Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 06:06 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times

Advertisements

Oh good grief....how stupid this thread got....

#1.....NOBODY had banned you from peeing during the middle of the National Anthem......it was ONE man's account of why he was roughed up. Not really a fact in my book.

#2....Two idiots booing another country's national anthem and the juvenile response of two other idiots of retaliating is no cause to ban national anthems at sporting events in any country.

Most people have shown the proper respect for the other.

I cannot believe how many panties are in a wad over this. And how the facts or lack there of got so distorted.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 06:36 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,226 times
Darn tootin Granny Sue!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 12:20 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
So, would all of you have no problem if (it has happened a few times) if American fans boo O'Canada or fill in the blank on US soil?I just don't think they are needed anymore, or maybe, if there are 2 countries involved and there's a chance for that since, for example, 2 teams that have a huge rivalry to begin with, well, don't play the anthems.
I laugh at the ignorance of those that do, since they actually think that they are dissing the visiting team, when they do that.
For those that think I'm being silly, there have been bans on stuff like this, where a few yahoos, caused that thing in question to be banned (like zero tolerance policies in schools for touching).
I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I would not be upset or care if they weren't played.
When I say banned and/or if they're really needed anymore, I say all countries, not just the USA.
I like the idea of fans showing their patriot side, but I think the sad booing of another country's national anthem, doesn't make it worth it.
No one has bothered to answer my question that I put in bold letters. Don't think that US fans are totally immune from this.

St Louis Blues fans boo O Canada.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,157974 (broken link)

Old 04-24-2009, 02:36 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
No one has bothered to answer my question that I put in bold letters. Don't think that US fans are totally immune from this.

St Louis Blues fans boo O Canada.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,157974 (broken link)
It's the disrepectful idiots than should be banned, not the anthems.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Oh good grief....how stupid this thread got....

#1.....NOBODY had banned you from peeing during the middle of the National Anthem......it was ONE man's account of why he was roughed up. Not really a fact in my book.

#2....Two idiots booing another country's national anthem and the juvenile response of two other idiots of retaliating is no cause to ban national anthems at sporting events in any country.

Most people have shown the proper respect for the other.

I cannot believe how many panties are in a wad over this. And how the facts or lack there of got so distorted.
Well, we have this post from someone who apparently attends Yankee games:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I think the star spangled banner before the game is just fine. At some events, though, the shows of patriotism/nationalism just become a bit "too much." For example, after 9/11, the star spangled banner wasn't enough anymore. "God Bless America" was added to the repertoire at many sporting events for awhile. They still do it at Yankee Stadium, at every game during the 7th inning stretch. There's a "No Bathrooms" rule, meaning if you go to the bathroom during "God Bless America" you're thrown out of the stadium. It's stupid.

When I go to a baseball game, I like songs about peanuts and cracker jack, and "Meet the Mets." The "God Bless America" thing, the standing, the hats off, the no-bathrooms rule, etc. just make it feel so forced, so fake. It's like "the man" coming down and saying "show your patriotism OR ELSE!!!"
People of all different political persuasions enjoy baseball and other sports. It's simplistic to say "If you don't like it, don't go to the game".

Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I have been at a few of the playoff of games in Montreal against Boston, I can tell you that it isn't against the country, but the team. It is truly a minority that boo, the problem is that no one cheers the US anthem.

It is pathetic, and makes me glad to have moved away from Montreal, but the anthem before sporting events is one of my favorite parts, to be honest. Hearing the Star Spangled Banner, "the bombs bursting in air" part makes my day every time.

Montrealers are disrespectful of the US anthem and flag, but they are disrespectful of Canada's too, to a certain extent. It ticks me off to see it, but don't let them win. We don't hear the the anthem enough and it is such a beautiful song.
Very true - many arent' thrilled with O'Canada either. They're a bunch of whiners.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
The "God Bless America" thing, the standing, the hats off, the no-bathrooms rule, etc. just make it feel so forced, so fake. It's like "the man" coming down and saying "show your patriotism OR ELSE!!!"
It's called RESPECT.

Don't like it? Don't go to the game.

See how simple that is?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:07 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
The one thing I don't like...
is bringing 1 person to sing the national anthem for everybody.

I think a sporting event is the perfect occasion to see what you almost never see anywhere else... 10,000-100,000 people signing your national anthem.

That's the way is done in many countries
and I really wish it was done that way in the US
It's a moment that you can only experience in a stadium.

YouTube - Venezuela - Perú. Himno de Venezuela

Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It's called RESPECT.

Don't like it? Don't go to the game.

See how simple that is?
LOL

I see that you cannot reply to what I said to you about liberals being proud of their country.

Go figure.

Cant provide evidence for what you say? Don't say it.

See how simple that is?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I see that you cannot reply to what I said to you about liberals being proud of their country.
I have never suggested otherwise. So, what is your point? Do you have one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies