Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 08:42 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

I shop at Walmart all the time, and have increasing difficulty finding what I want in stock. You have to order it, wait 3 days, and pay a delivery fee. Nope.

Last time I was in Walmart, I wanted a thick roll of the brown wrapping paper that's like paper bags, 5 inexpensive give away Christmas stockings, Christmas Cactus OR Amaryllis Bulbs, and Farm Rich frozen breaded mushrooms, and a couple of clay pots. I came away with 3 inexpensive Christmas Stockings, and they didn't have any of the other items.

So they're causing their own demise. The purpose of Walmart is to get in and get out with your long list of stuff, even though the experience itself is unpleasant.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:53 AM

35,667 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
https://www.the-express.com/lifestyl...-states-remove

WalMart shoppers in Maine, Massachusetts, & New Mexico have been stealing from WalMart's self-checkouts, so WalMarts closing some down there in the stores where the theft has been 2x the normal levels.
Shush. Fl is big on Wally free shopping. Ask your local sheriffs dept. and we are red at the moment .

Old 12-16-2023, 08:58 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Blue State residents stealing from WalMart's self-checkouts
How disingenuous of the OP to politicize theft, pretending like Walmart doesn't have self-checkouts in any other states, regardless of their majority political leanings.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:01 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I don't understand the need to make everything blue vs red. Individuals steal. You have no idea how a person identifies politically, and to claim it matters is disingenuous.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:09 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That doesn't make sense. Walmart is closing stores due to the rising thefts at the self checkouts? Why not hire a few more people to work the registers and keep the stores open?

There are so many cameras at those self checkouts, why would anyone risk stealing? I guess the thieves are the types that have nothing to lose including their long lost self respect.
1) Don't assume that those areas are arresting, prosecuting or not just dropping the charges. Several areas declared they wouldn't prosecute <500.

2) In those areas they have people getting assaulted, including checkers. That's the key thing people don't understand...the rampant theft also means OTHER costs like workers' comp, lawsuits for someone getting mugged in the parking lot and of course risk of mass looting and arson all add up to worse than the thefts.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:13 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
[url="https://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/3450004-blue-state-residents-stealing-walmarts-self.html"]
How disingenuous of the OP to politicize theft, pretending like Walmart doesn't have self-checkouts in any other states, regardless of their majority political leanings.
Yes, I totally disagree with their title because it's both inaccurate and opens the door for people to use it for mass denial. Look where the walmarts are closing. Those are cities with very soft crime policies, won't arrest, won't prosecute....places like portland, chicago. Their insurance costs for riot and looting have to be enormous too.

Can't run around waving the banner of progress after all the social justice reforms and then try to claim that they were ALL good and worked out for the better. Some did, some didn't.

P.S. Let's all take a moment to consider whom is being hurt the most by this. Progress for poorer minorities shouldn't include costs going up and stores closing.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:16 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
[url="https://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/3450004-blue-state-residents-stealing-walmarts-self.html"]
Sure they have self checkouts all over.
But the laws regarding shoplifting are not the same all over.

Look for the pattern .....

Old 12-16-2023, 09:17 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Businesses no longer want employees at all, you the employee is the biggest expense and the big corporations cannot wait to replace an everyone with automation, robotics, or online shopping with perhaps pickup at the store.

Face it, the modern corporate plan includes eliminating as many employees as possible.
Indeed.

Can't even remember the last time I saw an employee putting price stickers on products. Robot floor scrubbers wander up and down the aisles.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:17 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I shop at Walmart all the time, and have increasing difficulty finding what I want in stock. You have to order it, wait 3 days, and pay a delivery fee. Nope.

Last time I was in Walmart, I wanted a thick roll of the brown wrapping paper that's like paper bags, 5 inexpensive give away Christmas stockings, Christmas Cactus OR Amaryllis Bulbs, and Farm Rich frozen breaded mushrooms, and a couple of clay pots. I came away with 3 inexpensive Christmas Stockings, and they didn't have any of the other items.

So they're causing their own demise. The purpose of Walmart is to get in and get out with your long list of stuff, even though the experience itself is unpleasant.
Lesson for the day...All Walmarts are not the same in all places.

I shop at mine weekly and it's only during the summer season that I have problems finding things but that's due to the influx of tourists.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:22 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Actually, Walmart says they are closing stores due to "lack of profitability" which means that if a store is bringing in the bucks, despite shoplifting and the theft at the self-checkout lanes, they stay open.

So it could be that blue state shoppers are shopping elsewhere.

I haven't shopped at Walmart for years.
How are you supposed to shop there? Walmart had a two cashier maximum at a store the size of Walmart and then 20 item limits or closing self checkout. Walmart isn't the store anyone goes for a few things and ain't nobody got time to wait in a 45 minute line for one of the two open cash registers. Sounds like they're just moving to 100 percent e-commerce slowly by deciding to shut down stores by making it impossible to shop at and then citing them being unprofitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies