Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:05 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That sounds like a good idea. No physical exam and no patient interview, yet a medicine was prescribed. That is what we call "malpractice" in the US. Why not just prescribe yourself?
I believe TxDave was talking about refills. But while we are on the subject of malpractice. I have heard doctors say that their costs to the hospital is 3% assuming that is true for the moment, what is their cost to their health insurance industry. In the U.S. only doctors may write prescriptions, with a few exceptions.

Some doctors are treating the perfectly healthy. No real problem but there is always a cure. Zolof, Zanez, welbutrin, etc. etc. There is a huge black market for "mood stabilizers" , pain killers etc, and these drugs are being sold on the black market. Where do the drugs come from...well obviously the majority were prescribed in U.S. You have a combination of both addicted users and distributers of these legal drugs going through doctors who in this context are little more than high paid pushers.
I have no idea as to common this is and I know that it does not apply to everyone. There is also the problem of shopping doctors to get more medication, and since there is no data base to show past treatment that a doctor can pull up, how are they to know. I do know that it is not very difficult for college students to go to see a doctor to get adaral or provigil or some other stimulant so they can study for their finals...just put it down as narcalepsy, that works. Who is paying for all of these visits. For the most part, Health Insurance companies. By doctors not being more strict on prescribing these types of drugs, everyone pays.
Who benefits...well the doctor gets paid for a doctors visit and the pharms. There are a lot of doctors in the back pocket of the pharm industry. There are varying degree of course be it from receiving free samples, steak dinners or something a lot more egregious. Oh I know the pharms are just educating the doctors on the benefit of their drugs. If that is the case fine; however, it is a slippery slope to prescribing drugs that have a generic equivalent, may not be the best suited for the symptoms, or when no treatment is necessary at all. All of these things add costs to the health industry.
There was a time when Doctors, as a whole, were very well respected. I fear that time may pass if Doctors can't regulate themselves someone else will have to. I am not casting any dispersions on you personally. Since you are part of the old guard I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and I appreciate your opinion. But certainly, you must admit that this is happening and it does increase the cost of health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I recently had some pricey medical treatment. I chose to stay in my hometown for treatment, as I know the quality of care is high and I did not want to even travel in the US, knowing what I know about people who get care out of town. It would be different if the care was bad. I am able to afford to pay out of pocket for pretty much anything I want...
You must not get out much. Having said that, I care for my money, as did a friend of mine, who was to pay $3700 for MRI. Instead, he chose to get it done in India, for $150 (and $900 for round trip tickets, plus a little extra for a nice vacation). I would too!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You must not get out much. Having said that, I care for my money, as did a friend of mine, who was to pay $3700 for MRI. Instead, he chose to get it done in India, for $150 (and $900 for round trip tickets, plus a little extra for a nice vacation). I would too!
God bless capitalism!

Of course, doctors will claim the MRI is somehow substandard or that the technicians are underqualified, in order to defend their "fair market value" price of procedures done domestically.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
God bless capitalism!

Of course, doctors will claim the MRI is somehow substandard or that the technicians are underqualified, in order to defend their "fair market value" price of procedures done domestically.
Yes and then tell you that you will need another one.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Yes and then tell you that you will need another one.
Good point. They could, but I doubt it.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 PM

486 posts, read 984,253 times
Quote:
You will then see a lot fewer doctors enter the field and further rationing of care, whether it's a private or public plan
That's the vicious cycle we have. It used to be about patients now it's about THE POCKET!! For everyone else but the patient, of course! The health insurance industry, doctors, pharmaceutical companies etc.. Something is got to give and it can't continue to be us as consumers paying for health policies that go up at an average of 10% every year!!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
God bless capitalism!

Then those doctors need to get out as well. A colleague of mine (Indian) took a transfer to India and returned to India for medical reasons. He had pretty good coverage but his wife's condition was getting worse. Things are much better for them.

Its global capitalism! Although, the health care system for the general populace is government run with those who can afford private... going for private. So, they have a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
That's the vicious cycle we have. It used to be about patients now it's about THE POCKET!! For everyone else but the patient, of course! The health insurance industry, doctors, pharmaceutical companies etc.. Something is got to give and it can't continue to be us as consumers paying for health policies that go up at an average of 10% every year!!
Like I said, overseas surgery is going to compete much more heavily against domestic surgery. It's even more evident when you have doctors trying to dissuade people from using it and defending their overpriced practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
Yes, but amazingly no one can ever explain why. Lawsuits, uninsured, it rained last year...blah, blah.

The real answer. They are making a killing...pardon the pun.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:07 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
This is true. Finally. The larger costs are made up of hospital costs and insurance profits. Having said that it is disingenious of the AMA and doctors to blame Torts and malpractice insurance which only make up 1.5% of health care costs.

You never really answered the question. HOw do you drive down health care costs.

1. We don't blame torts per se as the main factor for increased health costs. It is a major factor however. Independent of the direct cost of litigation, we all over order labs and imaging to protect ourselves. That is THE REAL cost of litigation and is a major expense. I waste $10,000 every day to cover myself. Why? Because we have to in the current medical legal climate. Just reduced ordering of labs and imaging could solve this health care "crisis".

2. Residency slot numbers are determined by the feds, as they supplement residency training position costs. Department heads want as many residents as they can support, as they are cheap labor for clinical duties as well as research. National organizations have little impact on the number of residency slots, other than providing demographic information of anticipated need. It is not a "guild". Likewise, one does not want to flood the market with too many docs in one specialty. Why? Because if a doc is not able to find a job, word filters down to medical students who abandon that specialty. The result? A shortage in that field. This happened in anesthesia in the early 90s. They have not been able to ramp up to satisfy the shortage since. A takes a while to "grow" a doctor and planning must be several years in advance.

3. Overseas surgery is not a "turf" issue for me. I am a lower payment, higher volume guy. Very few procedures I do would make any sense at all to do overseas, as the cost of transportation would far exceed the price here. Further, I am on the downhill side of my career and more interested in what I may face as a consumer of health care.

4. I told you in a previous post in detail how to cut health costs. You didn't like the answer-

a. cut payment to providers- how do you think overseas care is cheaper?
b. make use of more ancillary providers
c. reduce the admission criteria for med school
d. Reduce the time for med school
e. reduce the time for residency training
f. use only generic drugs
g. ban imaging beyond x-rays and CTs
h. Do not permit orthopedic surgery on patients not currently working
g. Eliminate care in patients with life expectancy of one year or less and use only palliative care
h. Ban the development and marketing of new technology
i. Make use of nurses aides rather than nurses
j. Ban care for any child born earlier than 30 weeks
k. Ban care for any patient over 80
l. Make patients and thier families responsible for some of the care while in the hosptial
m. eliminate transplants

There you go- health care crisis solved. The problem is that medicine is a free market. The above would certainly cut costs. Let's see if there is a health care system remaining after we do it. People want cheaper care, but are unwilling to accept what cheaper care entails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies