Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of feminism?
I approve of feminism 57 58.16%
I strongly disapprove of feminism 41 41.84%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 02:39 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,835,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Funny, I've always looked at my household as a joint effort.
My partner and I are full partners.

So, you agree with equality, but want to be more equal.
Do I have that right?
My wife's presence would be just as important as mine, her role in our children's lives is irreplaceable, and I also want her to fulfill all her dreams... BUT I am a firm believer in the man taking charge and keeping order in the home.

There's a reason men were created physically dominant and less inclined to act on emotion (generally speaking).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 02:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Well women are prone to filing for divorce these days basically for the man's money and his assets.

They can cheat on a man, divorce him he's screwed financially. I won't get into which race of women are prone to that.
Yep, no man has ever done that to a woman.
The main cause for poverty for women and children is divorce.

If you don't want women to work outside of the home and have gender and pay parity, when you get divorced, you have ended an implied contract where the man would care for the woman financially.

What is it that you expect?

I don't know about you, but I communicate in my relationships and we discuss what we want, where we are, shall we proceed, etc. and other big issues that affect both of us.

Don't you share open and honest communication? Or do you ignore warning signs and blow off discussions?

Old 11-20-2009, 02:50 PM

18,410 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
My wife's presence would be just as important as mine, her role in our children's lives is irreplaceable, and I also want her to fulfill all her dreams... BUT I am a firm believer in the man taking charge and keeping order in the home.

There's a reason men were created physically dominant and less inclined to act on emotion (generally speaking).

no one is "in charge" at my house nor in the homes of anyone I know! this seems to be a bit of a "macho" ideal from days gone by

Old 11-20-2009, 02:52 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:

Oh man, I could throw a tantrum about that sexist remark. But I'm going to hold my tongue (fingers from the keyboard) and just let you stew in your own sexist ideas.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
there is no such word pre-born in any dictionary I have looked at. the unborn would be a better use for what you are trying to convey. most women, feminist or not are completely against and horrified at all of the atrocities in lifelong's post. to ask what are the feminist doing to address this issue is to single out a group to solve the problem when it is a problem that should concern all the world not just women who believe in equality.
Fine, I accept unborn as correct terminology. No arguement there. I knew using the term "pre-born" would put a bur under the saddle blanket of many. It was easy bait.

As the thread heading requests views on feminism I believe this was the perfect place to ask exactly where feminists stood on these issues. It was not a thread on "the whole world".

My views: I've been greatly disappointed by what I have witnessed of the feminist movement that has existed during my adult life. This is because I do not see this movement speaking out about these atrocities in volume or through the most visible organization such as NOW. If feminists are speaking out against the issues I raise then I have failed to see it addressed with any presence in the "main stream media" or on women's forums I've visited.

I see little in this thread of women holding other women up. And, while the feminists of this forum will spend the time and effort to break down every sentence of my posts, or of other posters with differing views, they still have not stated where the feminists movement stands on the issues that directly reflect misogynistic treatment of women.

I've been on forums where these same questions I raised were originally raised over and over by other women and no feminist stood up to answer or to defend the silence. Instead the silence only continues. I was particularly suprised that the feminists on the Hillary forum around the time of the election failed to answer similar questions when raise by other Hillary supporters.

I don't hate feminists. I'd like to be one if they only set the bar higher. Really, I'm looking for positive examples to be given in regard to the questions I raised so that as a woman I can rally with feminists. But, thus far, in the 25 yrs of my life as an adult woman, I'm just not encouraged by what I see of "feminism"; especially if feminism is defined by the views with which I've been welcomed.

That is my view. You don't have to like it and you don't have to agree with it. However, your disagreement does not make my view of feminsism any less valid. If I am completely off base then perhaps feminists and the feminism movement need to do a better job portraying themselves and their viewpoints to women who are not part of their fold. Just a thought.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:05 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
From your posts, we get misogynistic treatment.
We don't have to go any farther.

So you came into this thread to bait, then get enraged when it was pointed out.
You asked a question about what "we" (who is this we) are doing about other countries and their plight?
I asked you what you were doing, of course there was no answer.

You don't seem to like women at all, you call them names and assert or is it project onto them what you make up to vilify them. You complain about others but say nothing about the issues you demand answers for. Apparently, you condemn others for not taking action (that you know of) and are taking no action yourself.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Yes, there is a reason but it is not what you infer. Hint: A wise man is well aquainted with the timeless truths contained in Kipling's "The Female of the Species" The Female Of The Species by Rudyard Kipling

Old 11-20-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
From your posts, we get misogynistic treatment.
We don't have to go any farther.

So you came into this thread to bait, then get enraged when it was pointed out.
You asked a question about what "we" (who is this we) are doing about other countries and their plight?
I asked you what you were doing, of course there was no answer.

You don't seem to like women at all, you call them names and assert or is it project onto them what you make up to vilify them. You complain about others but say nothing about the issues you demand answers for. Apparently, you condemn others for not taking action (that you know of) and are taking no action yourself.
Oh please, as though your posts don't contain any baiting?

I have not complained about other I have asked the feminists to show me where they stand and to this point, neither you, or other have done so. The silence of the feminists on these issues is deafening.
As for "projection" take a good hard look in the mirror and at your own posts. I think you are guilty of your own accusations.

You do not know me. I hate no one, not feminists and not women. I love life and all the good encompassed by this gift we've been given.

To say that no one should breed...the obvious result being the disappearence of the human race...is disturbing at so very many levels, including that of loathing of women and the responsibilty granted to them for the perpetuation of the human race. No, I am not the one projecting.

Good luck to you. I wish you peace.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
No, just speaking from my perspective. Watch the news, watch the videos on YouTube, watch reality television. Women create their own stereotypes.
negative stereotypes are one thing. it is not the norm. to insist that it is or not see that it isn't the case under normal circumstance...well seems foolish or stupid IMHO

Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Fine, I accept unborn as correct terminology. No arguement there. I knew using the term "pre-born" would put a bur under the saddle blanket of many. It was easy bait.

As the thread heading requests views on feminism I believe this was the perfect place to ask exactly where feminists stood on these issues. It was not a thread on "the whole world".

My views: I've been greatly disappointed by what I have witnessed of the feminist movement that has existed during my adult life. This is because I do not see this movement speaking out about these atrocities in volume or through the most visible organization such as NOW. If feminists are speaking out against the issues I raise then I have failed to see it addressed with any presence in the "main stream media" or on women's forums I've visited.

I see little in this thread of women holding other women up. And, while the feminists of this forum will spend the time and effort to break down every sentence of my posts, or of other posters with differing views, they still have not stated where the feminists movement stands on the issues that directly reflect misogynistic treatment of women.

I've been on forums where these same questions I raised were originally raised over and over by other women and no feminist stood up to answer or to defend the silence. Instead the silence only continues. I was particularly suprised that the feminists on the Hillary forum around the time of the election failed to answer similar questions when raise by other Hillary supporters.

I don't hate feminists. I'd like to be one if they only set the bar higher. Really, I'm looking for positive examples to be given in regard to the questions I raised so that as a woman I can rally with feminists. But, thus far, in the 25 yrs of my life as an adult woman, I'm just not encouraged by what I see of "feminism"; especially if feminism is defined by the views with which I've been welcomed.

That is my view. You don't have to like it and you don't have to agree with it. However, your disagreement does not make my view of feminsism any less valid. If I am completely off base then perhaps feminists and the feminism movement need to do a better job portraying themselves and their viewpoints to women who are not part of their fold. Just a thought.
life, at 25 I can see where you might not truly feel the impact or change all that the woman's movement brought to your generation, as you have always experienced a world of greater equality. I think your horror at the silence you see is honorable and sounds like something you would be good at putting yourself into to try to help change. I do not keep up on what woman's groups are doing or not doing out in the world. I would suspect they are just like the political organizations. you belong to one because they hold "most" of your values. they work to help "most" of your ideals. one group can not be all encompassing. again your world is far different than the world I grew up in and it is up to your generation of women to keep striving for change and equality for all women around the world. I do know there are groups that address your issues or we would not hear about the problems. I doubt there is a feminist group out there that isn't interested in stoping genital mutilation. it just isn't so. "image" is completely different thing. so what if someone "looks" radical. look at what they are trying to change before you toss their ideals away. it is the most radical among us that change things and make the world better for the folks that suffer. if you are truly serious about these issues find a group of storng women with like minds and work to fix it. how would you feel if you did this, you were making great strides and someone called your group radical feminist? like beauty I guess feminism must be in the eye of the beholder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies