Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 11:43 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,402,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Nope.

I'm questioning why one is morally acceptable and the other is not when they are essentially the same thing. If "blackface" is illegal, I'm not aware of that law--maybe there is one, I don't know. BUT, whether it is illegal or not, it is simply not done in mainstream culture at this point. That is not due to a law, it is due to taste and common decency. And we seem to have that common decency toward blacks, but not toward women at this point, for whatever reason. And it is rather baffling to me.

Look, if you want to cross dress in the privacy of your own home (or with consenting adults) and get off on that, it doesn't matter to me at all. Have at it. Just don't tighten the corset too much and end up in the hospital. If you want to pretend like you are a black person in the privacy of your home and get off on that, again, fine. Go for it. But... in my opinion, neither should be acceptable in a public setting. Not that I want a law to forbid it. More like just a little common decency and respect. Maybe that it too much to expect in this day and age.

Thank you for making my point for me. Again okay to make a parody of women, not okay to parody blacks. Why? Let's hear your LOGICAL reason as to why that's okay.
What if I just simply don’t want you telling me what is moral and what is not? The whole blackface thing is just a deflection to my original point. I guess your recourse for your moral outrage is to vent on a forum. So long as that is all and you do not want your code of morality written into law we are good. Basically you have the right to disapprove and they have the right to disregard your opinion.

That’s how it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 11:54 AM

25,776 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
The whole blackface thing is just a deflection to my original point.
No, it is not. It is really the only point I'm trying to make. It's okay to make fun of one element of society and not okay to make fun of another. I want to hear a legitimate reason for this from the champions of equality--the leftists. I can't make fun of blacks, Asians, midgets, retarded people, people with a missing eye, etc... but I can make fun of women and even win prizes for doing so.

Seems we agree on the legal aspect, but are focusing on two different points.

By the way, it's not a moral issue, it's a basic decency issue. If you think it is cool to belittle other segments of society, I wouldn't call that immoral. I'd simply call it being a prick. Not a matter of law or morality.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:57 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,402,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No, it is not. It is really the only point I'm trying to make. It's okay to make fun of one element of society and not okay to make fun of another. I want to hear a legitimate reason for this from the champions of equality--the leftists. I can't make fun of blacks, Asians, midgets, retarded people, people with a missing eye, etc... but I can make fun of women and even win prizes for doing so.

Seems we agree on the legal aspect, but are focusing on two different points.
I don’t care if you make fun of black people or women so not sure your point applies to me. I am not a leftist elite so can’t speak for them. The outrage that happens with every drag thread is way overdone. I don’t care if you dress up in black face while wearing a dress. So long as you are good at lip syncing Diana Ross songs.

This is why the outrage just needs to stop on both sides.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I don’t care if you make fun of black people or women so not sure your point applies to me. I am not a leftist elite so can’t speak for them. The outrage that happens with every drag thread is way overdone. I don’t care if you dress up in black face while wearing a dress. So long as you are good at lip syncing Diana Ross songs.

This is all getting far afield from the OP, anyway.

The question here is whether children should be required to see this bilge in the course of their day while at a school that is supposedly teaching them academic subjects.

My vote is a definite "no way."

Not unless it is a topic that was made clear to the parents beforehand and included in the published curriculum.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:06 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
Monkey pox outbreak to follow.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:07 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
I don’t think the vast majority of Americans want to take a time machine back to Leave It To Beaver land.
No, but maybe a slight majority would if given a choice between Leave It to Beaver land and Woke Land or Urban Slum Land.

i could be wrong, however. (But there is no question about how I would vote.)

Btw, speaking only for myself (of course), it is not MORAL outrage that I am feeling, but outrage that kids are being force fed this garbage. If parents and kids are cool with it, that is fine, but for them to make attendance mandatory is what bothers me.

I think that adults should be able to attend any kind of LBGTQ event they want and not be hassled for it, but my tolerance for this kind of thing stops when it involves mandatory participation for children.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:07 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:

Do you mean it's overdone the way the drag queens' mockery of women is overdone?

Old 08-04-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
No, but maybe a slight majority would if given a choice between Leave It to Beaver land and Woke Land or Urban Slum Land.

i could be wrong, however. (But there is no question about how I would vote.)
Sheesh, yeah I'd definitely take the Leave It to Beaver land over the direction we are going. Don't even know what to call it. Scum Land? Let's See How Sick We Can Get Land?

Old 08-04-2022, 12:18 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Being drag queens IS a mockery of women. Mockery of women is the whole point of being drag queens. To think that it's not a mockery of women is a bizarre perspective.

They even make a mockery of homely church women every Sunday as shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJI6fPZq2TM

Old 08-04-2022, 12:24 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ag-show-chapel

QUOTE FROM ABOVE LINK, my italics: "There was tons of social pressure to dance along and pretend like it was normal for sure," a student who chose to remain anonymous told the Post Millennial, "whether it be people tapping on shoulders and telling them to stand up or just a collective staring contest at whoever wasn't totally participating."
[end quote]

So why is a private school doing this during CHAPEL services? To illustrate the idea that God loves ALL people?

I would think this would already have been taught.

If my child was enrolled at that school, she or he would be disenrolled for the next semester.
According to the school, it has an Episcopal identity, not Catholic, as reported and it’s all about inclusion.

The chapel serves all students of all faiths or no faith. It does not hold church services. The event was not held “during CHAPEL service”.

The event was sponsored by the school’s LGBTQ community. Appears some may have felt some peer pressure to participate.

Tuition is $59,310/ year, plus books and trips for pre K-12. Enrollment is 800.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies