Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
the intended purpose for it, as you said correctly, being able to defend ourselves against tyranny, doesn't really work today.
I could direct you to thousands of posts on this site alone where people have accused Bush of being a fascist and/or "shredding the Constitution". Talk of a "police state" isn't uncommon.

What's funny is that a lot of the people in that camp are the same people who would love to see the 2nd Amendment repealed. Idiots, all of them. If they truly believe what they say about Bush et al, then they should be supporting the 2nd Amendment and stocking up on arms themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
even with the weapons we're allowed to own, it wouldn't help much against an army.
I need to do a blog post on this so I can just point to it every time someone says something like this...

Who makes up the military? Citizens. People who would be pretty unlikely to kill their neighbors, regardless of their orders. If it came to revolution, the size of the military would shrink dramatically. Even at full strength, they'd have to use nukes to stand any chance against 50-150 MILLION armed citizens, and they're not likely to use nukes on the soil they're trying to claim/defend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:39 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,018 times
[quote=purplefig;6361270]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post

Clever of you to spot me as a crafty fox posting on this thread. You huntin' shootin' types must have a rudimentary brain after all. What would the UK be like without the likes of your good self to keep it free of vermin? I dread to think. Hooray for all 'civilised sport' then, since killing is such jolly good fun...

Or could it be that you have too much time on your hands?
Yes lots of it, and all paid for...Run Reynard!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:47 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Our 2nd Amendment exists not for sport or self-defense, but to defend the country against tyranny. Our founding fathers recognized that an armed populace is the only way to guarantee freedom.

And pray tell what country forced us to enact such an Amendment to our Constitution?

THANK YOU ENGLAND!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:51 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And pray tell what country forced us to enact such an Amendment to our Constitution?

THANK YOU ENGLAND!!!
You`re welcome old chap...Now live with it...

Old 11-30-2008, 10:55 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Who makes up the military? Citizens. People who would be pretty unlikely to kill their neighbors, regardless of their orders. If it came to revolution, the size of the military would shrink dramatically. Even at full strength, they'd have to use nukes to stand any chance against 50-150 MILLION armed citizens, and they're not likely to use nukes on the soil they're trying to claim/defend.
This is right on the money, friend.

As you say, most in the military are -- now and always has been the case -- men/women who are from the so-called "red states" (mostly Southern/Midwestern/West) and would rebel themselves if ever ordered to kill their friends and neighbors.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:55 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
You`re welcome old chap...Now live with it...

I'll have a pint or two in your honor tonight!

Old 11-30-2008, 12:47 PM

234 posts, read 294,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
well, the crew served weapons might be a bit much, but all the rest are perfectly fine. including all the automatics too.

also, the parents decide when to start giving their children their constitutional rights, not even the goverment can do that until the child reaches their majority at age 18.

might be elected, but it was not the supramajority, just a majority. also just because someone gets elected, it does not mean that you trust them. look how much liberals trusted bushie. I feel even more strongly against having obama as potus.
My God Man….You are one VERY dangerous and sick individual if you think that M2 heavy machine gun or XM307 portable autocanon are OK to be owned by private citizens.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:58 PM

234 posts, read 294,490 times
Quote:
I
If it came to revolution, the size of the military would shrink dramatically. Even at full strength, they'd have to use nukes to stand any chance against 50-150 MILLION armed citizens, and they're not likely to use nukes on the soil they're trying to claim/defend.
Do you really think that there are 150 million people ready to follow somebody like you?
Or any other neocon.
Newsflash: They wouldn’t vote for you, why would they be ready to die for you?
And what revolution are you dreaming for?

Old 11-30-2008, 01:01 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Shrubs View Post
Do you really think that there are 150 million people ready to follow somebody like you?
Or any other neocon.
Newsflash: They wouldn’t vote for you, why would they be ready to die for you?
And what revolution are you dreaming for?
WTF are you talking about?!

Holy crap - you're insane! When did I say I would be leading anyone? When did I say I was dreaming of revolution?

Damn, you need to chill out and stop inferring things that simply aren't there - this post has to be the worst case I've seen yet on these forums, and that's saying a LOT.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:34 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
We have a constitution as old as they come set in place to provide rights to the people. The Brits although they are our allies have a system that anything in their government can be changed. Slightly different system however in America if in fact they ever managed to distort our constitution into a system of the removal of guns from us you can be assured they would need guns to take them away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies