Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 03:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Luckily my wife or I have never had to pay union dues. Had we been required to, we would have found another employer.
And in trying to find a non unionized employer you would likely have to settle for getting paid less than at the unionized place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 03:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And in trying to find a non unionized employer you would likely have to settle for getting paid less than at the unionized place.
I don't know where you are but - not around here - pretty darn competitive - hence why Unions don't do well here for the most part -

And then you have jobs where you got Union and Non Union working on the same site -

Old 08-03-2008, 03:34 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Unions are GREAT for business!!

Signed,

GM, Ford, Dodge
Damned right you are and more than you care to realize! Because the higher pay unionized car workers got paid ended up in the cash registers of a heck of a lot more businesses than GM, Ford, and Dodge!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:48 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I don't know where you are but - not around here - pretty darn competitive - hence why Unions don't do well here for the most part -

And then you have jobs where you got Union and Non Union working on the same site -

The union rate sets the bar. Talent chases money and historically the union jobs pay better. Thus the non union employer must either meet the union rate or use inferior help; usually the non union employer is content to get what he gets paying less.

Even when they meet union rate on the check non union employers don't meet the total package of the union rate---pension, insurance, vacation pay and such. They hope to get younger and more naive workers who aren't looking down the road at their future.

When I was an apprentice teacher in my trade we had many young people who came over to us from the non union side. I never saw anyone go the other way.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:52 PM

When you get right down to it, what "rights" do worker have to expect:

Safe working conditions (as safe as the particular job permits)

Non Discrimination based on the various protected classes

To be paid, for their work, in the amount and timing as agreed to when hired

To receive whatever benefits, if any, were offered at the time of hiring

That's about it

The point is - the employer is not necessarily obligated in many cases to provide benefits such as health insurance, vacations etc. Benefits are simply a "contract" matter between the employee and employer. Many however seem to believe that benefits are REQUIRED - and they are not.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
When I was an apprentice teacher in my trade we had many young people who came over to us from the non union side. I never saw anyone go the other way.
In Las Vegas, the CCEA - the Clark County Education Association (Union), in one of the fastest growing school districts in the country, is LOSING members - the Union has been totally ineffective. There has been fraud. Teachers just don't want them anymore. They are doing better WITHOUT the union

Old 08-03-2008, 03:59 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In Las Vegas, the CCEA - the Clark County Education Association (Union), in one of the fastest growing school districts in the country, is LOSING members - the Union has been totally ineffective. There has been fraud. Teachers just don't want them anymore. They are doing better WITHOUT the union

No doubt there are badly run unions. There are also badly run companies but that is no reason to not have companies, know what I mean?

Old 08-03-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
No doubt there are badly run unions. There are also badly run companies but that there are is no reason not to have companies, know what I mean?
Union membership out in the west is not that popular in a lot of cases - more problems than they are worth

Couple of years ago - the Union representing grocery clerks and checkers in So. Cal called for a strike -

Well the strike went on for months - many lost their homes over it - and when it was settled - everyone got a raise - .05 an hour. Yep - 5 cents.

Then - it was found out that the President and Treasurer of the local had taken members monies and bought brand new Mercedes with them -

It's one of the reasons I oppose Unions -

Old 08-03-2008, 05:36 PM

74 posts, read 138,591 times
It is in the employees of Wal-Mart's best interest to vote Republican. I have no problem with the executives of Wal-Mart pointing that out to the retards who work there.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:25 PM

564 posts, read 892,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilleeBob View Post
It is in the employees of Wal-Mart's best interest to vote Republican. I have no problem with the executives of Wal-Mart pointing that out to the retards who work there.
You just insulted over a million Americans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies