Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,292,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
If murders are just one component of the total violent crime, why wouldn't the denominator also decrease if murders were cut in half?

Technically it would, but for the sake of explaining it to Finn i was making the denominator fixed at whatever it currently was for effect. A larger change in the numerator would bring a larger change in the outcome if the denominator was fixed.

common sense mathematically should kick in if the numerator is shrinking and the denominator is fixed well the outcome is going to shrink significantly. I was just trying to make the point to him.

In general gopatta2d you are correct

if we take away 500 murders from the nominator by default the denominator would also shrink by 500 murders, and the overall numbers would fall as well, but the fall wouldn't be as significant as when the denominator was fixed. lol

1000/2000 =.5

500/2000 = .25

500/1500 = .33

Last edited by dorock99; 10-14-2009 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 12:23 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
They were removed at the state level as a preemtive measure AFTER the SC ruling.
eeeehhh....no. See the Tennesee gun law change for example.

You are still talking about the DC ruling.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
sure thing, you can own semi automatic rifles and maching guns there, not.

maybe you should check out europes gun laws more carefully, besides switzerlands and theirs for the most part only effect their homegrown militia.
Every law-abiding citizen in Austria can buy a handgun.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,292,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yea, keep diluting those numbers. LOL. Keep repeating that violent crime is not a problem, and eventually someone might believe it.

Violent crime in NYC dropped significantly more under Giuliani than in US as whole. Today you can actually walk around in areas, which were no-go before his era.

Finn_Jarber opinions are fine and dandy, but back it up with facts. Perhaps you are having trouble grasping at the idea of supporting your opinion with fact.

For instance if the overall crime rate started falling in 1960 in every major city, town, county, and the overall United States, how does giving someone credit for something that was automatically happening on its own validate they stopped violent crime?

Also can you show me any historical evidence that New York City had a crime problem relative to any other major city of that size?

All the things I've ever read about New York City and crime is that it's one of the safest and largest cities of its kind. Based on the large numbers of individuals that live there the crime rate is significantly low when compared to other cities in the United States.

It's fine and dandy you attempt to trumpet your opinion as fact, but I'm a numbers guy and if you cannot prove it to me via numbers, i do not want to listen.

Your logic is just so far off. The real issue that individuals seem to forget is the poverty rate in major city has declined significantly since the 1960's. Not to mention there's been a huge increase in high school graduation rates, college attendance rates, and a larger shift to more white collar higher paying jobs. Perhaps he benefited from many disadvantaged groups moving into another economic class. In fact I'm pretty sure economics has the most to do with the vast reduction in crime in America.

We can make up fairy tales about the violence in this country until we are blue in the face, but the reality is we are less violent now then we ever were in the past 100 years. If you can find evidence to the contrary please post it. I certainly have not seen it posted on the DOJ website.

My concern is since there is no evidence to the contrary why are politicians constantly passing legislation to make us safer?

Why do news outlets promote violence?

We have unemployment at 10% and yet crime continues to drop significantly, but yet it's not promoted, so it makes me wonder why?

The biggest concern i have is with brainwashed citizens, they are much more a concern then the violent crime rate. In my opinion they pose more of threat to me then any would be criminal/terrorist. If more people were not scared to open their closet and become individual thinkers we would not have this boogie man fear of everything.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:13 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,261 times
The real answer is abortion. Since it begin legal crime has decreased.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Finn_Jarber opinions are fine and dandy, but back it up with facts. Perhaps you are having trouble grasping at the idea of supporting your opinion with fact.

For instance if the overall crime rate started falling in 1960 in every major city, town, county, and the overall United States, how does giving someone credit for something that was automatically happening on its own validate they stopped violent crime?
Actually violent crime skyrocketed from mid 1980s to 1995 mostly due to raise in street gangs. And then it started to come down again.

Keep spinning spinning and diluting numbers, and maybe one day you'll come back to declare that violent crime doesn't exist at all.

New York City

Crime in New York City has been a concern of residents since the 19th century. During the administrations of Mayor Rudolph Giuliani (1994-2001) and Mayor Michael Bloomberg (2002-present), crime dropped dramatically.

As of 2005, New York City has the lowest crime rate among the ten largest cities in the United States.[12] Since 1991, the city has seen a continuous fifteen-year trend of decreasing crime. Neighborhoods that were once considered dangerous are now much safer. Violent crime in the city has dropped by 75% in the last twelve years and the murder rate in 2005 was at its lowest level since 1963: there were 539 murders that year, for a murder rate of 6.58 per 100,000 people, compared to 2,245 murders in 1990. Among the 182 U.S. cities with populations of more than 100,000, New York City ranked 136th in overall crime (with about the same crime rate as Boise, Idaho).[13]

Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,429 times
Let's stick with the subject because it is very interesting ...

The meaning of this thread is how far the pro gun people,politicians,voters,

should go to accomodate non gun & anti gun people...

Arnold shows the way for meaningful compromise...

Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post

There is nothing meaningful about legislation that requires one to provide fingerprints to exercise a right guaranteed in the constitution.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post

I am not going to compromise at all with anti gun people, specially when they lie to push a agenda. Why should anybody support or give up freedom for a liar? Why do they lie to dupe people? Doesn't that make you wonder what their true agenda is?

Arnold is a epic fail due to him signing these laws.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:31 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,429 times
Guys,let's be flexible,NRA has only 4m members,gun ownership is in decline among Dems & women,only 1.5% of adults carry...

Already half the areas of any given city are gun free zones.

We get chased from schools,colleges,campuses,malls,bars,restaurants,w orkplaces,hospitals,shows,games,concerts...

Either we keep banging on our drums or we appeal to the non/anti people,

we reach out &...touch them...trying to ease the restrictions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies