Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 08:49 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,089,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Would you feel the same about a blackface show?

It's not a matter of "rules," it's a matter of common decency. No segment of society should be made fun of and degraded simply because of their "type"... be that blacks or be that women.
Drag queens don't mock women. What an odd perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 08:49 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,263,845 times
Part of the Episcopal Church...go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ag-show-chapel

QUOTE FROM ABOVE LINK, my italics: "There was tons of social pressure to dance along and pretend like it was normal for sure," a student who chose to remain anonymous told the Post Millennial, "whether it be people tapping on shoulders and telling them to stand up or just a collective staring contest at whoever wasn't totally participating."
[end quote]

So why is a private school doing this during CHAPEL services? To illustrate the idea that God loves ALL people?

I would think this would already have been taught.

If my child was enrolled at that school, she or he would be disenrolled for the next semester.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:52 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,415,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
So blackface is all good at the school too? Yes/No.
Technically I think blackface is protected expression. Obviously it drives liberals nuts. When I was a kid somebody dressed up as Michael Jackson. We all thought it was a cool costume. Anyway even if I was outraged by it, the decision of what somebody can or can not do is not dictated by my sense of decency. What exactly do you think should be done? Close the school?

Old 08-04-2022, 08:53 AM

18,569 posts, read 8,369,942 times
that is one scary queen.......

...made me think of Pennywise

Old 08-04-2022, 08:54 AM

27,682 posts, read 28,786,696 times
At this rate, we're going to start seeing priests become drag queens.

And liberals will be cheering them on.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:58 AM

25,999 posts, read 18,984,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Drag queens don't mock women. What an odd perspective.
Yes they do. The same as blackface "artists" used to do. Sorry, you guys do not have a leg to stand on with this one. Both types of performers do the exact same thing except one with blacks and the other with women.

I've seen plenty "drag shows" over the years. I was a professional musician and shared the stage with many. The reason you do not see that drag queens are essentially the same as blackface performers were at one time is the same reason the people at the time of blackface performances didn't see it. You don't have as much of an excuse, though, because we are supposedly more culturally aware right now. You see someone parodying a black, you freak. You see someone parodying an Asian, you freak. You see someone parodying a woman (to WAY more of an extent)... and you are totally cool with that.

Blackface artists made themselves up to be blacks, overdid the looks, overdid the tendencies, overdid the culture. Exactly the same thing drag queens do now only for women. Look at a picture of a blackface artist and then a picture of a drag queen. They are doing the same thing, except with a different "brunt of the joke."

And again, I'm not making a judgement call as to whether this should be allowed or not. I'm pointing out an obvious double standard. From there, you decide whether blackface AND drag queens (broadface) are okay. Because they are one and the same.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:01 AM

24,603 posts, read 17,350,035 times
I just do not understand the need to push this crap on the kids? Kids are the most open minded among us. They will make friends with anyone with the most important requirement being the "NICE" factor. If a kid is Nice and shares, likes to play and does not bully then it doesn't matter if the kid has purple skin, green hair and 3 legs.

Why do kids need to know anything about Drag Queens? Why do they need to know about Gay people? As the kids grow up these things will naturally be made aware of so why force it?

It is like the Left is trying to normalize the Gender Bending Cross Dressing that some adults engage in but what is the end goal? Do they want to create more kids that grow up confused or maybe they are trying to make it easier for the small percentage of kids that will eventually figure out they fall into the LGBQTIxyz spectrum to come out of the closet?

Just leave the kids alone.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:01 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,415,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes they do. The same as blackface "artists" used to do. Sorry, you guys do not have a leg to stand on with this one. Both types of performers do the exact same thing except one with blacks and the other with women.

I've seen plenty "drag shows" over the years. I was a professional musician and shared the stage with many. The reason you do not see that drag queens are essentially the same as blackface performers were at one time is the same reason the people at the time of blackface performances didn't see it. You don't have as much of an excuse, though, because we are supposedly more culturally aware right now. You see someone parodying a black, you freak. You see someone parodying an Asian, you freak. You see someone parodying a woman (to WAY more of an extent)... and you are totally cool with that.

Blackface artists made themselves up to be blacks, overdid the looks, overdid the tendencies, overdid the culture. Exactly the same thing drag queens do now only for with women. Look at a picture of a blackface artist and then a picture of a drag queen. They are doing the same thing, except with a different "brunt of the joke."
If something isn’t banned it is allowed. Are you suggesting we legislate morality and start banning things we find distasteful? Think carefully because of who the majority is and where that could go. The parents chose the school it is a private matter.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:05 AM

17,021 posts, read 12,632,414 times
Private school. File this one under a reason to not send your kids to that school.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:11 AM

8,004 posts, read 3,532,451 times
As many will surely point out it's a private school. I'm still free to point out how messed up that is. I would pull my kid out of that school quickly. There are other private schools in the area I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies