Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you content with the current healthcare system in America
Yes 52 20.55%
No 104 41.11%
Yes and No (Some parts are good, some are bad) 97 38.34%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:22 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
So many people are opposed to any kind of reform simply because a Democrat is president and/or the President is black (IMO he's biracial but whatever).
The above is so not true! Not true at all. Keep in mind that there are MANY DEMOCRATS in Congress - including African American members, who are opposed to the Democratic plan.

This is not a "race" issue - how foolish

Old 08-07-2009, 02:25 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
IF the ACTUAL intention is to make health insurance more affordable thereby making it more accessible, there are things that can be done to help do this:

1) Allow health insurance pools be nationwide - not merely by state. By increasing the size of the pools, it will spread the risk out - and will lower insurance premiums.

2) Simplify health insurance company regulations - have one regulatory body instead of the current system of 50 bodies

3) Make health care costs - including insurance premiums, a fully deductible item on your tax returns - and do it "above the line" which will directly reduce your taxable income - you will pay less in income taxes

4) Eliminate pre-existing condition exclusions

5) Provide subsidizes for low income Americans to assist them in purchasing health insurance of THEIR choice.
I never thought I'd agree with you....

While I like the idea of #2, I'm not sure if that will infringe upon states' rights or not.

I would also like for people to be able to choose what they want covered. If you don't plan on having kids, no need to pay extra.
If you're overweight, you should be able to choose a plan that covers visits to a nutritionist.
If you're young, you might want a plan that covers catastrophes and has a high deductible for doctor's visits and such. I'm 19 and I only go to the doctor about 3 times a year. Twice a year to the dermatologist, once a year to my family physician.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I never thought I'd agree with you....

While I like the idea of #2, I'm not sure if that will infringe upon states' rights or not.

I would also like for people to be able to choose what they want covered. If you don't plan on having kids, no need to pay extra.
If you're overweight, you should be able to choose a plan that covers visits to a nutritionist.
If you're young, you might want a plan that covers catastrophes and has a high deductible for doctor's visits and such. I'm 19 and I only go to the doctor about 3 times a year. Twice a year to the dermatologist, once a year to my family physician.
\

Then, you should be support the GOP legislation in the Congress. Because what I wrote - it is in their legislation

Old 08-07-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
The above is so not true! Not true at all. Keep in mind that there are MANY DEMOCRATS in Congress - including African American members, who are opposed to the Democratic plan.

This is not a "race" issue - how foolish
You can't deny that there is a segment of our population that will oppose our President on EVERYTHING simply because he has African/African-American blood in him and his skin is darker than theirs.

Maybe where you are in the part of the country people don't care about his race but where I am, people really do care.
I've been on the websites of the local news channel and so many people bring up his race it's not even funny, especially for someone who is black.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
\

Then, you should be support the GOP legislation in the Congress. Because what I wrote - it is in their legislation
What else is in their legislation?
No health care for homosexuals?
No health care for non-christians?

Can you provide a link to the bill? I'm intrigued....

Old 08-07-2009, 02:32 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
You can't deny that there is a segment of our population that will oppose our President on EVERYTHING simply because he has African/African-American blood in him and his skin is darker than theirs.

Maybe where you are in the part of the country people don't care about his race but where I am, people really do care.
I've been on the websites of the local news channel and so many people bring up his race it's not even funny, especially for someone who is black.
People on local news channels? You mean callers to radio programs? You can't mean program hosts.

btw, I don't see that race has anything to do with this. It's more partisan, than anything having to do with race.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
What else is in their legislation?
No health care for homosexuals?
No health care for non-christians?

Can you provide a link to the bill? I'm intrigued....
The Democrats Lied: The Republicans do have a Health Plan

Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
People on local news channels? You mean callers to radio programs? You can't mean program hosts.

btw, I don't see that race has anything to do with this. It's more partisan, than anything having to do with race.
No, the websites of local news channels where people comment on news stories.
I think race is a factor but it's not as big a factor as party politics.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:37 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:

2) Simplify health insurance company regulations - have one regulatory body instead of the current system of 50 bodies
I agree with you on some of these points, but not all. If you only have one regulatory body, it opens the door for too much fraud. It's the same as deregulating the financial institutions. People can't have it both ways. On the one hand they feel that the mortgage industry and banks should have been watched more closely, but on the other they want less government interference in their lives. Who will be the watchdogs for this one regulatory body? Maybe the SEC? Right now we have the NAIC, which is one organization, but its members are regulators from each of the 50 states.

Quote:
btw, for what it's worth, we can't call it health care reform. It has now been renamed to "health insurance reform".
We finally agree on something! They're not really talking about controlling the costs, just how we pay for it.

Quote:
I get the feeling they are playing mental games with us. While there will be major reform to health care, they want us to concentrate on the "insurance" part because they think that is what people are most angry about; they expect that will take our minds off the rationing of care that is coming, and end all the questions.
Isn't that what's happening today? Right now it's being rationed. The people with the best health coverage get the best medical treatment.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree with you on some of these points, but not all. If you only have one regulatory body, it opens the door for too much fraud. It's the same as deregulating the financial institutions. People can't have it both ways. On the one hand they feel that the mortgage industry and banks should have been watched more closely, but on the other they want less government interference in their lives. Who will be the watchdogs for this one regulatory body? Maybe the SEC? Right now we have the NAIC, which is one organization, but its members are regulators from each of the 50 states.
State regulators can still make sure no fraud occurs - and there can still be local enforcement

But, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for an insurance company - say for example Aetna -having to file 50 rate requests and 50 applications to do business and maintain 50 offices when one application, one rate request and one office will suffice.

It is one of the reasons why the overhead for health insurance companies are so high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies