Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2023, 01:23 PM

23,860 posts, read 24,189,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Teens are not going to break into a gun safe, even a cheap one. Even with a sawzall, cheap safes will take 15 or more minutes to cut open, all while making a huge racket.
You need to watch more YouTube videos about breaking into safes, or something. "Cheap" safes can be defeated by dropping them on the floor ("lock box" style) or drilling a hole in the side. Few safe manufacturers put much into the sides & back; just the door. An angle grinder and a pair of vice grips can make rather quick work of most.

If you really want to properly secure your safe, enclose it in a closet-like space with steel plates in the walls. Make it so that a pry bar can't be used on the door and the other surfaces are inaccessible with common/cordless tools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 01:32 PM

51,233 posts, read 36,914,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And that is where my issue is. A locked home, car, cabinet, etc, should be considered secured in the eye's of the law, from criminals. From children roaming around the house, that is a different story.

I should not have to worry about going to jail for leaving my locked home (no children present), with a security system, and camera's , with a firearm in a desk drawer.
But that's not what happened here. The teens were staying with him, and it was just sitting on a shelf in plain view and not secured in any way.

Old 11-16-2023, 01:32 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,140,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You need to watch more YouTube videos about breaking into safes, or something. "Cheap" safes can be defeated by dropping them on the floor ("lock box" style) or drilling a hole in the side. Few safe manufacturers put much into the sides & back; just the door. An angle grinder and a pair of vice grips can make rather quick work of most.

If you really want to properly secure your safe, enclose it in a closet-like space with steel plates in the walls. Make it so that a pry bar can't be used on the door and the other surfaces are inaccessible with common/cordless tools.
Alternately.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Ug4I89c98

Old 11-16-2023, 01:33 PM

51,233 posts, read 36,914,191 times
I find it a bit telling to see the difference between this thread and the thread about the mother who got 21 months when her 6 year old took her gun to school and shot a teacher. There, everyone seems to be in agreement that the mom should be put away for not having the gun locked up, but here it seems to be a defense of gun owners even those with kids, shouldn't have to keep them locked up.

Old 11-16-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I find it a bit telling to see the difference between this thread and the thread about the mother who got 21 months when her 6 year old took her gun to school and shot a teacher. There, everyone seems to be in agreement that the mom should be put away for not having the gun locked up, but here it seems to be a defense of gun owners even those with kids, shouldn't have to keep them locked up.
Have rather stayed out of that case BUT......wasn't the Mother convicted because of her drug use and lying on the federal documents? If so, then we are talking apples and oranges.

EDIT: Here we go: https://www.yahoo.com/gma/mom-virgin...220711628.html

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-16-2023 at 01:49 PM..

Old 11-16-2023, 02:03 PM

19,755 posts, read 10,203,937 times
So anyone who fails to teach their children right from wrong should go to jail. The parents of the gun thief should be prosecuted if the gun owner is

Old 11-16-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So anyone who fails to teach their children right from wrong should go to jail. The parents of the gun thief should be prosecuted if the gun owner is
Sounds good (no, not really but for argument sake)......what is the codified law for that?

Long story short, in the US, we do not prosecute "Well, he must be guilty of something!", laws have been voided for vagueness.

Old 11-16-2023, 02:19 PM

15,644 posts, read 7,679,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, assuming we don't go the course of having a caste system of childless Enforcers and unarmed Parents.......

Once again about "unsecured"......is not someone's locked house a secure place? Is not the arms room a secure place? Is not the interior decorating by Smith & Wesson secure? Ie, Tina: [after Matt has opened his gun cabinet and flipped it around to reveal even more weapons] Who designed this house? Smith and Wesson? (from imdb, The Silencers).....which is to say..... https://libertyhomeconcealment.com/

Who gets to decide what is sufficient.....and who gets to decide what is law?
If you never have children in your house, then you can do whatever you want with your firearms, although it's not smart to leave them out for a thief to steal.

If there are children in the house, then a firearm that is on your body is secure. One that's laying on a coffee table in the living room while you are in the kitchen cooking is not secure. A shotgun or rifle that's on a locking rack next to the front door is secure, and I believe you can get those that are quick access.

The key here is that if a minor gets access to a firearm that is not secured and causes harm to someone, then the person who failed to secure the firearm should be held liable.

The law is set by the legislature and goes into effect when signed by the Governor.

Old 11-16-2023, 02:20 PM

29,774 posts, read 14,840,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But that's not what happened here. The teens were staying with him, and it was just sitting on a shelf in plain view and not secured in any way.
I understand that. Although some are pushing for laws that require unloading, and locked security, either a lock or safe, isn't that happening in your state ?

Old 11-16-2023, 02:24 PM

15,644 posts, read 7,679,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's not up to you to make that determination for anyone but yourself. Maybe I have cheap guns. Maybe I'm rich. Maybe I have more expensive stuff filling up the safe and what's out is overflow. Maybe I don't care about money. You have no idea and no basis whatsoever to make that kind of statement. Zero.

Also interesting is that your motivation appears to be financial, not related to safety. Either that, or you expected that a financial argument would be more convincing to me. Either way, it's very interesting that you chose that argument.
The financial aspect relates to preventing theft of your property. None of my firearms was cheap to acquire, other than one that was gifted. I have a few that are worth a couple of thousand dollars. I am not going to leave them laying around to be stolen, simply because I don't want to have to pay to replace them. The safety aspect is preventing easy access to firearms by minors.

Another financial aspect is that, regardless of state laws on secure storage, if your child finds an unsecured firearm in your house and then shoots me or a member of my family, I will own you in civil court because you were negligent in storing your firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies