Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 03:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Me too. It was dishonest and it taught me how to be a good liar. Who wouldn't try to avoid overly harsh punishment? It also made me rebel and become self-destructive for a while. Yes, those were my choices, but they seemed to me to be the only good ones I had.

If I had had a "middle-ground" type experience, I think I would have avoided some pain. I can't know that, of course, but I've seen differences in my friends and how all of us were raised. The middle-ground approach seems best in terms of results.
My mother still teases me about what a terrible teenager I was, and I always laugh politely because if she only knew the half of it. I told her a few things a few years ago, and she didn't respond well, so no more sharing. Yup, deception and lies were part of the survival toolkit. I think if our parents had actually ever talked to us, and then listened, instead of lecturing or demanding or instructing, things would have been very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Exactly Shizzles! As a conservative, I am very embarrassed by the postings of many right wingers on here who display an obvious, irrational hatred of Obama. I have stood up against these folks enough to where many of them act as if I'm an "evil left-winger". I hate to say this but it seems that I get much more respect from the liberals or moderate democrats than I do from fellow conservatives. It's a shame. By the way, I always enjoy your well-articulated posts Shizzles.
What, you're not a looney liberal? Now you tell me

Old 11-28-2009, 03:57 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,879 times
Great, LETS ALL MAKE THREADS WITH PRIMARY FOCUS AS AD HOMINEM ATTACKS AT OTHER POSTS

Come on, lets all be adults. As a guy who was recently harassed in this forum by another poster (one the the 'white nationalist crew' regulars here), let me say there is no reason for this. If you have a topic you want to discuss, post it. If you want to argue the poster, argue it. Dont make it a public fight.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Again, it's all about the individual. You're right, I am completely 180 on alot of things from you (I am an eeeeeeeeeevil Right Wingaaarrr, muhhahahahaha), but that doesn't mean you have to be nasty or mean about it. Frankly, I feel embarressed when someone makes fun of Obama in an offensive way becuase it casts a poor light on people who share my views.
Agreed. I would also think the point of these discussions is to debate the actions and performance of politicians, not give them vicious nick-names, or criticize their spouses or families or physical appearance. And the blame-game gets tedious, I am a lot more concerned about the current process and the end-results.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My mother still teases me about what a terrible teenager I was, and I always laugh politely because if she only knew the half of it. I told her a few things a few years ago, and she didn't respond well, so no more sharing. Yup, deception and lies were part of the survival toolkit. I think if our parents had actually ever talked to us, and then listened, instead of lecturing or demanding or instructing, things would have been very different.
Having raised teenagers, and having observed my kids' friend and their parents, I think that is a part of teenagerism, no matter how lenient/liberal the parents. There is always something the parents don't like. A very liberal parent, for ex. may allow drinking, but abhor smoking. I did read in a parenting book that girls tend to lie more than boys, simply b/c parents ask girls more questions about their whereabouts, activities, etc. This was certainly true in my family. I pretty much had to account for every minute when I was out, but my bro could just go out and say he was "out".

Old 11-28-2009, 04:07 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here in Colorado, which is neither east nor west, people will sometimes find seaky ways to cut in line.
How so?

Old 11-28-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Great, LETS ALL MAKE THREADS WITH PRIMARY FOCUS AS AD HOMINEM ATTACKS AT OTHER POSTS

Come on, lets all be adults. As a guy who was recently harassed in this forum by another poster (one the the 'white nationalist crew' regulars here), let me say there is no reason for this. If you have a topic you want to discuss, post it. If you want to argue the poster, argue it. Dont make it a public fight.
I do believe you misread the OP, who thought this was a great post, and deserved discussion on it's own, not OT in another thread. This is the topic:

"I think that we as a society are simply far too spoiled and sheltered to understand that life doesn't always revolve around ourselves. Someone posts something they disagree with and it's like commence the meltdown.

I don't like the extended adolescence culture the West has embraced. As a young adult, I looked forward to the supposed wisdom and maturity that would surround me as a member of the adult world. Now I look around and I feel like it's
8th grade all over again 24/7."

Old 11-28-2009, 04:12 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I do believe you misread the OP, who thought this was a great post, and deserved discussion on it's own, not OT in another thread. This is the topic:

"I think that we as a society are simply far too spoiled and sheltered to understand that life doesn't always revolve around ourselves. Someone posts something they disagree with and it's like commence the meltdown.

I don't like the extended adolescence culture the West has embraced. As a young adult, I looked forward to the supposed wisdom and maturity that would surround me as a member of the adult world. Now I look around and I feel like it's
8th grade all over again 24/7."
The title of the thread:

"Inspired by poster Shizzles: Modern Day Adults-Big Babies?"

There you go.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
The title of the thread:

"Inspired by poster Shizzles: Modern Day Adults-Big Babies?"

There you go.
Read the OP. And by the way Shizzles has been part of this debate, and no blood-shed yet, just some harmonious Kumbaya.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
How so?
Oh, all sorts of ways. For example, if you're in line at a store and they open another line, someone behind you will quick run up to the new register, things like that. A place where I go to the dr. finally instituted a "form one line" policy, even though they have several cashiers, b/c of all sorts of sneaky tactics. Now the next available cashier takes the next person in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies