Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:53 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,054,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Thats his middle name isn't it?
Im sure none of them ever used "W" to refer to the President from 2001 to 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,333 times
Default health care reform is dead!

The Obama administration isn't very good at keeping the secret that it's planning on ditching the public option. If anyone wants a halfway decent health care reform bill as opposed to a bailout for the insurance industry sign this petition.
Change We Can Believe In
Right now I am very upset with Obama's policies, especially with health care, and unlike the teabaggers and the birthers and the screamers, I've got every right to be. I worked very hard to get Obama elected, unlike the right-wingers that have been fighting him and spreading misinformation about him from day one. I am a single payer advocate, just as Obama was in 2003. I'm willing to settle for health care reform with a strong public option, but nothing less. Health care reform without a public option is counter-productive in my opinion. It's nothing more than a bailout for health insurance companies. Obama bailed out the banking industry, helping the banking industry and its lobbyists. He still has defense contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan, benefiting the defense industry and its lobbyists. If he drops the public option from health care reform, it will just benefit the health insurance industry and its lobbyists. Where’s the change that he promised? He needs to take the lobbyists and the perpetuators of the status quo on head first instead of cutting deals with them, breaking his promises to the voters that elected him. If any of you really want change, sign this petition and let Obama know that he can't take your support for granted.

As for the rightwing teabaggers that are about to write a bunch of bull**** responses, I don't give a damn what you are about to write and am going to ignore you, so if your looking for attention go post on another thread.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Obama has waffled and changed his mind on several of "his promises". I don't see this is any different. With each broken promise he angers those that voted him in on that specific promise.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:37 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
This just in: A politician will say ANYTHING to get elected.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:55 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
The Obama administration isn't very good at keeping the secret that it's planning on ditching the public option. If anyone wants a halfway decent health care reform bill as opposed to a bailout for the insurance industry sign this petition.
Change We Can Believe In
Right now I am very upset with Obama's policies, especially with health care, and unlike the teabaggers and the birthers and the screamers, I've got every right to be. I worked very hard to get Obama elected, unlike the right-wingers that have been fighting him and spreading misinformation about him from day one. I am a single payer advocate, just as Obama was in 2003. I'm willing to settle for health care reform with a strong public option, but nothing less. Health care reform without a public option is counter-productive in my opinion. It's nothing more than a bailout for health insurance companies. Obama bailed out the banking industry, helping the banking industry and its lobbyists. He still has defense contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan, benefiting the defense industry and its lobbyists. If he drops the public option from health care reform, it will just benefit the health insurance industry and its lobbyists. Where’s the change that he promised? He needs to take the lobbyists and the perpetuators of the status quo on head first instead of cutting deals with them, breaking his promises to the voters that elected him. If any of you really want change, sign this petition and let Obama know that he can't take your support for granted.

As for the rightwing teabaggers that are about to write a bunch of bull**** responses, I don't give a damn what you are about to write and am going to ignore you, so if your looking for attention go post on another thread.
Great Post!
I think everyone who voted for Obama was hoping he would not be another Bush. Looks like they might have been wrong.
Bush rolled over for the Wall Street and the big corporations. He was going to do so much about Illegal immigration until the big companies told him to back off as it would affect their illegal "slave labour" supply. He also pandered to the financial "gurus"

The biggest reason that Obama is dropping in the polls isn't because he wants a single payer option but because he looks like he is going to fold under pressure from the Insurance and pharmaceutical Companies and become just another presidential puppet to the "Elite".
If Obam came out swinging for the majority of America and kept to his beliefs he'd be high in the polls and would get real change in healthcare and not just a bail out for the health Insurance Industry.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:12 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The biggest reason that Obama is dropping in the polls isn't because he wants a single payer option but because he looks like he is going to fold under pressure from the Insurance and pharmaceutical Companies and become just another presidential puppet to the "Elite".
If Obam came out swinging for the majority of America and kept to his beliefs he'd be high in the polls and would get real change in healthcare and not just a bail out for the health Insurance Industry.
I totally agree.

I saw a headline this morning: White House signals openness to health care reform compromise. It's not compromise when one side caves to the other. Single payer has already been tossed out ... now it's the public option?

Obama never had and will never have the true loonies on the far right of the political spectrum, so he never had them to lose. But there were a helluva lot of people on the left and in the middle and even on the right who not only voted for him but who still believe in true health care reform.

It is generally true that something is better than nothing, and Lord knows there's plenty wrong with the current system that needs fixing. So anything that Congress and Obama agree on will be an improvement. But it's bad enough to have in front of us the real prospect of "settling" for half measures ... to know this is being done with Democratic majorities in both chambers is especially galling.

Even Congressional Republicans - speaking in particular about Supreme Court appointments - acknowledge that elections have consequences. I think someone needs to tell Obama.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:19 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I totally agree.

I saw a headline this morning: White House signals openness to health care reform compromise. It's not compromise when one side caves to the other. Single payer has already been tossed out ... now it's the public option?

Obama never had and will never have the true loonies on the far right of the political spectrum, so he never had them to lose. But there were a helluva lot of people on the left and in the middle and even on the right who not only voted for him but who still believe in true health care reform.

It is generally true that something is better than nothing, and Lord knows there's plenty wrong with the current system that needs fixing. So anything that Congress and Obama agree on will be an improvement. But it's bad enough to have in front of us the real prospect of "settling" for half measures ... to know this is being done with Democratic majorities in both chambers is especially galling.

Even Congressional Republicans - speaking in particular about Supreme Court appointments - acknowledge that elections have consequences. I think someone needs to tell Obama.
Only an idiot would disagree with what you just posted.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,729 times
Unfortunately, the democrats do not have a good history of being organized and united in passing important legislation. Even though I supported many democrats in the last election, do not be surprised if we see the tide turn in 2010.

It is hard to support or vote for any candidate (whether democrat or republican) that continues to support the monopoly that the pharmaceutical companies have over the American people. I thought we lived in a global economy. Or is it, global for some things and not for others.

It is sad.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:49 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,054,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Change We Can Believe In

All true, but why do you critisize the "tea baggers"? They are sick of the corporate pandering and lobbyists as well... If you were not so angry you would see they are saying some of the same things you are.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:19 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
There will be reforms to health insurance practices. But, there will not be a "single payer" or a "public option" as some clamor for.

And while there are those that blame the insurance or drug lobbies for the demise of the public option, they seem to forget that there is another reason for this demise: The PEOPLE. The American People. The PEOPLE do not want public options. And they have come out in droves, they have written to their representatives in unprecedented numbers.

And Members of Congress are listening to what the PEOPLE want.

As they should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies