Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:24 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
wal mart lets their employees in china unionize, but not in the us?
Exactly. They also allow European employees to unionize as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 10:25 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Full-time Wal-Mart employees earn an average of $10.11 per hour,[94]bonuses of up to $1000 through the retailer's "My$hare" program.[95] But critics point out that the starting pay can be far lower — placing some employees with children below the poverty line — and that payrates do not rise as quickly as with unionized companies.[96] Others decry low levels of health coverage or overpriced health insurance, though the company reports that it offers rates as low as $5 per month in some areas ($9 per month nationwide) and that 92% of its associates are insured (though not necessarily through Wal-Mart).[97] Other allegations regard poor working conditions, unfavorable employer-employee relationships, and anti-union policies. Many suggest that Wal-Mart's high annual turnover-rate of ~70% shows that workers are dissatisfied and maltreated.[96] potentially supplemented by quarterly

Wal-Mart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It must be horrible working for minimum wage.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:28 AM

I built $100,000 circuit boards for $7.15 to start 10 years ago....in a union.....after 10 years though I could have made $14.70/hr max.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:32 AM

564 posts, read 892,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Would WalMart have the right to fire those union employees?
What? The employees going for unionization? Or if the whole wal-mart becomes unionized?

It is illegal to fire a employee looking into unions or organizing. Well we all know unless we are completely perfect, that if a company wants to get rid of you, your a** will be gone.

Of course a union employee can be fired, 3 strike rule on most offenses within either a year or 6 months. Weapons, drugs, fighting, theft, unreported accident, cursing a supervisor, immediate dismissal.

Late, too many unscheduled leaves, not producing, arguing/causing trouble, blatant disrespect to management, 2 strikes in 6 months your outta here.

2 week clause-The company can let go of any employee the company deems "isn't cut out" and let go with no explanation to the union. There are all kinds of pitfalls in our contract that the company can use to get rid of a lazy/trouble maker, and I welcome them all. Yes even being union your a** can be thrown out, but if management comes after you for no reason they have someone to answer too.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:35 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
An employer does not have the right to hire and fire whomever they want?

For instance - some say they want to join a union (WalMart people). Some say they don't.

So the Union starts dickering on a contract - want the wages to start at, say, $15.00 an hour. WalMart says $8.00. Union says $15.00. WalMart says $8.00.

Union says - we are going to strike.

WalMart says - go ahead.

WalMart brings in replacement workers - @ $8.00 an hour.

Those that did not want a Union keep going to work

Everyone is happy - Opps, except for ....those on strike. They were effectively fired.
Wal*Mart would have the right to bring any replacement they want but they would have to take back any union member who chose to return to work- assuming the strike was a legal strike. So the replacement would be temporary. Those that want to work could continue to do so. And the union does not decide if and when to strike- the members vote to do so. While a strike is not in the interest of union members it is also not in the interest of Wal*Mart either. It would be better for them both to settle on $11 per hour. I seriously doubt that Wal*Mart can effectively run in the middle of a strike- especially in non right to work states where service providers such as truck drivers, utility workers, service workers and delivery people are unionized and will not cross the UFCW picket line. It didn't work out so well when Safeway tried it.

Safeway Strike Starts to Bite

Which is why Safeway and the union took a less bitter route the next time

Safeway, union pact averts strike | TheUnion.com (http://www.theunion.com/article/20071204/NEWS/112040152/-1/rss01 - broken link)

Old 08-02-2008, 10:35 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
What? The employees going for unionization? Or if the whole wal-mart becomes unionized?

It is illegal to fire a employee looking into unions or organizing. Well we all know unless we are completely perfect, that if a company wants to get rid of you, your a** will be gone.
Oh - I'm not suggesting firing them because they are looking into unions etc.

I am suggesting however that, if workers vote for a union - the company does not have to agree to a contract -

Old 08-02-2008, 10:36 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Default Presidential election requires very little research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Well I hope WalMart and others would vote as a reflection of their beliefs and the merits of a candidate. We certainly see many people in here that aim to influence others. I say research all the parties and their candidates... There are more than 2. then pick the best one...even if it isnt a Dem or Rep
Having begun my voting life as a Democrat, but having observed it for the past forty years and especially where it is now, I have essentially eliminated the Party from any further research. The Republicans are fast going the same way but not just yet simply because I don't want a Democrat in the Whitehouse while they also control the Congress. This Presidential election requires very little research.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I built $100,000 circuit boards for $7.15 to start 10 years ago....in a union.....after 10 years though I could have made $14.70/hr max.
Most union jobs top out at 3 to 5 years when the employee becomes a Journeyman. 10 years is unusual for wage progression. At my job, it is 5 years.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 AM

564 posts, read 892,953 times
Quote:
An employer does not have the right to hire and fire whomever they want?

For instance - some say they want to join a union (WalMart people). Some say they don't.

So the Union starts dickering on a contract - want the wages to start at, say, $15.00 an hour. WalMart says $8.00. Union says $15.00. WalMart says $8.00.

Union says - we are going to strike.

WalMart says - go ahead.

WalMart brings in replacement workers - @ $8.00 an hour.

Those that did not want a Union keep going to work

Everyone is happy - Opps, except for ....those on strike. They were effectively fired.

Sorry-No one is going to work for $8 an hour, walmart would sign in a minute to keep those stores open. $12 an hour + health care and paid vacations, holidays. Management would sign in a minute, with a 3 year spread of annual increases of 40-50cents per hour. That's a start.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Most union jobs top out at 3 to 5 years when the employee becomes a Journeyman. 10 years is unusual for wage progression. At my job, it is 5 years.

It equated out to about $1.15.....every 1 for 10 years...then maxed out.
It was a defense contractor..things were spent a little different than the average gov. contracts.

40-48 was time and half
48+ was double time
40+ on on holidy was double time and half
OT was after 8 hours a day.

GD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies