Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:55 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Not true. Not true at all.

It is because of useless wars and stupid politics and stupid people that got us here. Not embracing God. Or Christianity for that matter.

If people embrace God through Islam or any other religion, they still embrace God. It has nothing to do with Christianity or God in the first place.
All blessings flow from God. Just because you and others don't believe in the God of Christianity, that does not change the fact that it is God's blessings that have made this country great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 12:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
like those on the far left are trying to make it
"the FAR left" - the extremists - such as yourself.

You are not representative of the mainstream liberals. My comment was not against all liberals - how silly. But, my comment was aimed at the extremists.

I stand by my comment

Old 04-25-2009, 12:46 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,578,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
"the FAR left" - the extremists - such as yourself.

You are not representative of the mainstream liberals. My comment was not against all liberals - how silly. But, my comment was aimed at the extremists.

I stand by my comment
LMAO!

Me an extreme liberal? LMAO!

Too bad I actually agree with some Republican policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
All blessings flow from God. Just because you and others don't believe in the God of Christianity, that does not change the fact that it is God's blessings that have made this country great.
Just because you think it is God and Christianity does not mean it is.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:21 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,907 times
Quote:
ABSOLUTELY NOT! The National Anthem should not be banned.

This country needs to be MORE Patriotic - not less - like those on the far left are trying to make it.

If someone does not want to sing the National Anthem at a sporting event - fine - that is their right. But don't you DARE to try to stop those who DO WANT TO SHOW SOME PATRIOTISM from doing so!
Who the hell said sitting through a song is PATRIOTIC? What does it have to do with supporting your country when all you're doing is singing a song written by someone you don't know while they experienced something you can hardly relate to?

I have no problem with loving our country. I have no problem doing something to support the American community or waving a flag as a sign of solidarity. But I do take issue when I'm expected to participate and get leered at or criticized when I choose not to.

I won't take off my hat because it doesn't make any sense that exposing the top of my head is a sign of respect. What is this, the Dark Ages? I will continue to walk around because my standing still has nothing to do with anything. If taking off my hat and standing still represents respect for my country, then we are country of superstitious fools. (This is like those times years ago when I was forced to go to church. I couldn't understand the sit/stand/kneel/shake hands/sing silliness. It's like we're a bunch of brain dead beings doing tricks without thinking. Am I the only one to question these things or does everyone else just bow down to peer pressure?)

If I choose to not participate then you'd better leave me alone and withhold your criticism--verbally and physically. Otherwise, you're being a hypocrite at the exact time you're professing to love the freedoms you're country promises.

I am no less an American than you.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:33 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I think they should be. Or I don't see the purpose anymore. In Montreal (this has happened quite a few times up there recently) the fans booed the Star Spangled Banner. Of course, in retaliation, the Boston fans (hopefully I'm wrong) will return the favor if the series between the Canadiens and Bruins goes 5 games.
Maybe this tradition should not be banned from sports because of a few yahoos, but I just think it would solve a problem. It just flammes "country wars" that don't need to go on and on top of that 1/2 the players, particulary in baseball and hockey with the higher number of non north americans on the rosters, could not care less about it anyway, judging by their behavior.
Another reason why it's gone too far (or maybe) is the incident at Yankee Stadium, where some guy was roughed up by cops, for walking away from his seat to use the restroom, during God Bless America.
Your thoughts, even though I can see this flaming into a "liberals are unpatriotic" thread.
Well first of all you are talking about baseball and hockey of all sports, no offense but really.............. this is one of the reasons I was first attracted to NASCAR the national anthem is always sung, and the announcer asks everyone to please rise and remove their hats and then a fly over by our military and then a prayer usually in Jesus' name, you just cant get anymore patriotic at a proffesional sport!

Old 04-25-2009, 05:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well first of all you are talking about baseball and hockey of all sports, no offense but really.............. this is one of the reasons I was first attracted to NASCAR the national anthem is always sung, and the announcer asks everyone to please rise and remove their hats and then a fly over by our military and then a prayer usually in Jesus' name, you just cant get anymore patriotic at a proffesional sport!
Thanks - I could not agree with you more.

And, as for traditions, at the start of a MLB game, when the Star Spangled Banner is sung - when the song is finished, it is tradition to yell "PLAY BALL" -

Removing ones hat, or saluting the Flag is a sign of respect - respect for our Flag and those who fought and died to protect our freedoms. I cannot understand, nor agree with, those who lack the ability to show some Respect for our Country

Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
What should be banned is poetic licence and how some artists feel the need to destroy the Anthem just to make unique upon themselves.
Reba M yodeled it.
Rosie screetched it.
Then you have some idiots put a rap or hip hop beat to it.
Just sing the song the way it was written.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
First, let me say, I love the national anthem. However, I do question its singing at professional sporting events, though I personally have no problem doing so. It's not like a Broncos game, for example, is a government production. But I'm not going to mount a campaign to eliminate it.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:41 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:

Removing ones hat, or saluting the Flag is a sign of respect - respect for our Flag and those who fought and died to protect our freedoms. I cannot understand, nor agree with, those who lack the ability to show some Respect for our Country
Nor I , but what ever you do , dont you dare call them Un Patriotic!

Old 04-25-2009, 09:04 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,595,573 times
Quote:
LOL

I see that you cannot reply to what I said to you about liberals being proud of their country.

Go figure.

Cant provide evidence for what you say? Don't say it.

See how simple that is?
Greatday didn't say anything in his post about liberals.
He said that if you didn't like the way things were done at the event, you didn't have to attend. No mention was made about political party affiliation or political leaning. It is quite presumptive of you to assume he meant only liberals.

In case you weren't paying attention earlier, here's what he said:
Quote:
It's called RESPECT.

Don't like it? Don't go to the game.

See how simple that is?
The post he quoted at the time also made no reference to political leaning or political party. Why must you assume people said something they didn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies