Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 08:59 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
One question...do you support the 1964 Civil Rights Act or not?

Clearly Paul does as he said that he has no interest in repealing it. The question was a setup by Rachel Maddow because Paul firmly believes that this country needs less government including business. If you or anyone else started a business, then we should have the right to hire whoever we want for whatever reason we want. If I don't want to hire any minorities, I should have that right. Just as minorities then have the right to not use the services I provide. I would then say that businesses that practice this type of behavior should be afforded no benefits (tax breaks, subsidies)from the government.

See, we actually do live in a free country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:59 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Yes,they an employer should be free to do whatever he wants in regards to pay,the potential employee has the freedom to not accept.

I would think a person who is a greater risk(cost) should pay more than someone who is not...

No,that would be physical contact and assault.

No,that would be extortion.

Yes you would,you are free to go elsewhere for employment,it is illegal to assault another,it is illegal to attempt to extort something from another...

If he so chooses.
Yes, a pat on the butt is an assault and demanding sex in exchange for work is extortion.

If a woman reported it to the police what do you think would happen? I'll tell you. She would be fired immediately, with no recourse. Do you think the employer would be prosecuted? Maybe. If so, would the woman be able to feed her family while she's unemployed?

You talk about people switching job as if all you had to do was walk out the door and into another job. It's not that easy--this economy has shown that.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
But - maybe I'd be fine with that. No more black or Asian or hispanic clubs and groups, fraternities, sororities. No more all hispanic businesses, no more all-Chinese employee restaurants. I guess I could go along with the elimination of all discrimination - especially since discrimination today seems against Americans if anything.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,433,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yes and what I read he does too. I think the real question is why is the left so nervous? Are they so weak they can't beat someone they consider a whack job?

Rand Paul: OK, Civil Rights Act Can Stay - He also blames the 'loony left' for distorting his views
In that link Paul just says he wouldn't vote to repeal it...that of course comes only after the uproar that has ensued since Rachel outed him.

However, he has steadfastly refused to say whether he would have supported the original Civil Rights Act. Much like his father who has stated in the past he would not have voted for it..

Rand Paul won't answer Civil Rights Act question - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Imagine if there were scholarships to college based upon race,THAT would certainly be discriminatory....

Right?

Old 05-21-2010, 09:04 AM

Or if there were something like the Congressional Black Caucus that refused entry to others...THAT would be discriminatory...

Right?

Old 05-21-2010, 09:04 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,433,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But - maybe I'd be fine with that. No more black or Asian or hispanic clubs and groups, fraternities, sororities. No more all hispanic businesses, no more all-Chinese employee restaurants. I guess I could go along with the elimination of all discrimination - especially since discrimination today seems against Americans if anything.
What is that supposed to mean?

"Americans"= white people?

Old 05-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Yes, a pat on the butt is an assault and demanding sex in exchange for work is extortion.
We agree.

Quote:
If a woman reported it to the police what do you think would happen? I'll tell you. She would be fired immediately, with no recourse.
Your proof of this is???
Quote:
Do you think the employer would be prosecuted?
If she had proof, yes.

Quote:
If so, would the woman be able to feed her family while she's unemployed?
Why would she want to work there anymore?

Quote:
You talk about people switching job as if all you had to do was walk out the door and into another job. It's not that easy--this economy has shown that.
True,but taking away another persons rights is not the answer.

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
I also think people aren't really all that comfortable with true Libertarians principles. Not when you get down to the reality of Libertarianism.

683 posts, read 429,035 times
Anyone that liberals dislike and fear this much has my FULL support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies