Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does glamorizing pride effect your spending?
I will try not to spend money at a place that shoves pride in my face 171 56.07%
I am more likely to spend money that shoves pride in my face 30 9.84%
No effect on me 104 34.10%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 05:00 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times

Advertisements

Why does pride stuff for kids bother people so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 05:13 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Because young kids have no need to know about sex. They won't understand and it could confuse them. They should be able to be just kids and not have to worry about maybe I'm really a boy or maybe I'm really a girl. That's the problem when it's being aimed at young kids.

As for adults, we mostly don't care but a lot of us are getting kind of tired of it all. Twenty five years ago the gay pride parade in my town was just a little bit annoying because it got in the way of my shopping trip. Now, all these years later, why do we still need all these pride parades? It's great that anyone is happy with whatever they are but to be so proud of it? Maybe at first it was pride rather than to be ashamed. I can understand that. But after all these years, enough is enough--isn't it? Why flaunt your sexual preferences in public and in a parade? Is this society maybe just a little bit sick and that's why we've become so obsessed with sex? There ARE other things in life and there's a lot of work to be done to fix this country. So why do people just focus on sex? (I'll still vote Democrat but I wish they'd tone it down a bit.)

Old 05-31-2023, 05:37 PM

30 posts, read 28,042 times
Percentage of people who, in 2021, consider themselves LGBT by generation (per statistica.com):

Born 1913 to 1945: 0.8%

Born 1946 to 1964: 2.6%

Born 1965 to 1979: 4.2%

Born 1980 to 1999: 10.5%

Born 1997 to 2002: 20.8%

I'm pretty liberal but I think it's reasonable for people to raise concerns about why these numbers are increasing so much.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:46 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,957,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasmale75225 View Post
Percentage of people who, in 2021, consider themselves LGBT by generation (per statistica.com):

I'm pretty liberal but I think it's reasonable for people to raise concerns about why these numbers are increasing so much.
Thank you. This shows the long term EVOLUTION OF MANKIND from religious extremist persecution to a more open, tolerant and diverse planer. It shows how people were forced into the closet by intolerance.

Soon all the boomers will be dead and gone and today and tomorrows youth will not be subjected to the hatreds of the last 100 years.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:03 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,535,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
And yet, unlike "Pride" month, you rarely hear of this! Why is that?
I've heard of all those things. It's not my fault you're ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Because young kids have no need to know about sex. They won't understand and it could confuse them. They should be able to be just kids and not have to worry about maybe I'm really a boy or maybe I'm really a girl. That's the problem when it's being aimed at young kids.

As for adults, we mostly don't care but a lot of us are getting kind of tired of it all. Twenty five years ago the gay pride parade in my town was just a little bit annoying because it got in the way of my shopping trip. Now, all these years later, why do we still need all these pride parades? It's great that anyone is happy with whatever they are but to be so proud of it? Maybe at first it was pride rather than to be ashamed. I can understand that. But after all these years, enough is enough--isn't it? Why flaunt your sexual preferences in public and in a parade? Is this society maybe just a little bit sick and that's why we've become so obsessed with sex? There ARE other things in life and there's a lot of work to be done to fix this country. So why do people just focus on sex? (I'll still vote Democrat but I wish they'd tone it down a bit.)
There it is. The idea that LGBT people are inherently "sexual" and acknowledging the fact that LGBT people exist will "confuse" kids is laughable. As for pride parades, if you don't like them then don't go. Easy peasy. Cis hetero people "flaunt their sexual preferences" in public and in parades all the time and kids aren't confused by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasmale75225 View Post

The numbers are increasing for the same reason rates of autism spectrum disorder are increasing: better knowledge, greater acceptance, and fewer LGBT people dying from suicide, AIDS, or murder. LGBT people have been oppressed for a very long time so it's only natural to see an uptick in recent years, and at some point it will level off.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:12 PM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Lol...SMH...

Old 05-31-2023, 07:17 PM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Thank you. This shows the long term EVOLUTION OF MANKIND from religious extremist persecution to a more open, tolerant and diverse planer. It shows how people were forced into the closet by intolerance.

Soon all the boomers will be dead and gone and today and tomorrows youth will not be subjected to the hatreds of the last 100 years.
Boomers hated gay people ? If that was true, how did Queen , or David Bowie become popular ?

Old 05-31-2023, 07:35 PM

1,175 posts, read 551,797 times
Quote:
I live in a nice family friendly neighborhood . We have heard and talk about people like you, but never thought I would come across one. And yet here you are! Grow up buttercup!

Old 05-31-2023, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

How is a gay/non-straight relationship any more about sex than a straight relationship? The only way I can see anybody drawing that conclusion is if it’s because anything outside of a straight relationship, one cannot produce children naturally. But how much sex does a straight couple have just to make babies? It’s a small proportion. Straight relationships are modeled to kids without the sex part very successfully, and wearing a rainbow doesn’t introduce anybody to sex. It’s a rainbow. The idea that someone who exists outside of normal straight relationships is just pushing sex/sexualizion doesn’t pass muster for me.

That said, I can agree that it’s gotten a bit overboard with LGBT placements in shows which feel forced, etc. Still, that at least feels fairly benign, and if it’s too over the top I ignore it and get on with my day.

Last edited by jcp123; 05-31-2023 at 08:31 PM..

Old 05-31-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
I live in a nice family friendly neighborhood . We have heard and talk about people like you, but never thought I would come across one. And yet here you are! Grow up buttercup!
What exactly are “people like me”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies