Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,705,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
My issue is really with the preventable nature of AIDS and how folks heads are in the sand about this disease and other STD's.
Then I think that validates the idea that everybody should get tested for HIV and other STDs. Knowing your status is the smart thing to do; blindly believing that you're free of all STDs is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 02:28 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,043,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
I don't think most people have their heads in the sand on this issue. We have one of the lowest infection rates in the world for HIV (and most STDs I believe - I could be wrong, I haven't looked it up). That's a testament to the level of education here (although it still needs to be better).

People just like sex. I use protection when I have sex 99% of the time. I know there is still plenty of risk, and that I could contract a disease. That risk is much more acceptable to me that the idea of abstinence. The people I choose to have sex with have made the same value or risk/reward assessment I have.
I wonder how many folks who are suffering from full-blown AIDS wished that they had abstained ....

Old 06-29-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Should virgins marry only other virgins? If not, then how do you know that your partner is HIV-negative unless he or she gets tested?
Haven't I previously stated that if you have had premarital sex, then it is wise to get tested for AIDS/HIV? Let me clarify, those who engaged in premarital sex are not virgins and should be tested ...

Old 06-29-2009, 02:31 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,582,210 times
Quote:
I wonder how many folks who are suffering from full-blown AIDS wished that they had abstained ....
Oh I'm sure they wish they would've abstained from having sex w/that particular person who gave them aids, not from sex altogether.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Maybe some are, but adults can make their own decisions about whether or not they want to abstain from sex.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
You keep talking about risky sexual activity, but you apparently don't think that having sex with one HIV-infected partner is risky.
I do think that having sex with an HIV-infected person is risky as that person likely has had previous sexual encounters or was using intravenous drugs. So risky sexual behavior can include having sex with those who have engaged in previous risky behaviors.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Haven't I previously stated that if you have had premarital sex, then it is wise to get tested for AIDS/HIV?
Yes, but it took you awhile to do it, from what I remember.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:35 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,582,210 times
Quote:
I do think that having sex with an HIV-infected person is risky as that person likely has had previous sexual encounters or was using intravenous drugs. So risky sexual behavior can include having sex with those who have engaged in previous risky behaviors.
msconnie, do you think you can tell just by looking at someone if they have hiv/aids? This is the point we're trying to make. NO ONE KNOWS if someone has it or not. That's why all people should get tested, it's really very simple.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
To say "if only they had remained abstinent" is absolutely denying reality. You do seem to be saying that everyone should be a virgin outside of marriage (I'm not surprised, of course), and that if anyone does get HIV, it's their own fault, even if they got infected by someone who they thought was being monogamous or was a virgin before marriage.
If a person knowingly engages in risky behavior, then they are at least partially responsible for contracting HIV.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oh I'm sure they wish they would've abstained from having sex w/that particular person who gave them aids, not from sex altogether.
Have they abstained, they would not have had sex with the HIV carrier in the first place. As many folks have previously stated, you can never know who is being upfront with you or not or even whether your partner even knows they have HIV so why take that chance? AIDS is a devastating disease and frankly not worth the few minutes of pleasure from illicit sexual practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies