Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 04:57 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
What makes you think outsiders are obsessed with the Confederate flag?
Maybe because 99.9% of the threads on CD about the Confederate flag are started by northerners?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
There is so much ignorance in this thread it's really comical. It's simply a symbol of "Dixie" which by the way was written by a Nawthener....lol even he knew the South was better. Dixie that is cornbread and collard greens, short track racing, pretty southern belles, country music, Lynyrd Skynyrd, politeness, manners, etc.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:49 PM

23 posts, read 62,661 times
Thumbs up Learn your history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusX View Post
Do they not know that the war has been over since 1865 and that they lost? Do they realize what that ridiculous, uncreative flag (must of took a genius to come up with the idea of putting an X on it) stands for? Do they no longer want to be part of the United States? It is very anti-American to support the views this flag represents.
Read about what the North did to the South during the "Reconstruction". The blacks were pissed because after the war we didn't integrate them completely (I don't blame them. We were wrong.) The South is pissed because they were treated terribly by the North after the war was fought. Similar reasons to be pissed. Read up and you won't find yourself having to ask questions that make you look like a fool.

I was born in NJ, so don't assume anything, genius.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:57 PM

Default You can't help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
I didn't read the thread, but I just figured I would jump in and say that to me, the Confederate flag represents slavery. The first thing that comes to my mind when I see it isn't the South being its own nation, but rather the oppression of a race.
This is because you're not aware of the FACT that the War Between the States was not fought over slavery. Slavery was supposed to be dealt with in 1820, according to the Constitution. We waited. The South didn't want to be a member of the Union. Lincoln offered to allow them to keep slaves to avoid war. The South refused. The Southern Flag represents a confederacy. Not slavery or oppression.

Lincoln wanted to send the blacks back to Africa.
Blacks sold blacks into slavery in Africa.
Whites, blacks, and Asians have used each other as slaves forever.

Do you think of oppression every time you see a black person wear the continent of Africa on them? Africans enslaved the blacks and whites bought them.

Native of New Jersey (Northern State)

Old 08-19-2009, 06:00 PM

Default Ignorant hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
We aren't obssesed. The South is the one that is obsessed because the war is over and still I see many people carrying that flag. The South does not have anything. The only real city of the South is Miami, and that is it. Other than that the South does not have anything to offer.
The South is booming financially. Your ignorance is painful. You make me embarrassed to be from NJ. Why are my Northern peers so freakin' stupid? Northerners are leaving the Northern States in droves to avoid oppressive taxes and regulations. This migration is enriching the Southern States. Wake up.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:03 PM

Default Brainwashed Loon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I disagree with you on that one. I don't see any difference in the Confederate Flag and the Swastika. Both born of hatred toward a race.

I think its a stubborn grasp on the part of those that still hold on to it, to show their blatant racism. I find it rather appaling when I see it whether its on someones car or in some other form.
Lincoln offered to allow slavery in exchange for avoiding war. The South simply wanted to leave the Union and Confederate. Unwash your brain.

I was born in NJ.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:05 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Maybe because 99.9% of the threads on CD about the Confederate flag are started by northerners?
Which is because they're interested in learning what the deal is with the Confederate flag. People don't fly them up here like they do down there.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:07 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
It certainly piques my interest as well. I saw someone flying a Confederate flag off the back of their Jeep this summer here in suburban Massachusetts, and it was definitely something to comment about. And what I was wondering was, What is this person thinking?
Hmm, well when my daughter's college friends come to visit us, some of them have the flag decals on the back of their vehicles. I saw a few cars at Gillette stadium this weekend (Countryfest) that had them, too. An actual flag sighting would be rare, I agree.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:08 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromansky View Post
Do you think of oppression every time you see a black person wear the continent of Africa on them? Africans enslaved the blacks and whites bought them.
If you see a Nazi flag, do you think of a German country which was in economic and political shambles and then emerged as a world super-power through almost sheer will...or do you think of the atrocities that were committed under that flag?

People are always going to see the worst part of things because it's always the bad parts people remember.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
From Wikipedia:

"According to Coski, the Saint Andrew's Cross had no special place in Southern iconography at the time, and if Miles had not been eager to conciliate the Southern Jews his flag would have used the traditional Latin, Saint George's Cross."

How dare anyone compare this flag with a swastika.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies