Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It equated out to about $1.15.....every 1 for 10 years...then maxed out.
It was a defense contractor..things were spent a little different than the average gov. contracts.

40-48 was time and half
48+ was double time
40+ on on holidy was double time and half
OT was after 8 hours a day.

GD
Same at my job except that holidays are triple time- no matter how many hours you worked that week even if the holiday is the only day you work- or double time and a day off in lieu- the employee's choice. We do not get the Friday after Thanksgiving as a holiday either. Most everybody puts it down as their Personal Holiday (we get 4) but the bosses often force people to work it anyway which means you get the triple or double and a another day off for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 06:36 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
When you get right down to it, what "rights" do worker have to expect:

Safe working conditions (as safe as the particular job permits)

Non Discrimination based on the various protected classes

To be paid, for their work, in the amount and timing as agreed to when hired

To receive whatever benefits, if any, were offered at the time of hiring

That's about it

The point is - the employer is not necessarily obligated in many cases to provide benefits such as health insurance, vacations etc. Benefits are simply a "contract" matter between the employee and employer. Many however seem to believe that benefits are REQUIRED - and they are not.
Well said....

Old 08-03-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, because of bad management decisions such as poor engineering and quality control. Because they let the bean-counters run the works.

I worked out of a union hiring hall for 35 years and worked for dozens of contractors both well and poorly run. Some made lots of money and some went belly-up, all using labor from the same pool.

GM and Chrysler were organized in the 1930s and Ford around 1940. And NOW their troubles are caused by the unions?

By the way, BMW and Mercedes use union German workers. Hyundai uses union workers in Korea. Now they come over here to find American workers who'll cringe and work cheap. Interesting that now the Germans and Koreans look at us as a source of cheap and compliant labor, you know, the way Americans look at the Mexicans and Chinese. How does it feel to be held in contempt by the Germans and Koreans?
That is true! If you look at the Hiring Hall system for craft people (plumbers, carpenters, eletricians, iron workers, masons) the contractors hire the SAME people from the SAME hiring hall yet some of them go out of business and some of them grow into huge construction companies.
As for the foreign car makers, unlike GM and Ford, ALL their important work is done in their countries by UNION labour. All the Americans do is basically put the car together out of the quality parts made overseas by the union workers.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Luckily my wife or I have never had to pay union dues. Had we been required to, we would have found another employer.
Which is your right. But you would not have found an employer that would pay the same wages and give you the same benefits. There is a reason why union jobs are hard to get- nobody ever leaves them!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
You just insulted over a million Americans...
Only a million?

Old 08-03-2008, 06:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
But you would not have found an employer that would pay the same wages and give you the same benefits.
HORSE PUCKY KevK

Union membership is going down as a percentage of the workforce -

Corrupt union leadership

Inept union leadership -

Etc

AND, I can absolutely guarantee you I can find you NON UNION jobs with high pay and better benefits than UNION jobs (same type) - GUARANTEE

Old 08-03-2008, 07:14 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
AND, I can absolutely guarantee you I can find you NON UNION jobs with high pay and better benefits than UNION jobs (same type) - GUARANTEE

A bold assertion. Tell ya what, find me a non union pipefitter job in Chicago that pays better than belonging to 597. Go on now.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
A bold assertion. Tell ya what, find me a non union pipefitter job in Chicago that pays better than belonging to 597. Go on now.
I go where I know - Las Vegas - Entertainment Capital of the World. And, a strong Union town (as for gaming properties)

Own owner with several properties - Sheldon Adelson - owns the Venetian and Plazzeo - multi Billion Dollar properties -

His properties are NON UNION - with better benefits than any Union property on the Strip. Union workers leave Union properties and apply for a job with Sheldon.

Unions suck

Old 08-03-2008, 07:34 PM

74 posts, read 138,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
You just insulted over a million Americans...
Wal-Mart has One Million employees?

Good for them!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:34 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
Yep, that is a bold assertion. Where I work we have a union location and a non union location for one particular type of product. The union guys make close to double for the same work. There is also all kinds of Union BS the union plant has to deal with. A non union person picks up a box, file a grievance becase you are taking work away from a union member.

I am torn with Unions because they always go too far. With no Unions, you get WalMart, one step above slavery. With Unions, they always go too far until they rip the competitive bowels out of the company, like the major auto makers.

Too bad there is no middle ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies