Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:32 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,013,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That is no excuse to let loose during a faculty meeting and shooting your collegues. I don't care what were her motivations.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 08:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
I didn't say that was an excuse. I said that could be a reason.

Quote:
That is no excuse to let loose during a faculty meeting and shooting your collegues. I don't care what were her motivations.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I didn't say that was an excuse. I said that could be a reason.
One should not diminish the inexcusibility an unreasonable act of murder by attempting to assign "reason" to it.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Yes you should know the reason. In the future colleges should try not to do things that will potentially cause shootings. Doesn't that make sense?

Quote:
One should not diminish the inexcusibility an unreasonable act of murder by attempting to assign "reason" to it.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:29 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
How do we know she wasn't being sexually harassed????
You assume the people that were shot were saints and angels. And that she was some crazed serial killer freak. We don't know the whole story.
Odd this I have NEVER seen anyone attempt to justify a shooting spree on here before...for any reason. What the **** difference does it make what set her off? OK, maybe some Asian schoolkids egged Patrick Purdy's house and called him round eye? Come on Artsy, whats your rationale here? That this is OK cus the shooter was a woman who was possibly sexually harassed? Bottom line, she went nuts with a gun, so , yea, she's a freak. wow....now I've heard it all

Old 02-12-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Yes you should know the reason. In the future colleges should try not to do things that will potentially cause shootings. Doesn't that make sense?
Not as you are suggesting, no.

The details and motivations of the suspected murderess will come out in the investigation and in court. Preliminary speculation by those at the Univeristy seems pretty plausible as cause and it has NOTHING to do with sexual harrassment.

Bottom line, people sometimes do really evil things and there is no appeasement as you suggest, that will stop them. The violent acts that involve taking innocent lives are acts of pure selfishness. An individual bent on murder will murder. All the "reason" in the world will not stop them.

I realize that it is difficult for some people to accept such harsh truths about their fellow human beings. It is easier to try to "reason" such behavior away, making excuses, making accomodations, trying to understand "feelings". It is a meaningless exercise in futility.

Highly educated people are as equally capable of selfish and violent acts as any other members of society. Colleges and university are often havens for the borderline mentally disturbed who cannot do well out in the "real world" but instead seem to thrive in the safe and somewhat "sterile" environment of academia as their "eccentricities" are excused for intellectual genius.

I am not saying this is what happened with Dr. Bishop. The details and motivations will be sorted out soon enough. In the meantime, it diminishes the seriousness of her actions and the value of the live she chose to take by assigning "reason" to her "alleged" murders today.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:11 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,970 times
Now she will use all the dirty tricks to escape the needle..
PMS,
sexual harassment,
self defence,
possesed by KKK,
reverse racism ( is any of the victims black ?) ,
sexism,
low blood count,
being on a diet...

I hope Ala courts do not require unanimity for the Penalty...

I remember the murderer of a SF mayor & a SF Councilman who got ...5 years...

Old 02-13-2010, 10:19 AM

It may have been the denial of tenure. It may have been over the ownership of the mobile cell incubator. It may have been something else. It really doesn't matter to those whose lives she chose to end nor to their families.

In the end, nothing excuses the murder of 3 collegues during a faculty meeting. No reasons can justify her actions away. If she ever sees daylight again it will be only be in custody or in the yard, dressed in an orange jumpsuit and shackles with miles of barbed fencing between her and the rest of the world.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:28 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Quote:
The above is probably one of the dumbest things written here on these boards. How is a reasonable person expected to know what little things may set off an unstable person to start shooting? What is the final straw that sets off the mental instability to the point that shooting people is the outcome? Many people have been bullied and tormented in one way or another in school or work. Reasonable people find ways to deal with the situation that doesn't involve murder or suicide. Each person's breaking point is different depending on his or her mental state and enviroment at home, work, and or school. Being denied tenure is no excuse for murder. Creating something as an employee of a university and using university property means your invention is now university property. My dad designed and built a tool to use on some oil rig machinery. Because he used the company computer and materials to design and build the tool, the tool patent belonged to the company. It's a legal fact of life. Had he done this at home (this was before home computers had the power to do such things) and on his own time, he'd have the patent for the tool. I have to wonder about someone who seems to feel this professor's act of murder is somewhat justified by the actions of her victims in a situation that does not include self defense.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:30 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The above is probably one of the dumbest things written here on these boards. How is a reasonable person expected to know what little things may set off an unstable person to start shooting? What is the final straw that sets off the mental instability to the point that shooting people is the outcome? Many people have been bullied and tormented in one way or another in school or work. Reasonable people find ways to deal with the situation that doesn't involve murder or suicide. Each person's breaking point is different depending on his or her mental state and enviroment at home, work, and or school. Being denied tenure is no excuse for murder. Creating something as an employee of a university and using university property means your invention is now university property. My dad designed and built a tool to use on some oil rig machinery. Because he used the company computer and materials to design and build the tool, the tool patent belonged to the company. It's a legal fact of life. Had he done this at home (this was before home computers had the power to do such things) and on his own time, he'd have the patent for the tool. I have to wonder about someone who seems to feel this professor's act of murder is somewhat justified by the actions of her victims in a situation that does not include self defense.
There is a glitch in the hierarchal order that works this way: A lower employee has excellent technical skill, but had to sacrifice people-skill development to achieve it. The lower employee makes a major contribution. A higher employee has people skills (a manipulator). The higher employee takes the credit for the lower employee's contribution, and is rewarded. The lower employee receives a pat on the head.

Extreme resentment happens.

Last edited by ergohead; 02-13-2010 at 01:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies