Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:54 AM

194 posts, read 362,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Why not hold up signs showing a vasectomy procedure? A tubal ligation? A hysterectomy? All prevent reproduction, all are against 'God's plan'. Why stop at abortion? Slip, slip down the slope....
Please, none of these procedures end the life of a baby! This isn't about God! This is about protecting human life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:19 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,331,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Today I went out to run some errands, and a religious anti-abortion group was holding up graphic signs of dismembered fetuses on the side of a major road. There was absolutely no way to avoid seeing them. I was disgusted by this, and my first thought was, is this legal??? I mean, anyone who drives down this road is unknowingly forced to look at these graphic images, children included. Whether you are pro-choice or pro-life, do you think this was appropriate? I'm curious to hear people's responses.
I find it very interesting that these are usually the very same people that say nudity, profanity and even violence on TV will corrupt the minds of children...

I think it's judgmental on their part, they see every woman that gets an abortion as a barbarian, I guess they see it as fight fire with fire.

But I think it's a sort of double standard. When a woman wants an abortion the child is a precious gift, when a girl gets knocked up (because birth control is some evil from the lowest level of hell) and asks for help the child is leverage and used as punishment for her irresponsibility.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:50 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,056,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOG View Post
Please, none of these procedures end the life of a baby! This isn't about God! This is about protecting human life!

And in my opinion, already existing life is more important than a fetus.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:54 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,341,138 times
Quote:
What if I say that human life begins with the egg and the sperm? That interfering with conception is thwarting God's plan? That sexual intercourse is only for reproduction? What if? If that's my religious belief (and it is for many conservative religious folk) then any kind of artificial contraception- vasectomies, tubal ligations, condoms, etc- are against God's law. So...let's get up a poster of all those things and walk around with them.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:18 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,430,459 times
Quote:
Why not hold up signs showing a vasectomy procedure? A tubal ligation? A hysterectomy? All prevent reproduction, all are against 'God's plan'. Why stop at abortion? Slip, slip down the slope....
Not sure why you would protest a vasectomy.
They werent protesting reproduction prevention. They view abortion as killing a kid. I have no truble relating to that.

What your talking about is more like if they were protesting women getting their tubes tied. Thats making a choice. An abortion is usually caused because someone put off making a choice.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:44 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,341,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Not sure why you would protest a vasectomy.
They werent protesting reproduction prevention. They view abortion as killing a kid. I have no truble relating to that.

What your talking about is more like if they were protesting women getting their tubes tied. Thats making a choice. An abortion is usually caused because someone put off making a choice.
What I'm saying is that being anti abortion is just one dot on the 'when does life begin' map. The ultra conservative believe that all sperm and eggs are sacred. That preventing any pregnancy is akin to killing life. That sexual intercourse is for procreation ONLY. For them, a vasectomy is against God's teachings because it interferes with God's plan for having children. The most liberal among us believe that life begins when a baby is born and can breath on its own. Where you fall on that continuum defines what graphic medical poster you will carry in traffic, I guess. Vasectomy, Hysterectomy, Abortion or none.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:30 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,951,328 times
Quote:
What if I say that human life begins with the egg and the sperm? That interfering with conception is thwarting God's plan? That sexual intercourse is only for reproduction? What if? If that's my religious belief (and it is for many conservative religious folk) then any kind of artificial contraception- vasectomies, tubal ligations, condoms, etc- are against God's law. So...let's get up a poster of all those things and walk around with them.
Why do you keep bringing god into this? I'm vehemently opposed to abortion, yet claim no religion whatsoever. This has zero to do with god, quit throwing that out there. Why are people so quick to assume that all pro-life people are religious? There are many like myself who are not. I don't consider 'gods plan' in this at all. This is about the basic right to survival, a chance to live.

No one wants to see those images, that I agree with. But, if it causes just one person to actually act responsibly, and think before having sex without considering the consequences, then I'm all for it. If it's on private property, I think they should retain the legal right to present them. People are too wrapped up in worrying about what offends.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:05 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,512,280 times
Quote:
I haven't even mentioned religion or God at all! How do you know I am even a person of faith?! My belief that abortion is repulsive has nothing to do with God!
Then you have nothing at all that can serve as a logical basis for your beliefs.

Quote:
I believe abortion is wrong simply b/c I deem all human life to be valuable...
Then you should stand as well against appendectomies, colonoscopies, and manicures. Each of these reliably results in the destruction of what is undeniably human life. If you don't stand just as firmly against these other procedures, then you have been using the term "human life" to stand for more than what it actually means.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:21 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,323,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Why do you keep bringing god into this? I'm vehemently opposed to abortion, yet claim no religion whatsoever. This has zero to do with god, quit throwing that out there. Why are people so quick to assume that all pro-life people are religious? There are many like myself who are not. I don't consider 'gods plan' in this at all. This is about the basic right to survival, a chance to live.

No one wants to see those images, that I agree with. But, if it causes just one person to actually act responsibly, and think before having sex without considering the consequences, then I'm all for it. If it's on private property, I think they should retain the legal right to present them. People are too wrapped up in worrying about what offends.
A great number of the anti-choice crowd are so because of religious reasons. I don’t believe she said that “all” anti-choice people are religious, albeit a great number are, and proud of it. I find a great number of them to also be anti-woman, anti-medical aid, anti-birth control, anti-housing support, anti-child once born, anti-anti, etc.

You hold your beliefs about a fetus as a religion, though. You blame the woman for acting irresponsibly. Got any words for the men who made her pregnant? They seem to get by scot free in your belief system.

The cult of the fetus is not bound by organized religious ideology; it is however, a control issue.

Against abortion, don’t have one.
It’s not going anywhere, legal or not. I assume you prefer death to the women who would choose to have one, as is the too frequent response when abortion is illegal.

The lies and deception used by the corner groups is patently wrong.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:43 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,723,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
A great number of the anti-choice crowd are so because of religious reasons. I don’t believe she said that “all” anti-choice people are religious, albeit a great number are, and proud of it. I find a great number of them to also be anti-woman, anti-medical aid, anti-birth control, anti-housing support, anti-child once born, anti-anti, etc.

You hold your beliefs about a fetus as a religion, though. You blame the woman for acting irresponsibly. Got any words for the men who made her pregnant? They seem to get by scot free in your belief system.

The cult of the fetus is not bound by organized religious ideology; it is however, a control issue.

Against abortion, don’t have one
It’s not going anywhere, legal or not. I assume you prefer death to the women who would choose to have one, as is the too frequent response when abortion is illegal.

The lies and deception used by the corner groups is patently wrong.
Against slavery, don't own one. Against raping women, don't rape one. Against molesting children, don't molest one.

Ah, ain't moral relativism grand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies