Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 07:29 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,311,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Congratulations!

Frankly, though, I don't care about what experience you claim to have - if you'd spent as much time in the US as you say, you'd know that not everyone is a gun-totin' redneck or "armed to the gills". Either you have spent that much time here and you're just overstating (read: lying) what you saw while here to try and further your point, or you didn't spend that much time here. Either way, you're lying about something.

On a side note, I had my Glock 27 on my hip when I went to the gun store to pick up an "assault weapon" (as defined by HR 1022) today. While I was out, I also went to the bank, the tobacco store, the grocery store and picked up some lunch. Amazingly, nobody lost their life.
One other thing swagger, I don't know if you were being facetious about your errand running with your glock, but you seem to revel in it. I'm thinking you think it's impressive huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 10:02 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I always find your more erudite rational American will debate and argue sensibly. The more ignorant back water type, usually get bent outta shape and start spewing rubbish.
"Ignorant back water type"? LOL.

Yup. I shure doo miss them thar swamps ye find in Los Angeles, whare I wuz born 'n raized. Ya find sum durn good hogs fer shootin' on 3rd 'n Figueroa.

Look, regardless of how much time you may or may not have spent in this country, the impression you either have or are trying to put forth regarding how the average American feels about guns is very, very wrong. There are plenty of Americans who have the same wrong perspective, so don't think that you're special or anything - they're just as ignorant as you. That you have apparently spent a good amount of time in this country only serves to magnify your ignorance. Like I said, congratulations. You may be up for a prize this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefig View Post
I didn't realise America was in the middle of such a brutal civil war that calls for an 'assault weapon" to be carried even to the grocery store. Who did you expect to be assaulted by? - another heavily armed opponent with paranoid tendencies out on a homicidal rampage? Ever thought of getting your own sherman tank?

Jeez, I'm so glad I left America for a more civilised country where guns are illegal.
"Hey Joe, we need a reading comprehension check on aisle five!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
One other thing swagger, I don't know if you were being facetious about your errand running with your glock, but you seem to revel in it. I'm thinking you think it's impressive huh?
Nope - I carry it with me most places, except in the summer, when the Glock is too bulky. I carry a little .32 then.

And amazingly, I've never shot anyone!

Do you have car insurance? Do you have health insurance? Do you have homeowners insurance?

I have life insurance. My policy was a one-time purchase - no annual premiums. I also know that I won't have any problems with the underwriter paying out if, God forbid, I ever need to "file a claim".

Old 11-29-2008, 11:03 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,522 times
Now what WAS it...EXACTLY that killed child "P"?

WELFARE KILLED HIM!!! A murderous oxymoron state of affairs if ever there was one....

Old 11-29-2008, 11:22 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,596,172 times
[quote=purplefig;6355805]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
``British Citizens Rally because of GUN BAN``??...Total B/S!!
The rally was organised by the Countryside Alliance, of which incidently I`m a member of. I`ve seen some things twisted on here and misrepresented to suit an agenda but this takes the biscuit. I supported the rally because I support hunting with dogs, as do all that attended the rally. They did NOT hold the rally to support a willy nilly gun ownership policy. How many times does it need to be said?? Gun ownership in the UK is NOT banned. I shoot myself as 99% of those on the rally do.
If anyone in the UK wants to hold a rally in support of the type of gun ownership seen in the US then feel free. But don`t hijack and steal someone else`s that had nothing to do with the subject..

So sorry you keep missing! (see your own words in pink, above).
If I ever do manage to hit myself I`ll make sure you`re stood on the wrong side of me. It would be a shame not to take some vermin with me ..
The more I read the more I realise where the true obsession lies. I don`t give a damn about US gun laws. What has become obvious is US gun owners do have an unhealthy interest in other countries gun laws. Why should that be?? Could it be because they are running scared of opinion their own country?? Looking to other countries who have similar laws in the hope it will reinforce and support their own views?? I think so.
When it comes to pointing out the UK . That direction is taken so as to say `Look how our laws could become`. If that is the reason then you can`t be blamed for doing it. But shouldn`t you really be standing on your own feet and trusting your own argument that you put to your own democracy??
This whole thread was started with a twisted misrepresentation and a lie. Hardly the way to put across your argument is it??
As a UK gun owner I`m quite happy, as is everyone I know, with our gun laws. The only change we would make is to give a mandatory 10yr sentence for illegal possesion rather than the present 5yrs.
Owning guns for sport has been a pleasure of mine for 30yrs and no one is suggesting taking that away from me, or I believe yourselves. But take away the sport element and I see no purpose for ownership whatsoever, at least in the UK. If there is so much fear in the US that people wish to own guns for any other purpose, then that is a truly sad situation and I feel for you....

Old 11-29-2008, 11:41 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
take away the sport element and I see no purpose for ownership whatsoever
Our 2nd Amendment exists not for sport or self-defense, but to defend the country against tyranny. Our founding fathers recognized that an armed populace is the only way to guarantee freedom.

If you're ok with the gun laws in your country, great. I won't tell you that they're wrong. Your country, your government, your laws. If you're content with them, I'm glad.

If you should you choose to preach that your laws are suitable for my country, however, I'll have no problem whatsoever telling you where to stuff it.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:46 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,596,172 times
I wouldn`t dream of it..My post does say I couldn`t give a damn about your gun laws. I think that was plain enough. It`s just a shame more Americans don`t take the same attitude to other countries. As my post also attempted to point out.
I agree with your post Swagger. It`s as near to relevant as I`ve seen...

Old 11-30-2008, 12:49 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Shrubs View Post
Well…why stop there. You forgot to mention the M2 heavy machine gun, M242 25 mm. Bushmaster, XM307 portable autocanon. How about same M1 40mm anti-aircraft guns or Mauser BK-27 capable of shooting 1800 rounds per minute. But even then the government still would be better arm than me, so how about some 130mm naval guns. They will look so cool in my dryway. And I definitely need a tank with a 120mm gun.
O and I forgot few bazookas and racket launchers for my kids.
Even then the government and some criminals will be better arm. Unless every one of us gets that entire staff I mention and we can stand against our government, you know the one we democratically elected.

well, the crew served weapons might be a bit much, but all the rest are perfectly fine. including all the automatics too.

also, the parents decide when to start giving their children their constitutional rights, not even the goverment can do that until the child reaches their majority at age 18.

might be elected, but it was not the supramajority, just a majority. also just because someone gets elected, it does not mean that you trust them. look how much liberals trusted bushie. I feel even more strongly against having obama as potus.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:30 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,437,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Our 2nd Amendment exists not for sport or self-defense, but to defend the country against tyranny. Our founding fathers recognized that an armed populace is the only way to guarantee freedom.

If you're ok with the gun laws in your country, great. I won't tell you that they're wrong. Your country, your government, your laws. If you're content with them, I'm glad.

If you should you choose to preach that your laws are suitable for my country, however, I'll have no problem whatsoever telling you where to stuff it.
I have no problem with the second amendment....I think it's fine. Although the intended purpose for it, as you said correctly, being able to defend ourselves against tyranny, doesn't really work today. Back then with the population as small as it was, that was a possiblity and being able to own a musket, made the playing field even (because a tyrant and his army would not have had any weapons that were much better). When you look at today, it's a lot less likely that any thing like that could ever happen (even if we were unarmed) but, lets say it did, even with the weapons we're allowed to own, it wouldn't help much against an army.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:21 AM

56 posts, read 66,842 times
[quote=LINCOLNSHIRE;6359180]
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefig View Post

If I ever do manage to hit myself I`ll make sure you`re stood on the wrong side of me. It would be a shame not to take some vermin with me ..
Clever of you to spot me as a crafty fox posting on this thread. You huntin' shootin' types must have a rudimentary brain after all. What would the UK be like without the likes of your good self to keep it free of vermin? I dread to think. Hooray for all 'civilised sport' then, since killing is such jolly good fun...

Or could it be that you have too much time on your hands?

Old 11-30-2008, 08:29 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I have no problem with the second amendment....I think it's fine. Although the intended purpose for it, as you said correctly, being able to defend ourselves against tyranny, doesn't really work today. Back then with the population as small as it was, that was a possiblity and being able to own a musket, made the playing field even (because a tyrant and his army would not have had any weapons that were much better). When you look at today, it's a lot less likely that any thing like that could ever happen (even if we were unarmed) but, lets say it did, even with the weapons we're allowed to own, it wouldn't help much against an army.
Maybe not, but the alternative (denied the right at all) would be much worse, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies