Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2022, 02:39 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No they are not! I already provided the dictionary's definition of a nationalist and it's not the same as being a supremacist. Why are you only using whites as your example anyway? Any race can be a nationalist or a supremacist or a combination of both but they are still two very separate things because a nationalist isn't necessarily a supremacist!

Oh geez, get your head out of the past. Whites only no longer applies nor do Jim Crow laws!
The younger generations are not going by the dictionary definition.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:41 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Maybe a better word to use for someone who loves his/her country would be a Patriot?
Again though, only about 5 or 6 years ago, "nationalist" was an innocent word. It basically meant a patriot, but it meant more. A patriot merely loves his country. A nationalist loves his country above and before all others.

It is a small distinction, but an important one. You can be a patriot and still be a globalist. You cant be a globalist and a nationalist at the same time. That wouldn't make any sense.

The push to associate "nationalists" with "white nationalists" was intentional to shame people away from nationalistic ideology by associating them with racists.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:51 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Again though, only about 5 or 6 years ago, "nationalist" was an innocent word. It basically meant a patriot, but it meant more. A patriot merely loves his country. A nationalist loves his country above and before all others.

It is a small distinction, but an important one. You can be a patriot and still be a globalist. You cant be a globalist and a nationalist at the same time. That wouldn't make any sense.

The push to associate "nationalists" with "white nationalists" was intentional to shame people away from nationalistic ideology by associating them with racists.
I understand what you are saying re "nationalist" vs "patriot"... they were not the same in the past. But language changes constantly and by today's standards, if journalists are using "white nationalist," "nationalist" and "white supremacist" interchangably, then that is how the general public will be using those words. I am not the one who changed it.

Maybe patriot is not a good substitute for what nationalist used to mean. It is what first came to mind. Maybe you have a better synonym.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying re "nationalist" vs "patriot"... they were not the same in the past. But language changes constantly and by today's standards, if journalists are using "white nationalist," "nationalist" and "white supremacist" interchangably, then that is how the general public will be using those words. I am not the one who changed it.

Maybe patriot is not a good substitute for what nationalist used to mean. It is what first came to mind. Maybe you have a better synonym.
I don't, so I am a nationalist. Not a white nationalist. Just a nationalist. I don't really care if anyone wants to add any other labels to that. As far as I am concerned, it is their problem.

I am a zionist too. And very proud of it.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:59 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
I think the point of contention is in associating nationalism with white nationalism. A nationalist can be any race and doesn’t advocate for any race, only for country.
Quote:

Oldglory explicitly said "white nationalist."

Now he's trying to pretend he didn't mean white nationalist.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
OldGlory explicitly said "white nationalist."
But did you see the rest of the exchange?

And yes, the "white nationalist" stuff, is not something I am on board with. And knowing his posts, I dont really think he is either.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:03 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
But did you see the rest of the exchange?
Yeah, now he's trying to pretend he didn't mean white nationalist, but I see the game he's playing.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, now he's trying to pretend he didn't mean white nationalist, but I see the game he's playing.
OK. Maybe you are right, maybe not. I'll wait to hear what he has to say in his defense before I decide.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:42 PM

62,996 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Oldglory explicitly said "white nationalist."
Now he's trying to pretend he didn't mean white nationalist.
Are you referring to me? The poster I was replying to mentioned white nationalism only but not other nationalists so I addressed his remarks in that way. I also said that whites aren't the only nationalists and that it wasn't a negative conotation only supremacy is and regardless of your race.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:45 PM

62,996 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
The younger generations are not going by the dictionary definition.
Well too damned bad! You must be talking about liberal young people and also liberal older people. They can make stuff up all they want but it doesn't make it so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies