Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you content with the current healthcare system in America
Yes 52 20.55%
No 104 41.11%
Yes and No (Some parts are good, some are bad) 97 38.34%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:58 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Medicare is many times better than any government health care program that's being proposed in Congress. Our taxes are paying for people who get Medicare benefits, since the recipients are either over 65 or on SSI. So where do they think the money is coming from and who is running the program? It is totally mind boggling & astounding that people who are on Medicare are against a public option. They're either completely clueless or the most selfish people on the planet. I can tell you from experience that most people on Medicare complain when they have to spend a dime for health care. The government is NOT talking about reducing the benefits. It wants to cut waste & fraud. The 2003 Medicare Modernization Act signed by President Bush created multi-millionaires by allowing private companies to sell Medicare Advantage Plans and Medicare Part D plans to Medicare recipients. Medicare "C" is the privatization Medicare and is costing taxpayers billions. That's what happens when you change a government program into a for-profit venture.
Actually Nancy - they are talking about reducing Medicare. And more and more seniors are losing their doctors because more and more doctors and other providers are dropping Medicare - because the reimbursements are way too low.

As you may know, I opted out of Social Security and Medicare decades ago - I have not payed into the "system" in over 30 years - and I can never get SS or Medicare. I am completely on my own when it comes to Health Insurance. And I'm at the stage of life now where Medicare would have "kicked in" - but, not for me. And I can honestly say - I have never been happier that I got rid of the Ponzi scheme called Social Security.

The fact is - there are ways that many of those without insurance today can get it with a few tweaks to the system:

Allow insurance to be sold across state lines

Allow professional groups to form insurance pools - and then let members of that group purchase their insurance from the pool. There has been a bill to allow just this languishing in the Senate for a few years now - the Democratic leadership WILL NOT ALLOW IT to come up for a vote of the Senate - This alone would have opened up affordable health insurance to some 20 million people.

Face it Nancy - the Democrats want control of you.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 PM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
I can tell you from experience that most people on Medicare complain when they have to spend a dime for health care. The government is NOT talking about reducing the benefits. It wants to cut waste & fraud. .
And I can tell you from experience Nancy that the 'dime' I could complain about is the $11,000 for the last two years that we have paid while on Medicare.
And that was not for any extraordinary expenses.
And reimbursements are again being cut for nursing homes and cancer treatments for Medicare recipients.....See my earlier post in this thread.

If you have read, Medicare cuts are counted in as part of what will pay for this program.
So I think we also have every right to be concerned.
Even if we were not being affected, most of us have children and grandchildren that will be

Old 08-06-2009, 12:39 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Default This is not a bill designed to benefit the average citizen

Democrats blocked nearly every effort by Republicans to craft a bill which could in any way be considered “bipartisan.” Instead, they wrote a bill which appeals directly to special interest groups and big campaign contributors like the trial lawyers, unions, illegal immigrants and abortion activists.

Democrats rejection of Republican amendments is the smoking gun documentation which proves this legislation isn’t a health bill for Americans. It’s another Christmas tree for extreme liberals and it will only make health care problems worse, not better!

This is not a bill to benefit the average American citizen.

Flopping Aces » Blog Archive » Cutting Through the Disinformation: Democrats Health Care Bill Rejected Bipartisan Solutions

Old 08-06-2009, 12:45 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Allow insurance to be sold across state lines
It is. What the heck do you think all those internet sites are doing? Was this something you heard John McCain say in the Presidential debates? If you are talking about allowing people to shop for policies not approved or regulated in their own states, studies have show it would hurt most Americans.

[URL]http://www.newamerica.net/publications/policy/across_state_lines_explained[/URL]

Did you ever watch the Apprentice? Asking large, profit making corporations to compete sort of like that with the "do whatever it takes" attitude. So are you saying you don't want the States to protect people buying insurance with its laws?

What I don't understand is this. On this thread and many others, those against a public option keep saying that Americans are happy with their health insurance. So if 90% will keep their current plans, what are the insurance companies afraid of? If the people can hang onto what they already have, why are they so opposed to others having a choice?

Regarding "opting out" of Medicare, that's not an option for most of us. Also, there just isn't a better health care plan than Medicare IMHO. Yes, many doctors won't accept Medicare, but that's nothing new. I know many seniors who have undergone extensive surgery and thank God everyday for Medicare. Without it they'd be homeless or dead. OTOH there are many people on Medicare who are millionaires and own 2 or 3 houses while families go hungry.

Last edited by justNancy; 08-06-2009 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
It is. What the heck do you think all those internet sites are doing? I can sell insurance in any state in which I have a non-resident license, not just Florida. I can sell it online and on the phone. Was this something you heard John McCain say in the Presidential debates?
Nancy - each state currently regulates insurance rates for residents of those states. The insurance pool is that state.

What we are talking about is making the entire United States the insurance pool.

Also, with regards to health insurance - each insurance company has to get approval from each state they want to do business in - including rate approvals. The proposal would eliminate the need for the insurance company to go to 50 regulatory bodies and instead - they would only have to go to 1 (one). Easier. Cheaper. More logical.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:10 PM

guess we seniors don't get an apology from Nancy for bitchin about our dimes

Old 08-06-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And I can tell you from experience Nancy that the 'dime' I could complain about is the $11,000 for the last two years that we have paid while on Medicare.
And that was not for any extraordinary expenses.
And reimbursements are again being cut for nursing homes and cancer treatments for Medicare recipients.....See my earlier post in this thread.

If you have read, Medicare cuts are counted in as part of what will pay for this program.
So I think we also have every right to be concerned.
Even if we were not being affected, most of us have children and grandchildren that will be
Sorry you've been stuck with such high expenses, but do you have a Medicare Supplement? Most people I know who have had very extensive surgery for heart conditions, cancer, and other life threatening illnesses and have a good supplement, rarely have to pay a balance.

I was mainly talking about the many people I've met who complain about the $96.40 that is deducted from their social security checks for Part B or the $135 deductible. If you've read my other posts, you know that I also realize there are many people who cannot afford to pay for supplements or the additional out-of-pocket costs. I've written about the people living on social security who are struggling and the dual eligibles who are living in poverty.

All I was trying to say is that, although it's far from perfect, Medicare is much better than anything I could get for $96.40 a month. Of course I care about seniors and people on disability who are struggling. But I've been in mansions too. I've heard people who just came back from a Caribbean Cruise complain about a copay for a prescription.

If we lived in a country with medical care for all its citizens, we wouldn't be comparing Medicare with under 65 health coverage, would we? It's sad that it's come to this, where older people are worried about losing benefits because younger people want to be able to go to the doctor. Doesn't this bother anyone? We are #29 out of 30 industrialized countries in infant mortality. We are way at the bottom when it comes to life expectancy. How can anyone possibly say the United States has a great health care system?

Last edited by justNancy; 08-06-2009 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: added last paragraph

Old 08-06-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Sorry you've been stuck with such high expenses, but do you have a Medicare Supplement? Most people I know who have had very extensive surgery for heart conditions, cancer, and other life threatening illnesses and have a good supplement, rarely have to pay a balance.

I was mainly talking about the many people I've met who complain about the $96.40 that is deducted from their social security checks for Part B or the $135 deductible. If you've read my other posts, you know that I also realize there are many people who cannot afford to pay for supplements or the additional out-of-pocket costs. I've written about the people living on social security who are struggling and the dual eligibles who are living in poverty.

All I was trying to say is that, although it's far from perfect, Medicare is much better than anything I could get for $96.40 a month. Of course I care about seniors and people on disability who are struggling. But I've been in mansions too. I've heard people who just came back from a Caribbean Cruise complain about a copay for a prescription.
It is true that we've never had to pay a doctor or hospital balance.
And I forgive you

Old 08-06-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
guess we seniors don't get an apology from Nancy for bitchin about our dimes
Thanks for attacking me. You can see by the time posted, I was writing a comment. It's not as if I sit at my computer 24/7. Geesh!

Edit: talk about timing!

Old 08-06-2009, 01:37 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
I just realized the $11,000 you mentioned is for a supplement. I see. Yes, they are getting very expensive. That's why Medicare Advantage plans became so popular in 2005, but I can tell you from experience, there are a lot of expenses in those plans that are not covered. Still, although they're costing taxpayers billions, there are many people who are happy with them.
Nancy, they are "happy" with them because they have no other choice without greatly increasing their out of pocket costs for supplemental coverage. Not everyone can afford that. We can thank the Government for that arrangement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies