Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
My company sucks because the economy has slowed down so tremendously that we have just enough work to avoid layoffs?

You must work for the government with your blatent ignorance to management and fiscal planning.
I work in federal management and fiscal planning.
You apparently don't.
Unless you're familiar with the subject you bring up, you might want to sit on your hands instead of looking ignorant of the facts and business management of the government.

Why are you trying to force a "for profit" model on a not-for-profit government entity.
We run by different rules.

The biggest problems in this economy are not from the government but from greed and the housing and banking industries.

Easier to blame, I suppose.

Last edited by chielgirl; 12-09-2009 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
YOU need to find another place to work when the recession is over.
Your company s*cks - either that or you simply do a lousy job.

Ken
I don't think this is necessarily true. Many places don't have money to give raises no matter how great you are at the job.

I don't work in the private sector but in education. I have had my pay cut 6% and the school system has not given raises or COLA's in at least 3 years. It may be longer than that. They say that our pay will be restored in September but I don't believe it. The city workers had their pay cut 5% and I haven't checked if and when that will be restored.

I understand that the pay for these employee's may lag WAY behind the private sector and that stinks. Giving raises right now is not the best plan. One of the pluses of being a Federal employee over the private sector is the good health insurance, vacation days, sick days, etc. I had none of that in the private sector.

My opinion on this seems vastly different from many of the other liberals on this topic. If a private sector job is doing well and wants to give a raise that is their business. It just seems to be very bad form to give a raise to anyone outside the private sector right now.

I read the links regarding the tax credit. Does anyone have a link handy that will show more details?

Old 12-09-2009, 02:18 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So a raise is now a stimulus for what they're going to do? Kind of like a Peace Prize for what you're going to do?

If you don't work for the government (which I don't believe for a moment), where do you work? A Union?
Nope - not a union either (and I don't really care WHAT you believe - why the h*ll should I - who are you? Just some anonymous nobody out on the internet)

It doesn't matter how the money gets out into the economy - well that's not QUITE true, some ways are more effecient than others - but essentially that makes a lot less difference than the fact that the money is GETTING out into the economy. The important thing is that SOMEONE starts spending - and when no one else is either able to do it (or too afraid to do it) then it's up to the Federal Government to do it. Once the economy starts recovering, the Federal Government can back out.

Ken

Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Private companies are "private", not tax payer funded organizations.

I am not seeing your link here.

Whether a private company gives a raise or not is irrelevant. We don't pay for their business, they are not required to answer to the people.

A government agency is funded by the people and so people being a bit irritated by them giving raises in a down economy while people are taking pay cuts, job losses, and the like in the "real world" (and I say that because in the real world a business that gives raises all around when they are doing poorly, goes out of business) is not being unreasonable. Only in government does this make sense or "add up".
Using your logic, the problems in private industry are not the government's fault therefore your comments should have nothing to do with the government.
Why do you want the government to make up for the "free market" industries that have made a shambles of the economy?

Where is the government doing poorly? Some examples would be great.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:34 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
Quote:
Cry me a river. Are federal employees the only ones that are doubling up because of a smaller work force?

I'm also carrying a heavier work load because of being short handed. Add to that the stress of a probably layoff after the first of the year. See? Private sector jobs aren't all bubblegum and lollipops. The difference is that my employer doesn't have an unlimited source of money to pull from.
Amen to that. Our workforce has been cut in half since January, PLUS we were asked to take a paycut in a reduction of hours. No pay raises next year regardless of merit or cost of living increases because we're already burning our overhead. We're just pulling together trying to ride out the storm and survive, as are, I imagine, many private sector companies.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:43 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,444 times
Quote:
Cry me a river. Are federal employees the only ones that are doubling up because of a smaller work force?

I'm also carrying a heavier work load because of being short handed. Add to that the stress of a probably layoff after the first of the year. See? Private sector jobs aren't all bubblegum and lollipops. The difference is that my employer doesn't have an unlimited source of money to pull from.
I'm not saying that Federal employees are the only ones that are doubling up because of smaller work force, that goes for the private sector also.
Federal Employees are mentioned in my post because their 2% pay increase is what's being discussed on this thread.

I do understand that there's also a noticeable double load put on private sectors & this is due to less help also.
For example, when you call for assistance with call center providers, you either have to hold for a long period of time or each representative has 5 or 6 lines that they have to handle.

The reason I mentioned this is because I also know someone who works for T Mobile & with their recent layoffs, the amount of calls that each customer service representative must handle has almost doubled.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:57 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You apparently don't.
Unless you're familiar with the subject you bring up, you might want to sit on your hands instead of looking ignorant of the facts and business management of the government.

Why are you trying to force a "for profit" model on a not-for-profit government entity.

The biggest problems in this economy are not from the government but from greed and the housing and banking industries.

you have to start at the top to fix the problem. the government did the bailouts, not the housing industry, not the banking industry.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:01 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You apparently don't.

You work in federal management, but don't work for the government? How's that possible?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you have to start at the top to fix the problem. the government did the bailouts, not the housing industry, not the banking industry.
What part of the failing housing and banking industries that required government bail-out don't you understand?
You guys are whining about your jobs and how you're losing them, yet don't expect the private industries to take any responsibility.
How many of you protect the CEOs robbing the industries blind?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:09 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Ah, yeah - right, all those "mental midgets" with their degrees and awards and years and years and years of experience.

Where did you get your PHD in economics from again? - a box of Crackerjack?
Oh yeah I forgot.

No they don't - GDP UP, Job losses DOWN, Stock Markets UP, Home prices stablizing.

Do we have a ways to go? Of course.
Is there more pain still coming? Of course.
Will things get better? OF COURSE.

Um - yeah they do. They make and send it out into the economy.
When folks like you and I try and make it - it's called counterfeiting.

Ken
Degrees and awards don't make you smart. They just mean you do well in school, and people that think like you give you awards. Never said I had a PhD - not sure where that's coming from.

The GDP was up one quarter - that's hardly a rally. Job losses are down SLIGHTLY for one month, but it's still at 10% - hardly prosperity. Stock prices have nothing to do with the economy. Home prices stabilizing because of the homebuyer credit - stabilizing isn't gain.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. You see things from a "government is the answer" mentality. I see things from a "we all need to take personal responsibility" mentality. One is the American way, the other the "red" way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies