Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 12:01 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
How is it different from unions telling people how to vote?
I was in a union & was never told how to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 12:05 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I was in a union & was never told how to vote.
Same here, and I've been a member of 3 different unions when I was employed as a hospital coder.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:12 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Ah - no - Unionizing WalMart would be a lousy thing -

Most workers (not all) at WalMart are part time - Seniors supplementing their income (who do not need "benefits") - Students who are furthering their education - people who are doing a second job -

There are no "benefits" to being in a Union - quite the opposite -

No Unions
I don't think so. Wal-Mart is so huge it would probably only need to increase in price by a penny or two on the socks it sells to meet most of the union demands.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:17 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
Unions are GREAT for business!!

Signed,

GM, Ford, Dodge

Old 08-02-2008, 12:21 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
But it's not the purpose of union to manage a business. Management at GM, Ford, and Dodge have been the problem. Unions didn't tell management to try to go crazy selling gas guzzling SUV's and pickup trucks. Did a union tell GM to turn out Hummers? I don't think so.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But it's not the purpose of union to manage a business. Management at GM, Ford, and Dodge have been the problem. Unions didn't tell management to try to go crazy selling gas guzzling SUV's and pickup trucks. Did a union tell GM to turn out Hummers? I don't think so.
The Big 3 were in trouble long before the recent oil increase and anti-SUV fad.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:57 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
The Big 3 were in trouble long before the recent oil increase and anti-SUV fad.

Yeah, because of bad management decisions such as poor engineering and quality control. Because they let the bean-counters run the works.

I worked out of a union hiring hall for 35 years and worked for dozens of contractors both well and poorly run. Some made lots of money and some went belly-up, all using labor from the same pool.

GM and Chrysler were organized in the 1930s and Ford around 1940. And NOW their troubles are caused by the unions?

By the way, BMW and Mercedes use union German workers. Hyundai uses union workers in Korea. Now they come over here to find American workers who'll cringe and work cheap. Interesting that now the Germans and Koreans look at us as a source of cheap and compliant labor, you know, the way Americans look at the Mexicans and Chinese. How does it feel to be held in contempt by the Germans and Koreans?

Old 08-02-2008, 02:39 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Well kev, do a little research It's well documented what wal mart has done to it's employee's. Off the top of my head-helping employees fill out medicaid and other gov aids so they don't have to pay medical benefits, placing that cost on you and me, while raking in record billion$ profits.

YouTube - The Wal-Mart Health Care Crisis...

YouTube - WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price -- teaser trailer

YouTube - Wal-Mart: The Real Story

YouTube - Waiting on Wal-Mart to Do The Right Thing

YouTube - Wal-Mart Pressures Employees to Vote Republican
Don't see any sources for those "youtube" claims. I would like to verify their claims, can you provide some real evidence or is youtube your one stop resource?

Old 08-02-2008, 02:40 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Unions can no longer spend contributions from member dues. However, they will ask if you want to donate on behalf of the Unions choice. I declined. My dues do not go to any candidates, another myth busted.
Luckily my wife or I have never had to pay union dues. Had we been required to, we would have found another employer.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:42 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Unions are GREAT for business!!

Signed,

GM, Ford, Dodge
LOL! Now that's funny!

But so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies