Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:46 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,009 times

Advertisements

[B]We have not spoken in over 8 years. Although I send my mother and father cards on every holiday and occasionally write to let them know I am alive, I have never received so much as a card in return. [/B]

I am so sorry...I know how that feels, I have not spoken to mine either due to abuse issues they care not to own up too and just the total lack of respect not reciperated..so I know the pain of losing "living relatives and family" all too well, your better off, I know its hard to think that way, but if they can't find it in their heart of hearts to accept you and love you, being their child and your own right to make your decisions, they are not worthy of you....safe hugs to you...please try to enjoy this day, honor someone who loves you maybe? Take care!

Old 05-13-2007, 09:04 AM

7,997 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Default For what it's worth...

After reading all these posts, I had to throw in my two cents.

We REALLY, REALLY need to begin teaching TOLERANCE in our schools, beginning in the grade schools. When my son was born, I remember thinking that I could care less whether he ended up being gay; what was important was that he be able to have meaningful, intimate, well adjusted relationships. If that meant a meaningful gay relationship, so be it. My husband and I always had friends who were gay. My son grew up knowing gay people, liking gay people before he ever even understood what being gay meant. He learned to accept people for who they are. He understood what "diversity" meant, he understood what acceptance and tolerance meant. He understood that there are differences between groups of people, but also focused on the similarities. He grew up knowing that it was absolutely essential to respect others, even those that you disagree with. He attended my lesbian friend's wedding when he was still in middle school. His godmother is a NUN who has gay family members. She was certainly another role model for him. We live in a globalized world, and yet, it is still so divisive. The day after gay marriage was legalized here in Massachusetts, the sky did not fall down. Life went on, as it always had. It's perspective. It's tolerance. I think there's hope, I really do.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:48 AM

I do not agree, some religious people would be offended, and if that is their belief that is their belief and they are entitled to it too. I am not even a christian, but I stand by rights for all, you can't FORCE people to accept something or someone, that is just as wrong here, can't you see that?! [b]I am against FORCING anyone to believe something that they do not agree with! End of story!!!

Old 05-13-2007, 10:22 AM

Example...would you want your children to be brainwashed to accept the Lord? I bet not!

Old 05-13-2007, 10:43 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Example...would you want your children to be brainwashed to accept the Lord? I bet not!
First off I pray today you are blessed and comforted. (I know you are not a believer, but I pray you are indeed blessed). You are a mom.

Second, one cannot truly accept the Lord if He is forced on them in anyway shape or form.
It has to be out of freewill, it is a free choice, each person must make that choice in their own hearts.
It is about education then a free choice, and loving those who choose Him and choosing to love those who don't.
MBG

Old 05-13-2007, 03:50 PM

179 posts, read 119,969 times
No one is forcing anything on anyone. All gays and lesbians want is equal rights and treatment--the RIGHT to marry, the right to have the same benefits straight couples do. Nothing more.

Why do you people make such a big deal about these things? And i didn't want to make this personal ,but I find it interesting that Hoosier_Guy hasn't responded to this thread.

As he claims to be an "ex-gay", I'd like to know how he's dealing with the feelings he still has for other men. Feelings that will never go away. I'm in no position to speak for someone else, but that must be a miserable existence.

I'm glad my daughter was strong enough to admit to herself the feelings she had, instead of marrying a man, having kids, and being miserable. Why can't some of you accept that there is human variation? Not EVERYONE wants to do that.

Bottom line, this isn't an issue of what's moral. Like I stated, it's not moral convicted cold blooded killers (Eric and Lyle Menendez, Scott Peterson) can get/are married despite their heinous crimes. So don't talk to me about morality.

This is an issue of fair and equal rights. And, whether or not something is moral isn't the question--60 years ago it was immoral for a white woman to marry a white man.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:58 PM

This has nothing to do with race here, its bout a lifestyle that people find immoral, and frankly that is their right to believe so and they should not be FORCED to accept it...even as a non-chrisitan, I have problems with it, but not with the person, just their choices, like if they were alcoholic or something and I know many alcohoics and love them dearly...so lets not force people to accept your lifestyle, go live as you see fit, no one really cares bout your love life here, I certainly don't...just don't make it manadotory for christians or for my case here, nonchristians to be FORCED to accept your lifestyle.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:00 PM

It would be like saying, ok you must follow Jesus or your going to hell, its not different here, forcing someone to be OK with something they aren't...that to me is worse here, much more so!

Old 05-13-2007, 04:02 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,701 times
But it is an issue of rights. Just because some people find it immoral does not mean that rights should be restricted, and this is where the analogy to race comes in.

Some people used to find mixed race couples immoral, therefore they could not wed.

Today, some people find homosexuality immoral, therefore they cannot wed.

Either the race or sexual preference thing is immoral only in the eye of the beholder. If you find it distasteful, do not partake. But if a person is gay and wants to get married, they should be able to do so.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:08 PM

Well people, esp children should NOT be "brainwashed" or "shamed" into thinking the way you do and the way you want the world to be..sure there should be respect for all, and abuse is something I never ever tolerate, I been there, but no way should a child be forced to or shamed into thinking he is wrong and that he or she is a bigot, this has NOTHING in common with race, people use the race card to gain power here and that I think really turns people way off here, from even listening to you.

But of course you entitled to your opinion, it is an OPINION, and should remain so, not a law you want to impose on people and make law and erode peoples beliefs and values cause you are not happy here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies