Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:46 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I was horrified in the last few days to read one of the more prolific posters admit that people who shared her particular opinions had been "directed" to cause havoc on message boards such as these by being inflammatory and provocative, and inflicting verbal assault. Extraordinary isn't it. Some people must be so filled with anger and hatred that they cannot intellectually function without it's influence. I do hope that those who share idealogiclal opinion with posters such as these, on all sides of the debates, but are not so inclined to add the vitriol to their posts, start stepping forward and calling them on their tactics and infantile behaviour. If enough people step forward one would hope it would stop.

I have been trying to do this myself, and have been attacked for it, but so be it. The threads having to do with life and death issues are particularly prone to extreme emotional outbursts and trivializations. I maintain my position that it is possible to have reasonable exchange of ideas on these topics without character assassinations or hysteria.
That really explains a lot, and it is all sound and fury, signifying nothing. Thank you for posting this, dear Z-chica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 02:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
I was horrified in the last few days to read one of the more prolific posters admit that people who shared her particular opinions had been "directed" to cause havoc on message boards such as these by being inflammatory and provocative, and inflicting verbal assault. Extraordinary isn't it. Some people must be so filled with anger and hatred that they cannot intellectually function without it's influence. I do hope that those who share idealogiclal opinion with posters such as these, on all sides of the debates, but are not so inclined to add the vitriol to their posts, start stepping forward and calling them on their tactics and infantile behaviour. If enough people step forward one would hope it would stop.

I have been trying to do this myself, and have been attacked for it, but so be it. The threads having to do with life and death issues are particularly prone to extreme emotional outbursts and trivializations. I maintain my position that it is possible to have reasonable exchange of ideas on these topics without character assassinations or hysteria.
I must say I am shocked to read the above. I didn't think anyone would admit to such behavior. (I am not shocked that it happened, however.) I guess I messed the thread that was posted in.

I have long found it entertaining, not to mention hypocritical, that a very prolific poster uses all sorts of inflammatory, hyperbolic language about Obama and "the left", yet keeps harping that those of us to the left of Atilla the Hun should call out the posters who "abuse" the RWs.

I am responsible only for my own posts. I'll call out people I disagree with who I think are lying, and report posts (judiciously) of people who are making personal attacks. That's as far as I'll go.

I too, think it would be great to have a reasonable discussion. I think the people who post inflammatory stuff realize there can be no discussion when the words start flying.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:51 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I must say I am shocked to read the above. I didn't think anyone would admit to such behavior. (I am not shocked that it happened, however.) I guess I messed the thread that was posted in.
I thought you guys were part of that discussions. It was quite revealing.

Quote:
I am responsible only for my own posts. I'll call out people I disagree with who I think are lying, and report posts (judiciously) of people who are making personal attacks. That's as far as I'll go.
Yeah, you're right. I was overreacting. One poster whose basic opinions I share was being such an insensitive jerk, it just riled me up.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I thought you guys were part of that discussions. It was quite revealing.

Yeah, you're right. I was overreacting. One poster whose basic opinions I share was being such an insensitive jerk, it just riled me up.
I'm not recalling it if I was a part of it. My second response was for those who think we should "call out" everyone under the frickin' sun for using inflammatory language. It was not really addressed to you. I get riled up, too.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:23 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,396 times
Quote:
I'm not recalling it if I was a part of it. My second response was for those who think we should "call out" everyone under the frickin' sun for using inflammatory language. It was not really addressed to you. I get riled up, too.
What does "RW" mean anyway? I think I got one of those. A post got taken down of mine. Is that because someone reported it? (I don't imagine the mods have time to read through every post.)

Old 11-29-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
What does "RW" mean anyway? I think I got one of those. A post got taken down of mine. Is that because someone reported it? (I don't imagine the mods have time to read through every post.)
It means "Right Wing". You never know if a post was reported or if the mods were actually reading through a thread. Sometimes a post will be reported and the mod will delete a bunch of posts related to it.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:28 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Cute rebuttal. I just thought it was funny that the post was talking about adults being "big babies" and that it included some of the same cast of characters that want the government to take care of all of them.

I thought it was just another case of hypocrisy from a few lefties. You know, adults should take responsibility for themselves, but not when it comes to healthcare, jobs, etc. They should just take care of themselves sometimes, as long as it follows party lines.
I'm am far, far, far, from a leftie. I actually agree with you whole heartedly about how people need to take care of themselves. However, I feel your original post was seeking to derail the topic at hand. If that wasn't your intention then I apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies