Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 08:29 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ag-show-chapel

QUOTE FROM ABOVE LINK, my italics: "There was tons of social pressure to dance along and pretend like it was normal for sure," a student who chose to remain anonymous told the Post Millennial, "whether it be people tapping on shoulders and telling them to stand up or just a collective staring contest at whoever wasn't totally participating."
[end quote]

So why is a private school doing this during CHAPEL services? To illustrate the idea that God loves ALL people?

I would think this would already have been taught.

If my child was enrolled at that school, she or he would be disenrolled for the next semester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 08:30 AM

25,712 posts, read 18,784,900 times
We got rid of blackface because it was degrading to and made fun of blacks. When will we get rid of broadface because it is degrading to and makes fun of women?

Old 08-04-2022, 08:31 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,778 times
Their school their rules. It isn’t a public school so..

Old 08-04-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Their school their rules. It isn’t a public school so..
Would you feel the same about a blackface show?

It's not a matter of "rules," it's a matter of common decency. No segment of society should be made fun of and degraded simply because of their "type"... be that blacks or be that women.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:37 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Would you feel the same about a blackface show?

It's not a matter of "rules," it's a matter of common decency. No segment of society should be made fun of and degraded simply because of their "type"... be that blacks or be that women.
The problem is you don’t get to dictate decency. Would you like some liberal to come to your private school and ban God? These days all too many times I am seeing conservatives who want no interference in their lives thinking it is okay to meddle in the business of others. Nobody is forced to enroll and it is up to the parents as it should be.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
The problem is you don’t get to dictate decency. Would you like some liberal to come to your private school and ban God? These days all too many times I am seeing conservatives who want no interference in their lives thinking it is okay to meddle in the business of others. Nobody is forced to enroll and it is up to the parents as it should be.
So then you are for blackface?

I'm pointing out a societal double standard. Either we accept poking fun at and degrading segments of society or we don't. Which is it going to be?

Old 08-04-2022, 08:39 AM

8,941 posts, read 2,963,300 times
Quote:
So blackface is all good at the school too? Yes/No.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:40 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,002,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ag-show-chapel

QUOTE FROM ABOVE LINK, my italics: "There was tons of social pressure to dance along and pretend like it was normal for sure," a student who chose to remain anonymous told the Post Millennial, "whether it be people tapping on shoulders and telling them to stand up or just a collective staring contest at whoever wasn't totally participating."
[end quote]

So why is a private school doing this during CHAPEL services? To illustrate the idea that God loves ALL people?

I would think this would already have been taught.

If my child was enrolled at that school, she or he would be disenrolled for the next semester.
Private school --- parents have a choice on how to spend their money.

The performer sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Forced to dance along...they were sitting in pews -- hardly able to be forced to dance.

But yes most definitely, parents have a choice.

I guess that one child 'feeling pressure' will be looking for a new school.

Links to the performance
https://nypost.com/2022/08/03/studen...church-report/
On June 7, the school held its first-ever Pride Chapel event for its lower school, in which Grace Church Schools chaplain Rev. Mark Hummel began the service by sharing a few words on the importance of Pride. Students also learned about the history of the rainbow-colored Pride flag and sat through a reading of “Twas the Night Before Pride” with their parents.

“Pride Chapels, along with the other history and identity-based chapels and assemblies held throughout the year, help empower Grace students to foster a safe and welcoming place for all, in which the diversity of our school is celebrated and lifted up,” the school said about the events.

For the record, not a 'drag show'...but a draq queen singing one song.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:40 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Private school. Opt out. Problem solved.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:47 AM

6,370 posts, read 2,703,569 times
Well looking into the links apparently this is an annual "Pride Chapel" at this school sponsored by their LGBTQ club. But the first time a Drag Queen was there.

But it gets better(or worse)..this was apparently the "High School" Chapel. The school also was proud to announce that they held their first ever "Lower School" Pride Chapel, which apparently is their Elementary aged kids.

https://www.gcschool.org/news-detail...&fromId=248546

Quote:
Finally, this year marked the first-ever Lower School Pride Chapel on June 7. GCS Chaplain Reverend Mark Hummel began the service by sharing a few words on the importance of Pride. Early Childhood Dance and Drama Teacher Laurel Lesio led students through the history of the rainbow flag and what it symbolizes, and Dean of Equity and Inclusion Jean-Robert Andre read “Twas the Night Before Pride” to an audience of students and their families.
Those that say this is a Private School and they can do what they want and a case can be made for that. But how far does that go? If a school had an event with as someone said in Blackface would that be allowed? What about other "current events"? Say they showed the kids a live Abortion? What if they segregated all of the Black kids into their own chapel because they said that blacks learn better with their own kind?

If these parents are putting their kids in this school knowing that they are doing this, then that is really on them. But if this school is doing it and shoving it down their parent's throats I hope that the parents start to stand up and tell them to keep their kids out of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies