosi doesnt do anything unless there's big $'s in it..or in this case yuan.

Old 08-03-2022, 05:03 PM

1,141 posts, read 449,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I don't know who China thinks they are to tell Americans and people from other countries, where they can and cannot go and what they can or cannot do.
On the other hand, who does the idiot who decided on this visit think they/we are? There was absolutely zero benefit to the United States or any of it's allies with regards to pelosi going to Taiwan. The only thing I can think of, is she was going to try to influence some decision to aid her husband in another of his insider stock deals, and her greed overcame her limited intellect.

pelosi accomplished nothing at best, and at worse case scenario angered a mega power we need good relations with right now. China is a major player in many markets, including antibiotic and industrial manufacturing. We don't need them flexing their muscle to sooth a damaged ego over a pointless visit.

The days of the USA doing what it wants with zero regard for reprisal is over. The world has several nuclear powers right now, several major economic powers and the USA has a very weak leader with little respect even among our allies, much less our adversaries.

pelosi's trip was another failure of the biden administration's horrible foreign policy. Let's hope the buffoon and his advisors don't rigger a global war.

Old 08-03-2022, 05:22 PM

170 posts, read 60,046 times
so china basically have 3-4 day military live fire drill exercise surrounding taiwan, which meant air/ship traffic would be affected, its almost like semi-blockade. china ban several hundred taiwan food factories, + fruit, fish etc. just hope china didn't throw something like special military action similar to Russia did with ukraine. look like there were large transportation of military equipment from near by area to the coast near taiwan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S6RbKc-_w4

Old 08-03-2022, 05:25 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 13 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 980,463 times
Quote:
What would Spain and the EU say if China sent its #3 to the separatist region of Catalonia without asking Madrid?
I watched your link, and honestly, I found it to be generally useless information. It was just opinions and surveys with minimal tangible discussion. USA, corporations, guns bad, China good was the main point. Of course the Chinese government does not want anyone to have guns. They want all the power to control, manipulate, and dominate their populace. Also China itself has tons of corporations and billionaire elites.

China holds no elections. How can you be considered a democracy without having any elections? China is a “meritocracy” per the video, and yet it fails to explain how so. Are examinations administered? How is performance evaluated? Are we to believe that Xi Jinping is the smartest and/or most capable leader then? How? Based on what evidence, exactly? China’s government is more of an autocracy, steeped in nepotism and barbarism. Where the most brutal ardent party-line members rule with impunity. If you look at China’s history, the country did not escape the brutal Dynasties/Kingdoms era, which lasted thousands of years. Their system of government today is merely another iteration of Dynasty.

China today resembles a real-life version of the movie 1984 (North Korea is actually the closest version). The CCP controls and monitors their citizens every move - there is no free speech, no free press, no free assembly. Their laws are based on strict Party Values / Doctrine. The internet and communications in China are also heavily restricted and controlled by “The Great Firewall”. Most of the outside internet/websites are completely blocked or banned inside China. YouTube, Twitter, Facebook are blocked. Their government severely punishes any vices harshly - in fact now they don’t really want people to play videogames even. The Chinese government knows what is best for its citizens!(sarcasm)

The Chinese government offers minimal to zero transparency. They falsify data. It is operating indoctrination/prison camps in XinJiang. The CCP executes thousands of prisoners per year (no details provided), it violently annexed Hong Kong. Their military threatens Taiwan.

China is not behaving like a democracy. It is behaving like an imperialist autocracy. Its government is held up by threats. Stand on a street corner in Beijing and say what I just said in Chinese. What would happen? You might be taken away. Yet I can criticize the USA government and nothing will happen (unless I make threats, which are not free speech, and rightly so).

Now, as for the debate about Taiwan. China has never been in control of the island of Taiwan. Therefore, it should not legally be their territory. Taiwan does not want to be part of China despite what official UN or US policy dictates.

The Chinese people are incredibly disciplined, intelligent, and industrious. I truly wish them the best and brightest future of all.

Anyway, the BIG difference is that we (the USA) have far more personal freedoms available to us than what the Chinese government allows its citizens. Freedom is costly but priceless.

Last edited by g500; 08-03-2022 at 05:42 PM..

Old 08-03-2022, 05:37 PM

671 posts, read 316,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
I watched your link, and honestly, I found it to be generally useless information. It was just opinions and surveys with minimal tangible discussion. USA, corporations, guns bad, China good was the main point. Of course the Chinese government does not want anyone to have guns. They want all the power to control, manipulate, and dominate their populace. Also China itself has tons of corporations and billionaires. The guy in the video is brainwashed or maybe being paid.

China holds no elections. How can you be considered a democracy without having any elections? China is a “meritocracy” per the video, and yet it fails to explain how China is a meritocracy. Are examinations administered? How is performance evaluated? Are we to believe that Xi Jinping is the smartest and/or most capable leader then? How? Based on what evidence, exactly? China’s government is more of an autocracy, steeped in nepotism and barbarism. Where the most brutal ardent party-line members rule with impunity. If you look at China’s history, the country did not escape the brutal Dynasties/Kingdoms era, which lasted thousands of years. Their system of government today is merely another iteration of Dynasty.

China today is the real-life version of the movie 1984 (North Korea is actually the closest version). It is extremely authoritarian. The CCP controls and monitors their citizens every move - there is no free speech, no free press, no free assembly, no freedom to practice religion. Their laws are based on extremely strict Party Values. The internet and communications in China are also heavily restricted and controlled by “The Great Firewall”. Most of the outside internet/websites are completely blocked or banned inside China. YouTube, Twitter, Facebook are blocked. Their government severely punishes any vices harshly - in fact now they don’t really want people to play videogames even. The Chinese government knows what is best for its citizens!(sarcasm)

The Chinese government offers minimal transparency. They falsify data. It is operating indoctrination/prison camps in XinJiang. The CCP executes thousands of prisoners per year (no details provided), it has harvested prisoners’ organs, it violently annexed Hong Kong. Their military threatens Taiwan.

China is not behaving like a democracy. It is behaving like an imperialist autocracy. Its government is held up by threats. Stand on a street corner in Beijing and say what I just said in Chinese. What would happen? You might be taken away. Yet I can criticize the USA government and nothing will happen (unless I make threats, which are not free speech, and rightly so).

Now, as for the debate about Taiwan. China has never been in control of the island of Taiwan. Therefore, it is not legally their territory. They can claim they own it, but they do not. History will show that the Communists never seized Taiwan in 1949. Taiwan does not want to be part of China despite what formal UN or US policy dictates.

Look I will admit. China is an industrious and productive nation. Their people are incredibly disciplined, intelligent, and dedicated. I truly wish them the best and brightest future of all.

The USA government is no saint either. Our wars in Viet Nam and the Middle East were uncalled for. And I will not claim the USA is a Perfect Democracy either. But the BIG difference is that we (the USA) have far more personal freedoms available to us than what the Chinese government allows its citizens. Freedom is costly but priceless.

you are right on point with the bolded, except that "Dynasties/Kingdoms era" is the preferred by the chinese through out history.

meritocracy was first established in the Tang dynasty and it allows ordinary people to enter the ruling class through examination. it's sort of similar system till this date. Through out chinese history, all they know is that strong central government that unites the nation = good life, weak central government that can't hold the nation together = poor life.

I would recommend this american's youtube channel, as she recently visited xingjiang. So you can be saved from the BS that western media reported.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrc...IrDgYjQ/videos

Old 08-03-2022, 07:53 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
What would Spain and the EU say if China sent its #3 to the separatist region of Catalonia without asking Madrid?
Just stop... they are all in on the theatrics so China can poke at Taiwan.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:10 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
And since everyone agrees that Taiwan is part of the PRC, the permission to a state visit has to be given by Beijing.
The people of Taiwan don't agree with this. But who cares what they think, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies