Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,683,967 times

Advertisements

I guess some Dominicans are more Dominican than others...................

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/24/wo...ourt.html?_r=0

Old 10-25-2013, 09:41 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,918,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I guess some Dominicans are more Dominican than others...................

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/24/wo...ourt.html?_r=0
Hey, it's no different than what many people in America want to do today! Right?

Change the definition of what it means to be an "American"....let's drop COLUMBUS DAY from the holiday schedule. Let's change the name of the REDSKINS as if the tragedy of ethnic cleansing just "goes away". Let's just pretend it never happened.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:59 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,683,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Hey, it's no different than what many people in America want to do today! Right?

Dunno. I have nothing to do with that.

Quote:
Change the definition of what it means to be an "American"....let's drop COLUMBUS DAY from the holiday schedule.
Now that I have no problem with.

Quote:
Let's change the name of the REDSKINS as if the tragedy of ethnic cleansing just "goes away". Let's just pretend it never happened.

Don't know what you're getting at here.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:17 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,555,653 times
Quote:
They don't celebrate African heritage....they just....don't. They recognize their African roots about as much as the average light skin Black American recognizes their WASP slave master lineage...and hold about the same regard for it.

Can we also make claims that many black Americans "struggle with their whiteness"??

I was going out of my way to make the point that the only people who are whining and complaining about Dominicans "African roots" are black Americans! They are the only ones who really seem to care!

It's like this constant propaganda to co-opt.

The average Dominican looks similar to this....

....but wants the world to ignore what our eyes see right in front of us. Its just so very silly.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The average Dominican looks similar to this....

....but wants the world to ignore what our eyes see right in front of us. Its just so very silly.
You are in California...I'd wager you know very little about what the "average Dominican" looks like. And you are dead wrong...the "average Dominican" does not look like that. Many do...not "the average".

Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Don't know what you're getting at here.
What I am getting act is, while I don't condone the actions of the law, the legislation is ..without a doubt..passed with the oppression the Dominicans faced from the Haitians in mind.

Given the opportunity, Black Americans would more than likely do the exact same thing here. You still have the "the need for reparations" drivel being perpetuated by people (Rahm Emmanuel, Jeremiah Wright anyone?) in this country.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
You are in California...I'd wager you know very little about what the "average Dominican" looks like. And you are dead wrong...the "average Dominican" does not look like that. Many do...not "the average".
Actually I am in Arizona but I have traveled throughout the US and the world. I have many friends (and family by marriage) from the Caribbean and I have spent enough time in NY and NJ to know how the average DRs look. The majority of DRs have distinguishable African features and/or coloring...how could they not when approximately 90% of the population of the DR has sub-Saharan African ancestry. The origin of the "look" is predominantly West African with some European and a miniscule indigenous ancestry.

I mean where do these people think that their dark skin and kinky hair comes from? China? Ireland? Russia? These people are certainly not "African American" (they are a different people culturally, of course) but the majority are indeed "black". And they can call themselves whatever they desire but they can not tell other people to deny what our eyes see when we look at them.

Quote:
What I am getting act is, while I don't condone the actions of the law, the legislation is ..without a doubt..passed with the oppression the Dominicans faced from the Haitians in mind.

Given the opportunity, Black Americans would more than likely do the exact same thing here. You still have the "the need for reparations" drivel being perpetuated by people (Rahm Emmanuel, Jeremiah Wright anyone?) in this country.
Sorry but no. I have a LOT of family members (including my father) who could pass or nearly pass for "white". However, we are proud of who we are. We acknowledge all of our ancestry but we also know that we are black people and proud to be.

Your hatred of Black Americans is palpable (which is why I find it odd that you wander into each and every thread about black folks) And I am sure that you must be deeply conflicted about the fact that your Dominican wife is most likely considered "black" in America. Quite a conundrum for you, I'm sure.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Actually I am in Arizona but I have traveled throughout the US and the world. I have many friends (and family by marriage) from the Caribbean and I have spent enough time in NY and NJ to know how the average DRs look. The majority of DRs have distinguishable African features and/or coloring...how could they not when approximately 90% of the population of the DR has sub-Saharan African ancestry. The origin of the "look" is predominantly West African with some European and a miniscule indigenous ancestry.

I mean where do these people think that their dark skin and kinky hair comes from? China? Ireland? Russia? These people are certainly not "African American" (they are a different people culturally, of course) but the majority are indeed "black". And they can call themselves whatever they desire but they can not tell other people to deny what our eyes see when we look at them.
Many have what I would call mixed features. Yes, most have some bearing of African features. But what you posted is simply not your "average Dominican"...sorry. In my whole extended family, that example is the extreme minority...and they are not whute hispanic.

Quote:
Sorry but no. I have a LOT of family members (including my father) who could pass or nearly pass for "white". However, we are proud of who we are. We acknowledge all of our ancestry but we also know that we are black people and proud to be.
Ok...so if you recognize pride. Why are you struggling with the fact these people want to be sure Miss McKoy is indeed a Latina? Or am I missing what cultural pride is about? Is it just saying you are "X" nationality with pride and partying with them?

Can I say I am Black and Proud? I am certain I can find somebody black down my tree if given the resources....I'm not a pasty white boy.

EDIT: And I'm not conflicted. My wife IS considered black. But you try and tell her that. You and her may have skin color in common...but it might just end there. And I have no "hatred of Black Americans"...I hate society in general. But I hate much of the culture "Black America" has adopted. I guess I hate Blacks as much as Farrakhan.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Many have what I would call mixed features. Yes, most have some bearing of African features. But what you posted is simply not your "average Dominican"...sorry. In my whole extended family, that example is the extreme minority...and they are not whute hispanic.

Ok...so if you recognize pride. Why are you struggling with the fact these people want to be sure Miss McKoy is indeed a Latina? Or am I missing what cultural pride is about? Is it just saying you are "X" nationality with pride and partying with them?

Can I say I am Black and Proud? I am certain I can find somebody black down my tree if given the resources....I'm not a pasty white boy.

EDIT: And I'm not conflicted. My wife IS considered black. But you try and tell her that. You and her may have skin color in common...but it might just end there. And I have no "hatred of Black Americans"...I hate society in general. But I hate much of the culture "Black America" has adopted. I guess I hate Blacks as much as Farrakhan.
Personally, I found it to be quite hypocritical of you to complain about the Afro-Latina who won the pageant being undocumented or (in your opinion) is misrepresenting who she is when your wife and her entire family happen to be basically doing the EXACT same thing. Your Dominican wife and her family are not being HONEST about who they are.

ETA: I just find all of this so sad for those who can not accept and love who they are. I had a childhood friend who was a beautiful Panamanian girl with very dark skin and very African features. She got pregnant by her white Cuban boyfriend (who did not marry her). When she had the baby, another friend and I went to her home to visit. She kept repeating over and over things such as "Look, my baby is white", "I'm so happy that she is white" etc. My other friend and I looked at each other like "what is she talking about?" The baby was the complexion of Halle Berry and has gotten darker as she has grown up. It was just such a sad situation. It was as if having a "white" baby meant everything in the world to her.

Last edited by calipoppy; 10-26-2013 at 08:33 PM..

Old 10-26-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Personally, I found it to be quite hypocritical of you to complain about the Afro-Latina who won the pageant being undocumented or (in your opinion) is misrepresenting who she is when your wife and her entire family happen to be basically doing the EXACT same thing. Your Dominican wife and her family are not being HONEST about who they are.
You might be right about that.

She claims Dominican but she was born in America.

Just like I claim Hungarian but I was born in America.

Go figure.

Maybe I am being a hypocrite because I didn't trace back 200 generations to claim Sumerian roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies