Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:38 AM

234 posts, read 294,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If some of you visited the US or actually lived here for a while you would understand why many don't feel they need to be armed to the gills. It's easy to regurgitate the myths and worn out phrases you pick up from who knows where.
Really…tell this to monkeywrenching

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I think that a person should be able to defend himself with any type of firearm he can use. including AK47,SKS, M16, M203, M240, M60, M3, M1A, M14, Galil, Barret 99, 95, 82A1 and any type of pistol, rifle or shotgun they deem necessary for self defense. Any type of firearm he can use to protect himself from crooks and the goverment is always good.

Now maybe you dont have alot of crime there, but I think it is highly mighty of anyones goverment to take firearms away from its law abiding citizens, just to have a feel good policy in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 12:04 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
So lets review.......calling out Brits for bad dental hygiene is ignorant, mean spirited behavior --- but everyone knows that all Americans are gunned to the teeth and have shoot outs every day?
Either the UKs educational system is worse then our own, or somebody is a bit of a hypocrit
Dude create a thread about bad teeth if that's what you get off on. This is about guns. Now stop being a little boy and discuss the matter at hand.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:14 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
........The gun fight in the Toys R Us store was between rival gang members, not over the toys.
That can't be. Gang members aren't allowed to have guns.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:40 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
That can't be. Gang members aren't allowed to have guns.

Very true! Gun control laws in the United States prohibit criminals from possessing firearms. Why the same do is a mystery...don't y'all think?

Old 11-29-2008, 01:43 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
If it makes you feel better I lived in the US for almost 2 decades. Lived on the West Coast, SW, Deep South and South East and travelled extensively mainland and territories and the only time I felt I needed gun was a time I kept company with some unsavoury charcters. I also made sure I had a gun if I was driving cross country on my own.

See some of us do talk from expereince . Usually I click on peoples profiles before I respond.
Good for you, Miss Raggy dee Ann. You made a rational choice based on reality. Too bad so many of your fellow countrymen are not allowed to do the same. All the while, the criminals control the streets.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:13 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
And the relevance of a few gunfreaks posting on a forum?
Well the point is just because someone likes and owns weapons that doesn't make them violent.And here are some more points to the fact that denying people ownership only hurts those that wouldn't do anything wrong anyway most likely.And here is the point that those that will do violence will find a way to do it no matter how much you restrict people.

BBC NEWS | UK | Who supplies the guns on our streets?

Japan questions itself over mass murderer | BreakingNews.ie

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Oct20/0,4670,ASSKoreaStabbingSpree,00.html (broken link)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_w...stabbing_.html

BBC NEWS | England | Merseyside | Teenager charged with Rhys murder

BBC NEWS | Northern Ireland | Policewoman jailed over shooting (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7350285.stm - broken link)

BBC NEWS | Scotland | Glasgow, Lanarkshire and West | Workers fend off machete attack

BBC NEWS | Wales | North West Wales | Student died in 'revenge attack'

BBC NEWS | Wales | Gang 'tortured man in two cities'

Old 11-29-2008, 03:46 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Dude create a thread about bad teeth if that's what you get off on. This is about guns. Now stop being a little boy and discuss the matter at hand.
If I'm not mistaken, you were the one who was upset that someone (not me) brought up the stereotype of state of teeth in the UK. I believe you said something to the effect that making such a broad generalization was ignorant. And you would be correct.
But then, your next post was filled with stereotypes of Americans with guns strapped to every limb. How ridiculous - and hypocritical - is that?
So, my post was very much 'at hand', and you still haven't answered the crux of my post which was -- aren't you being just a tad hypocritical?
I did read where you stated you lived in the US for 20 years and apparently everyone all over the country that you knew had guns.
Well, I have lived in the US for 40 years and the only person I know to have owned a gun in the past was my dh....and he hasn't owned a gun for well over 20 years. Oops...there is a cop that lives down the street from me, I would assume he currently has a gun. But that is it. And I live in the Great Plains region for Christ sake....my experience isn't unique.

Btw....I am not a dude, nor am I little boy.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:35 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
If it makes you feel better I lived in the US for almost 2 decades. Lived on the West Coast, SW, Deep South and South East and travelled extensively mainland and territories and the only time I felt I needed gun was a time I kept company with some unsavoury charcters. I also made sure I had a gun if I was driving cross country on my own.

See some of us do talk from expereince . Usually I click on peoples profiles before I respond.
Congratulations!

Frankly, though, I don't care about what experience you claim to have - if you'd spent as much time in the US as you say, you'd know that not everyone is a gun-totin' redneck or "armed to the gills". Either you have spent that much time here and you're just overstating (read: lying) what you saw while here to try and further your point, or you didn't spend that much time here. Either way, you're lying about something.

On a side note, I had my Glock 27 on my hip when I went to the gun store to pick up an "assault weapon" (as defined by HR 1022) today. While I was out, I also went to the bank, the tobacco store, the grocery store and picked up some lunch. Amazingly, nobody lost their life.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
if you follow the BBC news at all, that is a wonderful idea.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I bet those i9n India wished they had had the right to carrying arms. Its the same everywhere that people think that the poice will save them or the army. Most times it is the same in your house;the criminals are long gone leave the victims as they choose if they do not have guns to defend themnslves. I say if you don't want one that is fine with me;but I definely want to defend my family and myself.If you don't put them in the hands of fruitcakes does that mean most Brits are fruitcakes. I can agree you don't need them at soccer games for sure or in the hands of those binge drinkers. Maybe the victims of thye binge drinekrs might like one tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies