Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 04:59 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You just asked if people should ever be forced against their beliefs. And I'm telling you that the answer under certain conditions is clearly "yes". Your right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness is not supposed to come at the expense of someone else's right.
But the point has been made.

If someone isn't hurting anyone physically, should the federal government be allowed to step in and force them to do something?

If a bar owner wants to allow smoking, he should be allowed to. No one is forcing non smokers into the bar. If you have a problem with smoking, don't go. If I smoke pot in my house, that should be allowed, because the federal government should have no say what I do on my own property, because I'm not hurting anyone.

Most people support that kind of personal freedom, yet, those rights have been taken away. On the opposite side of the same coin, private business owners should be allowed to segregate, if they so choose.

I think discrimination is disgusting, and I wouldn't support a business that does that.

If a bar owner wants to not allow black Americans into their establishment, fine, but I'll open a bar up across the street, that accepts everyone, and guess who is going to do more business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 05:13 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,567 times
Strange, it seems some would be happy to see a situation like happened in 1945 in the USA where Nazi POWs and some guards, both groups white, were served in a restaurant.
They had a fine old time, while the black American soldiers had to sit outside, unfeed.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:47 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why ARE so many leftists concerned about a politician in Kentucky...

Hmmm.....
You may not have noticed this, but Rand Paul is running for a seat in the United States Senate.

If you are unaware of this fact, the United States Senate is one of the two bodies of the United States Congress. It is the bicameral legislature that governs the entire United States of America, where most of us live.

As a consequence, the actions taken by the United States Senate affect all Americans, not just the residents of the state that a particular senator represents.

Stop back if you need another lesson in the basic structure of the United States government.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What about all the businesses now that require Spanish language fluency and most definitely give preference to native speakers of Spanish? Many will justify discrimination in that case, even though it's discrimination.
Discrimination? It's discrimination to expect a potential employee to be able to communicate with a substantial portion of the customers of a business?

You conservatives have a bizarre idea of what constitutes discrimination.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I am playing Evony...

Good night and don't worry,Rand Paul is going to win...
Given the longstanding electoral success of such racists as George Wallace, Strom Thurmond, and Trent Lott, I wouldn't be surprised if you were correct.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Maybe one should make a difference between aspects one cannot change (skin color etc.) and those one can change (e.g. language and other skills).

Old 05-21-2010, 06:55 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,983,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
For a while now there have been murmurings about the tea party being representative of primarily caucasians. Everyone denied it, shouted and screamed that it wasn't true. And now we have people equating "personal liberties" with unadulterated racism. I guess the criticisms were accurate all along. Call it what you want, I'll call it justification of racism. It's really sad that people in the tea party are not apalled by this, but I am.
I agree with you Zchick.

Our political enviroment is totally toxic right now. You have a canidate like Rand bringing up old laws that he disagrees with. It's almost as if he wants to rally to change the law. Later when ask by Wolf Blitzer would he have voted Yay or Nay if he had to vote for that law in 1964 ( add a 3 second delay)...Yes I would of voted for it!

What a liar!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:00 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You just asked if people should ever be forced against their beliefs. And I'm telling you that the answer under certain conditions is clearly "yes". Your right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness is not supposed to come at the expense of someone else's right.
So you agree it is wrong to force a private business owner to not be able to discriminate?

Old 05-21-2010, 07:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Strange, it seems some would be happy to see a situation like happened in 1945 in the USA where Nazi POWs and some guards, both groups white, were served in a restaurant.
They had a fine old time, while the black American soldiers had to sit outside, unfeed.

That happened all the time. Not just once or twice. It was general practice. And people wonder why I say I would not have served in WWII.............

Old 05-21-2010, 07:01 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Given the longstanding electoral success of such racists as George Wallace, Strom Thurmond, and Trent Lott, I wouldn't be surprised if you were correct.
Don't forget Robert Byrd...

Oops nevermind THAT former member of the KKK belongs to YOUR party...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies