Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 09:23 AM

14,089 posts, read 8,236,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I shop at Walmart all the time, and have increasing difficulty finding what I want in stock. You have to order it, wait 3 days, and pay a delivery fee. Nope.

Last time I was in Walmart, I wanted a thick roll of the brown wrapping paper that's like paper bags, 5 inexpensive give away Christmas stockings, Christmas Cactus OR Amaryllis Bulbs, and Farm Rich frozen breaded mushrooms, and a couple of clay pots. I came away with 3 inexpensive Christmas Stockings, and they didn't have any of the other items.

So they're causing their own demise. The purpose of Walmart is to get in and get out with your long list of stuff, even though the experience itself is unpleasant.
Sure, just like Target, CVC, and Walgreens stores in many cities.

But not in 85205. Very little is locked away and self-checkout lanes numerous esp. at Walmart.

I bought a pair of hiking boots the other day at Walmart and before exiting was asked to show my receipt to the clerk at the door. He then asked I open the box the shoes were in which I did.

I asked the clerk why I had to open the box given I had a receipt. He said thieves will sometimes fill a box with stolen items, scan the box and try to walk out.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:27 AM

22,047 posts, read 25,404,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes, I totally disagree with their title because it's both inaccurate and opens the door for people to use it for mass denial. Look where the walmarts are closing. Those are cities with very soft crime policies, won't arrest, won't prosecute....places like portland, chicago. Their insurance costs for riot and looting have to be enormous too.

Can't run around waving the banner of progress after all the social justice reforms and then try to claim that they were ALL good and worked out for the better. Some did, some didn't.

P.S. Let's all take a moment to consider whom is being hurt the most by this. Progress for poorer minorities shouldn't include costs going up and stores closing.
Texas, Arkansas, Indiana, Virginia, Kansas. I don't know much about the soft crime policies of those locations Walmart is closing stores like you do.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:43 AM

19,803 posts, read 10,236,878 times
Several years ago Walmart said they lost 9% on self check sales. They pulled all of them here for a few years and then put them back.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:48 AM
Status: "I am voting for a Felon because he cannot vote for himself" (set 10 days ago)

876 posts, read 422,239 times
Walmart's mistake in self-checkout was assuming that criminals would actually be held accountable, not declared victims in liberal run areas seeking out reparations because of white colonialism and DA's looking the other way. Or open borders where people from central America now need to stay warm and Chicago has no money to clothe those who partake in the sanctuary city they so publicly gloat about. Oh well, let the adjustment of business practices to be profitable commence.

Old 12-16-2023, 10:04 AM

76,966 posts, read 47,848,423 times
Quote:
Blue State residents stealing from WalMart's self-checkouts
Yes, and red State residents too.

Down here in Florida Home Depots are doing away with self check out registers, and also putting lot of merchandize in gages. Florida ranks #3 is revenue loss due to shoplifting, - right behind Texas.

OP makes a weak attempt at trying to twist something like that into a partisan issue.

Wait for the "yeah, but its those blue pockets in red States" line

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-16-2023 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-16-2023, 10:22 AM

30,420 posts, read 12,017,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Down here in Florida Home Depots are doing away with self check out registers, and also putting lot of merchandize in gages. Florida ranks #3 is revenue loss due to shoplifting, - right behind Texas.

OP makes a weak attempt at trying to twist something like that into a partisan issue.

Wait for the "yeah, but its those blue pockets in red States"
I guess the implication is if everyone votes republican and everything is red. Crime will vanish like magic. Because only blue cities have these problems. However I am in a red state, red county, red town. And the two biggest cities in the state are both republican. And this sort of crime exists all over. Why? Mostly because hard core drug users commit these sorts of crime and they don't face any real punishment if they are caught.

Old 12-16-2023, 10:26 AM

43,743 posts, read 18,763,283 times
Quote:

Guess it must be locale specific.
My HD has 6 self checkouts. They still have 2 humans at the contractor checkout though.

Median age in my town is 60 so maybe age has something to do with it.

Old 12-16-2023, 10:35 AM

14,089 posts, read 8,236,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I guess the implication is if everyone votes republican and everything is red. Crime will vanish like magic. Because only blue cities have these problems. However I am in a red state, red county, red town. And the two biggest cities in the state are both republican. And this sort of crime exists all over. Why? Mostly because hard core drug users commit these sorts of crime and they don't face any real punishment if they are caught.
Of course, but local communities also play a role. Take the issue of vagrancy. Here in 85205 laws are enforced, and business often will not allow panhandling on their property.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/65386509-post68.html

With regards to shoplifting:

Unfortunately, there are some people who will take advantage if an opportunity presents itself. Why pay for a package of ground beef when you can walk out with two for free. It is not like you are stealing from an individual. It is Fry's. A big chain food store. Who cares? F-them.

I first notice theft was a problem at my local Frys store during Covid when there was an employee shortage and no employes in the self-check out area. Signs were posted asking shoppers to keep their reciept as they may be asked to show it.

Today, there area always at least two employees in the self-checkout area. The same with Home Depot up the street which I frequent. Always at least two employees watching.

Last edited by john3232; 12-16-2023 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-16-2023, 10:37 AM

31,372 posts, read 22,352,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
“Blue cities” would be a more fair statement.
Exception being California. But to Democrats, their politicians never caused the problem, even when their politians rule the entire state.

Old 12-16-2023, 10:39 AM

31,372 posts, read 22,352,064 times
Quote:

Denial that Progressive Democrat catch and release policies are responsible for most of the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies