Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 07:00 AM

8,216 posts, read 3,481,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That doesn't make sense. Walmart is closing stores due to the rising thefts at the self checkouts? Why not hire a few more people to work the registers and keep the stores open?

There are so many cameras at those self checkouts, why would anyone risk stealing? I guess the thieves are the types that have nothing to lose including their long lost self respect.
It's hard to find manned registers now. The stores are turning their customers into slave laborers just to be able to buy groceries. Walmart is definitely not going to hire more people to run the registers when they can get people to work for free.

Old 12-16-2023, 07:20 AM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
It's hard to find manned registers now. The stores are turning their customers into slave laborers just to be able to buy groceries. Walmart is definitely not going to hire more people to run the registers when they can get people to work for free.
Well when wages raise then you have to have less people working to get the same labor cost.
That's simple economics.

Not just Walmart. Look at FF and their level of automation.

Sure..workers are making more but now you have less workers.

2 people at $10/hour has turned into 1 person at $20/hour

Old 12-16-2023, 07:37 AM

8,216 posts, read 3,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well when wages raise then you have to have less people working to get the same labor cost.
That's simple economics.

Not just Walmart. Look at FF and their level of automation.

Sure..workers are making more but now you have less workers.

2 people at $10/hour has turned into 1 person at $20/hour
The self checkouts were put into place in the stores long before any wage increases.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:10 AM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
The self checkouts were put into place in the stores long before any wage increases.
Not to the extent they are now.

Go to any big retail and see how many empty cashier checkouts there are.
They have grown to prominence in the last 10-15 years.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:15 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 23 days ago)

27,636 posts, read 16,118,635 times
Hire checkers. Pretty simple.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:20 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
My town posts photos from security cameras at two local Walmarts and a Lowe's. The problem doesn't seem to be theft at self-checkouts but people filling a cart with expensive items and walking out the door. I find it interesting that these stores have video of the theft, know exactly the dollar amount of the items stolen, know what kind of vehicle they were driving, and yet they seem unable to stop these thefts. These thefts are typically over $1K.

BTW, I live in a very red area, but not sure that it matters.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:23 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,233,255 times
Blue states? I see this in Florida regularly in deep red areas. You see people scan 2 items and slip the 3rd right by, only scan 2/3 of the cart.

I don’t get a discount for ringing myself up and the groceries are not lower to accommodate for not hiring cashiers or baggers. Seems to me stores are accepting the extra shrink, I don’t see stores putting in more monitors, seems like the extra loss is far less that the cost of hiring more monitors to reduce the problem and more cost effective for them than cashiers and baggers.

I figure within 10 years most stores will be hallowed out with 2-3 employees only and you scan items as you put them in your cart and it charges you like many groceries stores in Europe and Japan. Stores are willing to take more theft to avoid their biggest expense, employees.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:27 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Actually, Walmart says they are closing stores due to "lack of profitability" which means that if a store is bringing in the bucks, despite shoplifting and the theft at the self-checkout lanes, they stay open.

So it could be that blue state shoppers are shopping elsewhere.

I haven't shopped at Walmart for years.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:32 AM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
“Blue cities” would be a more fair statement.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:35 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,233,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That doesn't make sense. Walmart is closing stores due to the rising thefts at the self checkouts? Why not hire a few more people to work the registers and keep the stores open?

There are so many cameras at those self checkouts, why would anyone risk stealing? I guess the thieves are the types that have nothing to lose including their long lost self respect.
Businesses no longer want employees at all, you the employee is the biggest expense and the big corporations cannot wait to replace an everyone with automation, robotics, or online shopping with perhaps pickup at the store.

Face it, the modern corporate plan includes eliminating as many employees as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies