Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 03:50 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,217,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I don't have health care at the moment, and I would never expect someone else to pay for it for me. people like me make you sick because you don't like to hear opposing points of view and you can't stand to have someone point out flaws. trust me, I have lived through things that you could never even imagine, and they were all my choice, and I fought to overcome the adversity alone.
Ahhhh, you don't have health care at the moment. So what if you're one of those unfortunate people who develop a rare and terminal cancer, or what if you're unfortunate enough to fall and break your back and become paralized, now WHO DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO PAY FOR YOUR MEDICAL CARE? Medicaid and other forms of public assistance. First you'll go to a Public County Hospital emergency room. WHO DO YOU THINK PAYS FOR THAT?

The VERY FACT that you do not have health care insurance IS YOUR ACTION WHICH PROVES THAT YOU DO, IN FACT, EXPECT THE PUBLIC TO TAKE CARE OF YOU IF YOU HAVE SOME CATOSTROPHIC ILLNESS OR INJURY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
perhaps you should read the title of the thread. why do "so many" people choose to be poor. I would venture to guess that about 90% of people choose to live this way. for every 1 personal catastrophe, there are 50 people addicted to drugs, alcohol, tobacco, expensive things they can't afford. you are now trying to generalize why people feel this way. if I am not mistaken, you were a school teacher, not a psychologist.

Gotta a link to back up those stats?

Old 05-17-2009, 03:52 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
um, you do realize that you are debating with someone who is no longer a member right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Ahhhh, you don't have health care at the moment. So what if you're one of those unfortunate people who develop a rare and terminal cancer, or what if you're unfortunate enough to fall and break your back and become paralized, now WHO DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO PAY FOR YOUR MEDICAL CARE? Medicaid and other forms of public assistance. First you'll go to a Public County Hospital emergency room. WHO DO YOU THINK PAYS FOR THAT?

The VERY FACT that you do not have health care insurance IS YOUR ACTION WHICH PROVES THAT YOU DO, IN FACT, EXPECT THE PUBLIC TO TAKE CARE OF YOU IF YOU HAVE SOME CATOSTROPHIC ILLNESS OR INJURY.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:53 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
um, who besides a child makes minimum wage?
oh, such a realistic conservative voice. i'm sure only teenagers do minimum wage jobs. lol

i noticed that businesses only run after school lets them out.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Knowledge = Opportunities
Good education, good genes, good luck, good people skills, good factual knowledge base, good connections = Opportunities.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:56 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
sorry. if you are above 20 and making minimum wage, you deserve what you get. I have NEVER in my life made minimum wage. but to answer your question, yes you can live off minimum wage. you will just have to live with other people and drive a crappy car. cry me a river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
oh, such a realistic conservative voice. i'm sure only teenagers do minimum wage jobs. lol

i noticed that businesses only run after school lets them out.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
...humor aside, i was referring to your stunted conceptualization on said subject.

IMHO

Old 05-17-2009, 04:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
can someone live on minimum wage without any help at all?

can they pay for medical insurance if the employer or the state doesn't provide it?

can they actually purchase a decent car, afford gas and pay insurance?

can they afford an apartment, food and clothing?

all this after taxes, is it possible? the current miminum wage is 6.55 per hour.

they will be barely skating by if they can afford half on the list. so no, not everyone can be middle-class.
What I did is what most normal people can do. I worked my way through college, chose a career field I knew I could find a job doing. Kept going to college to get another career which I now do.

I've lived in not the best mobile homes but own a house now, I never buy new cars. I don't spend extravantly but have some things I want. No cell phones, no cable television. I've worked 2 jobs most of my life but am not working 2 jobs right now.

Yes I worked minimum wage jobs -- especially at first but even in college I chose waiting on tables in a restaurant because I could get more than minimum wage that way.

Anyone with an IQ over 70 could be middle class -- but you're right, the severely disabled probably can't make it on their own.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:04 PM

18,404 posts, read 19,031,744 times
may people in hawaii of every age work at minimum wage and not by choice

Old 05-17-2009, 04:05 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
sorry. if you are above 20 and making minimum wage, you deserve what you get. I have NEVER in my life made minimum wage. but to answer your question, yes you can live off minimum wage. you will just have to live with other people and drive a crappy car. cry me a river.

i'm definitely not making minimum wage and i'm not crying a river, you dunce. you are going off on a tangent that does not address the topic.

just because you've never made minimum wage doesn't mean OTHERS haven't started at minimum wage or are not currently working at minimum wage.

even if one made ten dollars an hour they would not be in the middle-class bracket. care to try again? this time i suggest you use logic if you are able. there are many jobs that do not pay well.

this thread's topic stated emphatically that people choose to be poor. address it logically and i hope your profession does not require the full function of your brain, since it seems to be short-circuiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies