Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:18 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times

Advertisements

Is this how we get things banned? So if I go to congress and yell and boo everytime someone speaks that I don't agree with we can get them banned? Oh, OK I am all for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,404 times
Don't worry about a few disgruntled Canadians. They're just mad because, well, they live in Canada: America's hat. You'd probably be a little disgruntled too.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:21 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
No, it has to stay, there shouldnt even be a question. People and attitudes will change this way and that through time but the national anthem has to be solidly there no matter what. Especially for the national pastime! Play ball.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:22 PM

177 posts, read 312,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Don't worry about a few disgruntled Canadians. They're just mad because, well, they live in Canada: America's hat. You'd probably be a little disgruntled too.
Agreed. I'd be pissed to if I lived in that climate.

Cold=Crabby.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:25 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,192 times
So, would all of you have no problem if (it has happened a few times) if American fans boo O'Canada or fill in the blank on US soil?
I just don't think they are needed anymore, or maybe, if there are 2 countries involved and there's a chance for that since, for example, 2 teams that have a huge rivalry to begin with, well, don't play the anthems.
I laugh at the ignorance of those that do, since they actually think that they are dissing the visiting team, when they do that.
For those that think I'm being silly, there have been bans on stuff like this, where a few yahoos, caused that thing in question to be banned (like zero tolerance policies in schools for touching).
I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I would not be upset or care if they weren't played.
When I say banned and/or if they're really needed anymore, I say all countries, not just the USA.
I like the idea of fans showing their patriot side, but I think the sad booing of another country's national anthem, doesn't make it worth it.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
I have absolutely no problem with the Star Spangled Banner being played before sports events. It is a way of showing respect to this great country and, when they do those military fly overs, an opportunity to show respect to the fighting men and women who are committed to challenging work of keeping this country safe...so safe that we can have the luxury of watching a game.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:52 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Yes, ban it. Politics has nothing to do with sporting events. Patriotism, like religious faith, is voluntary not mandatory, and should not be subjected by force or through the use of peer pressure.

I applaud all efforts to unify people, all celebrations of being part of a collective with common dreams and goals. But none of these efforts should be by force, especially in a country that prides itself on freedom.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I think the star spangled banner before the game is just fine. At some events, though, the shows of patriotism/nationalism just become a bit "too much." For example, after 9/11, the star spangled banner wasn't enough anymore. "God Bless America" was added to the repertoire at many sporting events for awhile. They still do it at Yankee Stadium, at every game during the 7th inning stretch. There's a "No Bathrooms" rule, meaning if you go to the bathroom during "God Bless America" you're thrown out of the stadium. It's stupid.

When I go to a baseball game, I like songs about peanuts and cracker jack, and "Meet the Mets." The "God Bless America" thing, the standing, the hats off, the no-bathrooms rule, etc. just make it feel so forced, so fake. It's like "the man" coming down and saying "show your patriotism OR ELSE!!!"
I find that rather astonishing that you can't go to the bathroom when you choose because of the song they are playing. I see that becoming a problem in the near future.

Now I have one more reason to point and laugh at how stupid the entire sports thing is. I mean honestly, they think they are going to tell people when they can answer the call of nature, thats WAY over the top.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Canada doesnt torture or illegally invade and occupy nations in the Middle East.

I'm sure most Canadians are proud to be Canadian, and I dont blame them one bit for being so, they should be. I dont remember them starting any wars recently or torturing people.

Major sporting events, especially big events like the Super Bowl, are carefully calculated at indoctrinating people with nationalism and militarism. The more "proud" you are of your country, the less questions you ask about its conduct

Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,318,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I find that rather astonishing that you can't go to the bathroom when you choose because of the song they are playing. I see that becoming a problem in the near future.

Now I have one more reason to point and laugh at how stupid the entire sports thing is. I mean honestly, they think they are going to tell people when they can answer the call of nature, thats WAY over the top.
You sound like it's the equivelent of waterboarding to have to listen to the national anthem during sporting events you apparently never even attend.
Liberal intolerance mixed with anti-American sentiment, nice.
I hear Europe is nice this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies