Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:41 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Maybe some are, but adults can make their own decisions about whether or not they want to abstain from sex.
Then why should I feel sympathy for them if they contract AIDS?
I do have sympathy though despite my strong stance on this issue but just don't understand why people would KNOWINGLY place themselves at risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 02:41 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Have they abstained, they would not have had sex with the HIV carrier in the first place. As many folks have previously stated, you can never know who is being upfront with you or not or even whether your partner even knows they have HIV so why take that chance? AIDS is a devastating disease and frankly not worth the few minutes of pleasure from illicit sexual practices.
I believe we don't live in the same universe together for I understand that people will have sex regardless. You don't, you believe it's dirty & wrong before marriage.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, but it took you awhile to do it, from what I remember.
Because I was talking about the bigger issue of not placing yourself at risk of HIV infection to begin with! Sheesh!

Old 06-29-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
msconnie, do you think you can tell just by looking at someone if they have hiv/aids? This is the point we're trying to make. NO ONE KNOWS if someone has it or not. That's why all people should get tested, it's really very simple.
I see what you are saying and since folks are going to continue placing themselves at risk, we must all get tested. I just feel that the risks far outweighes the benefits of risky sex.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
I can't tell you why you should feel sympathy for anybody.

I can say that I'm especially sympathetic for people who contracted HIV unknowingly. I'm also sympathetic of those who contracted HIV knowingly because people do make mistakes.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:46 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
I see what you are saying and since folks are going to continue placing themselves at risk, we must all get tested. I just feel that the risks far outweighes the benefits of risky sex.
So a married couple having sex w/out a condom is considered risky to you?

Old 06-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I believe we don't live in the same universe together for I understand that people will have sex regardless. You don't, you believe it's dirty & wrong before marriage.
It is definitely risky. Zillions of folks have played the premarital sex game and gotten pregnant before they were ready. Zillions of folks have contracted STDs, which includes deadly diseases such as AIDS. Zillions of folks have suffered severe depression and other mental illnesses because they have had sex before the relationship was stable. I could go on and on about this but folks will continue to ignore the consequences of premarital sex.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I can't tell you why you should feel sympathy for anybody.

I can say that I'm especially sympathetic for people who contracted HIV unknowingly. I'm also sympathetic of those who contracted HIV knowingly because people do make mistakes.
As I stated in the post you quoted (but edited), I do feel sympathy for all folks who are suffering from AIDS, whether they knowingly or unknowingly contracted it. Yes, folks do make mistakes but why can't other folks learn from the mistakes of others. Why must we continue marching to the tune of the same drum?

Old 06-29-2009, 02:51 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
I do have sympathy though despite my strong stance on this issue but just don't understand why people would KNOWINGLY place themselves at risk.
Because you don't know HOW people contracted HIV. I've done some work with HIV/AIDS charities- you'd be amazed at how many people got it from a cheating spouse and only found out when they were routinely screened during pregnancy (thank goodness transmission from mother to child can be prevented) or they have serious health issues. I met one girl who sadly contracted the disease due to a rape.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
So a married couple having sex w/out a condom is considered risky to you?
If they are faithful to one another, then it isn't risky. If one partner is unfaithful, then having sex with them is risky. By the way, safe sex is a myth. Condoms can and do break so those who use that for protection had best be prepared for potential pregnancy or STD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies