Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 04:10 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,972,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Ask the cops and they'll tell you: Gays are most often victims of gay-bashings in heavily gay neighborhoods.

Someone looking for a gay guy to attack isn't going to go out to Pleasanton looking for gays; he's almost undoubtedly going to go somewhere around the Castro District.
If that is the case than why do I never see anything on the local news let alone the the national news about there being an epidemic of heterosexual on gay crimes in the Castro ? And if it is so dangerous to be a gay person living on Castro than why is there no massive gay flight from that area ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 04:13 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,025,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I've had a homosexual in my family (he passed away) who I loved dearly despite the fact that I heavily disagreed with his lifestyle choice.
Like I said, disagreeing is one thing... not accepting them is different, since you can't truly love somebody if you don't accept ALL of them. I disagree with the Catholic & Christian churches on many things, but I fully accept and support their right to exist. Does that make sense?

P.S. Being gay is neither a lifestyle nor a choice.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:13 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,046,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
If that is the case than why do I never see anything on the local news let alone the the national news about there being an epidemic of heterosexual on gay crimes in the Castro ? And if it is so dangerous to be a gay person living on Castro than why is there no massive gay flight from that area ?
I agree. I think a lot of these "gay bashing" incidents are manifactured or they just might be someone expressing their disapproval of the homosexuality. If there was an actual epidemic of gay bashings, the pro-gay mainstream media would be on it in a flash.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Like I said, disagreeing is one thing... not accepting them is different, since you can't truly love somebody if you don't accept ALL of them. I disagree with the Catholic & Christian churches on many things, but I fully accept and support their right to exist. Does that make sense?

P.S. Being gay is neither a lifestyle nor a choice.
Being in a heterosexual relationship is a choice so why can't the same be said for homosexual relationships? Just because I have heterosexual tendencies does not mean that I am forced against my will to engage in heterosexual sex. If I choose to engage in heterosexual sex or get involved in a heterosexual relationship, I am making a choice.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,354,347 times
Quote:
Didn't you get the memo? If we so much as voice any dissenting views against homosexuality, we are engaging in hatred.
Well, you are! Being against something people can't control is hatred. That's the whole point. Your beliefs are hateful and bigoted if you think Homosexuals don't deserve to be treated just like everyone else. That's the whole point. Why else would you continually be in every single gay forum spewing feelings of hatred towards anything gay related. Being anti gay rights is the exact same thing as being anti civil rights during the 1960s. You're on the side of the hateful, the bigots, the ignorant, the Klan members and the neo-nazis.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
You must not be paying attention then, because I've heard of a few incidents recently - including a string of rapes/assaults on gay men, although I'm not sure the perpetrators were "straight" as they claimed. Luckily it's not a huge issue here, which is why it has become the official "gay safe haven." But if a basher was looking for victims, Castro would be the obvious place to go - which I believe was his (AnUnidentifiedMale) point.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Being in a heterosexual relationship is a choice so why can't the same be said for homosexual relationships? Just because I have heterosexual tendencies does not mean that I am forced against my will to engage in heterosexual sex. If I choose to engage in heterosexual sex or get involved in a heterosexual relationship, I am making a choice.
Nope, you're all confused now... and confusing me too, LOL. Being in a relationship is a choice, yes - but nobody has a choice about WHOM they want to be in a relationship with. So unless you also disagree with your straight friends being in relationships, you are being very selective and intolerant. What other choice would a gay person be able to make, anyway? Would you rather they be celibate for life, or try to be with the opposite sex? I mean, since you seem to be the morality & sexuality expert, I'd like to know your solution on fixing their "choice."

Old 01-08-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Well, you are! Being against something people can't control is hatred. That's the whole point. Your beliefs are hateful and bigoted if you think Homosexuals don't deserve to be treated just like everyone else. That's the whole point. Why else would you continually be in every single gay forum spewing feelings of hatred towards anything gay related. Being anti gay rights is the exact same thing as being anti civil rights during the 1960s. You're on the side of the hateful, the bigots, the ignorant, the Klan members and the neo-nazis.
As I stated in a post above yours, homosexuals and heterosexuals both make a conscious choice in the relationships they choose. Voicing a disagreement is not considered hatred unless you wish to have all non-Christians labeled as "haters" or "bigots" I don't spew hatred, I am voicing my opinions which is something that the first amendment gives me a right to do. Homosexuals are granted every right that heterosexuals are granted. The one thing that they are whining about is changing the definition of marriage to suit their purposes. Instead, they should be concerned about strengthening their civil unions and seeking better benefits and perks (which seems to be the main thrust of many of the arguments for same sex marriage anyways).

Old 01-08-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Oh, and if I told you "I don't agree with your choice of being in heterosexual relationships," would that make you feel unconditionally loved and tolerated? If your answer was yes, that would tell me you have very low self-esteem.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You must not be paying attention then, because I've heard of a few incidents recently - including a string of rapes/assaults on gay men, although I'm not sure the perpetrators were "straight" as they claimed. Luckily it's not a huge issue here, which is why it has become the official "gay safe haven." But if a basher was looking for victims, Castro would be the obvious place to go - which I believe was his (AnUnidentifiedMale) point.
If the rapists are not "straight" then these would be classified as gay on gay crime and not evidence of the so-called hate crimes against gays. Just because the Castro is a prime place for anyone looking to bash a gay does not mean that there are a rash of hate crimes against gays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies