Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,898 times

Advertisements

What about the crack heads who use food stamps? Is it because they are as skinny as a bean pole and do not eat much while on crack that you did not mention them? Does one on food stamps need to be obese before you complain? Crack heads do not work, they sit their arse on whatever and feel joy in their drug of choice, then go to the grocery store get their muchie food of choice and go back home. Is that ok? Why? because they are supermodel thin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 07:06 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Maybe overweight people should have to pay more under our new government health care plan.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:35 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Maybe overweight people should have to pay more under our new government health care plan.
Along with smokers, people with kids, people over 40, people who are too skinny, people who have cavities...

Old 07-11-2009, 08:37 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Hey! I've got an idea.
How 'bout everybody gets charged more and those few exceptionally fit perfect people can be thrown a couple of bucks in exchange for their pictures to be used as poster boys/girls of fitness.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:38 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Hey! I've got an idea.
How 'bout everybody gets charged more and those few exceptionally fit perfect people can be thrown a couple of bucks in exchange for their pictures to be used as poster boys/girls of fitness.
I think you're on to something!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:39 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Quote:
Hey! I've got an idea.
Those exceptionally few "fit" people would no doubt be Democrat Obama voters.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I'm fine with a fat tax (though wouldn't it be great to be able to implement a douchebag tax as well? Ah, I can dream.....)

Still one thing about your post struck me - food stamps. Years ago I worked in a grocery store and yes, people on food stamps bought all the boxed processed foods. But there is a reason for this - its cheaper. They get more bang for their stamp so to speak. If the foodstamp program was revamped to provide more money but have the requirement that the people on it could only buy nutritous foods similiar to the WIC program, well I think that would be a good tradeoff.
Not really, you assume that eating healthy food would fix anything.. it doesn't because portion size is more important... even if you ate more "healthy" food, it isn't going to be necessarily healthy for you... I don't like processed foods, I wish they were banned but there are so many of them, it would be difficult...

On a separate note, I saw a TV show (which I thought was utterly ridiculous)... they were saying that African Americans (AA) were upset becomes doctors would confront them about their weight and used words like "fat", "obese", etc. etc. Using these words made them feel down and they said that doctors didn't tell them "how" to lose weight... Are you freaking kidding me? How do you lose weight? Diet and exercise.. we say it ALL the time and unless you are a moron, you should know it as well... the show concluded that doctors should use different words to describe weight problems and teach them how to lose weight... Here is a clue... workout everyday for 1-2 hours, eat half of what you usually eat and don't snack, no junk food... common sense people... What this show did NOT show was if doing this actually made AA lose weight... and I am willing to bet that it didn't... it isn't about doctors communication or teaching... its about patients following through with it... most of them don't have that willpower or care enough to do it...

Old 07-11-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Those exceptionally few "fit" people would no doubt be Democrat Obama voters.
Good grief. Was that really necessary?

Perhaps, judging by many of the comments in the many "fat people" threads, those judgmental Republicans would be the "perfect fit people". After all, nobody makes judgments on others unless they themselves are already perfect, right?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
On a separate note, I saw a TV show (which I thought was utterly ridiculous)... they were saying that African Americans (AA) were upset becomes doctors would confront them about their weight and used words like "fat", "obese", etc. etc. Using these words made them feel down and they said that doctors didn't tell them "how" to lose weight... Are you freaking kidding me? How do you lose weight? Diet and exercise.. we say it ALL the time and unless you are a moron, you should know it as well... the show concluded that doctors should use different words to describe weight problems and teach them how to lose weight... Here is a clue... workout everyday for 1-2 hours, eat half of what you usually eat and don't snack, no junk food... common sense people... What this show did NOT show was if doing this actually made AA lose weight... and I am willing it didn't... it isn't about doctors communication or teaching... its about patients following through with it... most of them don't have that willpower or care enough to do it...
Actually, studies show that grazing throughout the day - 5 small meals - is more effective for weight loss than eating 3 regular meals and no snacks.

Here's a clue: What people need is support in the form of education and accountability, not mere criticism. If the doctor says "Here's your eating and exercise guidelines for the next six weeks. Record your food and your activity, and come back and see me. We'll look at what's working and what's not", isn't that better than "You are fat. You need to lose weight. See you next year! Pay at the front desk"?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Hey! I've got an idea.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies