Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:39 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times

Advertisements

Shizzles made a very profound post in my "Why so many angry people on CD" thread.....

Here is the post:

By Shizzles

"I think that we as a society are simply far too spoiled and sheltered to understand that life doesn't always revolve around ourselves. Someone posts something they disagree with and it's like commence the meltdown.

I don't like the extended adolescence culture the West has embraced. As a young adult, I looked forward to the supposed wisdom and maturity that would surround me as a member of the adult world. Now I look around and I feel like it's
8th grade all over again 24/7."

What do you think of the post?
I think it's spot on.

A great example is Black Friday. I am sure many of you read about the Wal-Mart(?) that closed for 2 hours because it got rowdy.

I'll bet those rowdy people were not 12 year olds.

Another example was just this morning I went to my neighborhood bakery and as usual it's always busy. When you walk in you have to grab a number, sorta like the soup line when you visit the Soup Nazi( for you Seinfeld fans)

I was standing in line and a young kid was standing in front of me, he turned to me and said "go ahead, you can go". I said thanks, as I was about to approach the counter, I noticed a young lady that was running in the store in a rush because she was double parked, I told her to go and place her order so she would not get a ticket.

Well, the lady behind me started pouting and sighing like a big baby. She started making grumbling noises and just acting like a big kid. She had to be in her 30's.

Those are just 2 examples.

How do we expect children to listen to us if we are acting like big damn babies?

Adults just don't act like adults. Adults of today seem much different from the way adults were when I was a kid( I'm 35).

What do you folks think of Shizzles observation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 11:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Oh goodie, a thread about a thread.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh goodie, a thread about a thread.
It's not about a thread.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:38 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
It is sad how so many adults in the US behave like children. Black Friday is but one example that illustrates this. This is evidenced in the increasing rudeness and foul language we see out in the open. This is evidenced by grown celebrities acting like children to grab attention, such as the Kaye West/Taylor Swift debacle at the MTV awards show. It is evidenced by the behavior of many motorists who rudely cut other drivers and pedestrians off, tail gate and display road rage when frustrated. It is evidenced at children sports games where parents are heckling and fighting other parents, team members, etc. I even recall working for one small company where my 46 yr old boss would literally throw temper tantrums when he is having a bad day!

What is up with all of this? What ever happened to class and civility in our society? Could it possibly be that parents are not doing their jobs in disciplining their children and are too busy trying to be their child's best friend? Is it because today's adults have grown up with the message that it is "all about me" and have lost all sense of compassion towards their fellow man/woman? Is it because our society encourages instant gratification so adults feel entitled because "they want it NOW"? Is it because of too much media influence where rebellion and non-conformity is pushed as "cool" and "hip"?

I think our society has lost its way and we, collectively, have to decide that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

BTW: Excellent thread topic Ron.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
It is sad how so many adults in the US behave like children. Black Friday is but one example that illustrates this. This is evidenced in the increasing rudeness and foul language we see out in the open. This is evidenced by grown celebrities acting like children to grab attention, such as the Kaye West/Taylor Swift debacle at the MTV awards show. It is evidenced by the behavior of many motorists who rudely cut other drivers and pedestrians off, tail gate and display road rage when frustrated. It is evidenced at children sports games where parents are heckling and fighting other parents, team members, etc. I even recall working for one small company where my 46 yr old boss would literally throw temper tantrums when he is having a bad day!

What is up with all of this? What ever happened to class and civility in our society? Could it possibly be that parents are not doing their jobs in disciplining their children and are too busy trying to be their child's best friend? Is it because today's adults have grown up with the message that it is "all about me" and have lost all sense of compassion towards their fellow man/woman? Is it because our society encourages instant gratification so adults feel entitled because "they want it NOW"? Is it because of too much media influence where rebellion and non-conformity is pushed as "cool" and "hip"?

I think our society has lost its way and we, collectively, have to decide that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

BTW: Excellent thread topic Ron.

you nailed it with this post but I really like the part in bold.

I tried to give you REPS but I need to spread the love.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Because with the push for individualism we've turned into selfish greedy "me, me, me" and NIMBY people. It's all about "what I can do for me and the heck with everyone else".

Eventually we'll hit rock bottom through apathy for what is happening outside of our small self centered circle. Then the changes will occur.

The roaring 20's was all about self-gratification..see where that ended up.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:55 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,865 times
I noticed that many people act like kids when they reply to my post. They get so angry that I dared post an opinion they disagreed with and then get angrier when nobody agrees with what they are saying. Take a look at my threat about the recent terrorism in Russia to see what I mean. Then again they might actually be kids.

Talking about the real world I am not sure why. My guess is that they were spoiled growing up and feel that the world revolves around them. When reality slaps them in the face they cry. I feel that the vast majority of the people are not like this. We just notice the few people who are because they create a big scene that draws attention to them. I have noticed people behaving like this all my life. Maybe it is normal, and happens everywhere.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:02 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,430,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Shizzles made a very profound post in my "Why so many angry people on CD" thread.....

Here is the post:

By Shizzles

"I think that we as a society are simply far too spoiled and sheltered to understand that life doesn't always revolve around ourselves. Someone posts something they disagree with and it's like commence the meltdown.

I don't like the extended adolescence culture the West has embraced. As a young adult, I looked forward to the supposed wisdom and maturity that would surround me as a member of the adult world. Now I look around and I feel like it's
8th grade all over again 24/7."

What do you think of the post?
I think it's spot on.

A great example is Black Friday. I am sure many of you read about the Wal-Mart(?) that closed for 2 hours because it got rowdy.

I'll bet those rowdy people were not 12 year olds.

Another example was just this morning I went to my neighborhood bakery and as usual it's always busy. When you walk in you have to grab a number, sorta like the soup line when you visit the Soup Nazi( for you Seinfeld fans)

I was standing in line and a young kid was standing in front of me, he turned to me and said "go ahead, you can go". I said thanks, as I was about to approach the counter, I noticed a young lady that was running in the store in a rush because she was double parked, I told her to go and place her order so she would not get a ticket.

Well, the lady behind me started pouting and sighing like a big baby. She started making grumbling noises and just acting like a big kid. She had to be in her 30's.

Those are just 2 examples.

How do we expect children to listen to us if we are acting like big damn babies?

Adults just don't act like adults. Adults of today seem much different from the way adults were when I was a kid( I'm 35).

What do you folks think of Shizzles observation?
I agree with that post. It's about time people started taking responsibility for themselves and not looking to the government to even out the playing field. It's about time people started realizing that they need to work hard for something they want, instead of waiting on someone to hand it to them. It's about time that people stop whining about someone more successful than them and worry about themselves.

It's about time the American public wakes up and understands that the only America worth living in is the one where the citizens work hard and control their own destiny. Not one where the government babies everyone, giving them JUST enough to rely on them for everything else.

It THAT what you meant by Americans needing to act like adults? Personal responsibility?

Old 11-28-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I agree with that post. It's about time people started taking responsibility for themselves and not looking to the government to even out the playing field. It's about time people started realizing that they need to work hard for something they want, instead of waiting on someone to hand it to them. It's about time that people stop whining about someone more successful than them and worry about themselves.

It's about time the American public wakes up and understands that the only America worth living in is the one where the citizens work hard and control their own destiny. Not one where the government babies everyone, giving them JUST enough to rely on them for everything else.

It THAT what you meant by Americans needing to act like adults? Personal responsibility?

oh boy...........

Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I noticed that many people act like kids when they reply to my post. They get so angry that I dared post an opinion they disagreed with and then get angrier when nobody agrees with what they are saying. Take a look at my threat about the recent terrorism in Russia to see what I mean. Then again they might actually be kids.

Talking about the real world I am not sure why. My guess is that they were spoiled growing up and feel that the world revolves around them. When reality slaps them in the face they cry. I feel that the vast majority of the people are not like this. We just notice the few people who are because they create a big scene that draws attention to them. I have noticed people behaving like this all my life. Maybe it is normal, and happens everywhere.
It's really funny to watch these folks on here get into a "food fight".

They get SERIOUS!!!

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies