Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:03 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I can't remember ever going to a baseball game where God Bless America was played during the "7th inning stretch." That said, if the Yankees want to do this in THEIR stadium, it's their right. If someone is offended by that, they have the right to leave, or to stay home in the first place.

I have been in stores that had music playing over their speaker system that I didn't like. It wasn't a national crisis. All I did was choose to leave rather than getting bent out of shape over it. A ball stadium (or racetrack, etc.) is no different in that regard. If you don't like the songs they play, don't stay. The same thing applies to the rules of the venue. If you don't like them, leave! It really is that simple.
Actually no. It is not that simple. Didnt you read anything on this forum? People get thrown out for leaving while they play "God Bless America". So it is not as easy as your mind thinks. Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why? It is not only a beautiful and Patriotic song, it has a lot of meaning.
Because there is no point. The Nation Anthem is to show your respect. You should keep in mind that not everyone there believes in God. And why should we have two songs playing while other countries dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
ABSOLUTELY NOT! The National Anthem should not be banned.

This country needs to be MORE Patriotic - not less - like those on the far left are trying to make it.

If someone does not want to sing the National Anthem at a sporting event - fine - that is their right. But don't you DARE to try to stop those who DO WANT TO SHOW SOME PATRIOTISM from doing so!
The anthem should not be banned.

God Bless America is a different story as I explained above.

Oh be quiet. I am a Liberal and I know the words to "America the Beautiful" and the full version of Star Spangled Banner. I can play it on my guitar and piano. The left is not trying to make anyone less patriotic. Keep on living in your dream world. It is up to you. I am for the National Anthem being played. If anyone finds the Anthem offensive, well. Sorry. It sucks for you. It should not be banned. I am always proud and stand up whenever I hear the Anthem NO MATTER WHERE I am. I once did it alone when people around me laughed at me and told me I did not have too. Yeah, I dont have too but I WANT TOO BECAUSE I LOVE THIS COUNTRY.

So you should not say the left does not want to be patriotic. I am very patriotic. Just take one look at the back of my car and you will know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 12:20 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
What's next, booing national anthems during the Olympics? Are we the hated and vilified, enemies of Canada now?
If any Canadians are going to boo the American National Anthem, it's French Canadians and more specifically those with seperatist inclinations meaning they want to seperate from Canada. Most likely, if in English speaking Canada which accounts for 4/5's Canada's population this wouldnt happen.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:28 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times
Quote:
SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES PETITIONERS’ BRIEF ON THE MERITS

Id. Thus, the Court has consistently noted for over twenty-four years
the Pledge does not violate the Establishment Clause.
Despite the foregoing, the Newdow II majority ignored this
Court’s pronouncements on the subject and rationalized that its
decision was "not inconsistent" with the "dicta" of this Court. App.
15. In so doing, the Newdow II majority attempted to harmonize its
decision with the decision reached by this Court in Engel by stating
that the Pledge differs from the Declaration of Independence and the
National Anthem
(mentioned in Engel) because its reference to God
is not merely a reflection of the author’s profession of faith, but is
designed to constitute an affirmation by the person reciting it
. App.
16. As described above in section II.2.A, the Pledge does not result
in the affirmation of a belief in God
. Therefore, the majority’s
distinction is untenable.
First Amendment To The United States Constitution
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of
religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the
freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of people peaceably
to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of
grievances.

The grievances of God on our money, God in our schools, God in our public leaders, God in our pledge to this country and so forth, were established many years after the constitution of the United States and the framer's intention.

In history there was an attempt to silence our media and in so doing, Freedom of Speech pops up. In order to get one thing accomplished, the freedom of speech must be silenced.

Quote:
Religion News: Opinion: Atheism, a positive pillar (http://pewforum.org/news/display.php?NewsID=16973 - broken link)
Mindful of atheism's reviled reputation, a new current in non-belief is intent on showing the public what atheists are for. You might be surprised by what's on their short list. Because, save for the belief-in-a-deity part, it sounds a lot like what most Americans value. Care for one's community and fellow human beings, love of country and cherished American principles, the pursuit and expansion of knowledge -- these are the elements of the new "positive atheism."
My thoughts my opinion (because I saw this at the Mesquite Rodeo where I worked) those who leave their seats during the tribute to America in process, the respect meter for our country is displayed.

You can take God out of the country, but you can't take the country away from God. I've always thought we need to finish the job.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:09 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Question about national anthems before sporting events: Ban them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I think they should be.
And who, exactly, would you have ban them?

Old 04-24-2009, 02:22 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,592,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Canada doesnt torture or illegally invade and occupy nations in the Middle East.

I'm sure most Canadians are proud to be Canadian, and I dont blame them one bit for being so, they should be. I dont remember them starting any wars recently or torturing people.

Major sporting events, especially big events like the Super Bowl, are carefully calculated at indoctrinating people with nationalism and militarism. The more "proud" you are of your country, the less questions you ask about its conduct
Perhaps you should move there..I'll pay for your transportation.
Moderator cut: RUDE

Last edited by katzenfreund; 04-25-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 03:01 AM

238 posts, read 304,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
If any Canadians are going to boo the American National Anthem, it's French Canadians and more specifically those with seperatist inclinations meaning they want to seperate from Canada. Most likely, if in English speaking Canada which accounts for 4/5's Canada's population this wouldnt happen.
It's always cool to blame the french.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:27 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
But God Bless America is a lot easier to sing than the National Anthem.

If somebody was hauled away for not participating it's a reflection on the stupidity of the individual authorities involved and should have no bearing on the underlying issue.
This isn't communist China (yet) and joining in with others is voluntary.
There is no harm to having occassions to remind ourselves and others that we still prefer living in America, warts and all.
Better it be at a sporting event than need a 9/11

Old 04-24-2009, 05:39 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Perhaps you should move there..I'll pay for your transportation.
Moderator cut: RUDE

Last edited by katzenfreund; 04-25-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 05:43 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I disagree about banning it. There is nothing forcing anyone to attend these events, and if they don't agree with the National Anthem being played at them, then they should just stay home. There are some churches I don't attend because I don't agree with their teachings. That doesn't mean we should ban them. There are political rallies I won't attend because I don't agree with the entities hosting them. That doesn't mean they should be banned (though maybe some should be, LOL). Attending sporting events where the national anthem is played, or an invocation is given, is voluntary. There is no force or peer pressure being applied here.

As for playing of national anthems of other countries, I think it is a way for our country to show respect to those other countries when we are competing against them. For those that have differences with that country, the courteous thing to do is to sit or stand quietly while that anthem is playing. If the differences are too great for them to remain quiet, then those folks should just stay home and not attend that event. Booing and other disrespectful behavior is not necessary.

But you see the left has become the party of No tolerance for those who's beliefs are different from theirs yet they want complete tolerance for their beliefs. What they don't like they want banned typical illogical thinking.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:00 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,443 times
I have been at a few of the playoff of games in Montreal against Boston, I can tell you that it isn't against the country, but the team. It is truly a minority that boo, the problem is that no one cheers the US anthem.

It is pathetic, and makes me glad to have moved away from Montreal, but the anthem before sporting events is one of my favorite parts, to be honest. Hearing the Star Spangled Banner, "the bombs bursting in air" part makes my day every time.

Montrealers are disrespectful of the US anthem and flag, but they are disrespectful of Canada's too, to a certain extent. It ticks me off to see it, but don't let them win. We don't hear the the anthem enough and it is such a beautiful song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies