Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 05:44 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Why don't you provide me with a few examples of threads in this forum that haven't gone what you call "off topic?" Or do only squawk about them when they go "off topic" in a direction that you don't happen to like?

It's just a part of posting on message boards; discussions takes twists and turns. The overall topic hasn't strayed too far here.

The OP posted this; that's what I was responding to.

Seems to me he did mention that.
So your posts are just your opinions and the others are just squawking? I am talking about the OP's first post. It was only when the whole laptop thing came up that he responded about it.
I've said all I'm going to say, so feel free to have the last word so you can "win". Putting you on "ignore" now.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
So your posts are just your opinions and the others are just squawking? I am talking about he OP first post. It was only when the whole laptop thing came up that he responded about it.
I've said all I'm going to say, so feel free to have the last word so you can "win". Putting you on "ignore" now.
Please do. I'm getting fed up with the few regulars in this forum who think they can bully others for refusing to jump on their bandwagons. And yes, when you're trying to get personal and insulting just because someone posted an innocuous opinion about the subject at hand, that's squawking. Trying to call normal conversational drift "off-topic" is just a passive-aggressive attempt to control a discussion that's gone in a direction that you don't like.

OP, I hope that you find some kind of job that you can do and a good place to live.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:12 PM

135 posts, read 222,367 times
Quote:
Please do. I'm getting fed up with the few regulars in this forum who think they can bully others for refusing to jump on their bandwagons. And yes, when you're trying to get personal and insulting just because someone posted an innocuous opinion about the subject at hand, that's squawking. Trying to call normal conversational drift "off-topic" is just a passive-aggressive attempt to control a discussion that's gone in a direction that you don't like.

OP, I hope that you find some kind of job that you can do and a good place to live.
Thank you.. As the only person posting on this board who seems to have a better understanding of the homeless plight, kudos to you.. Yes, I'm aware that sleeping in the forest is frowned upon, however, I find the idea LESS risky then sleeping on a sidewalk in plain sight for everyone to see! Wouldn't everyone RATHER have the homeless poor sleeping out of sight then on your streets? Seems logical to me.. And forest park is over 5000 acres, I find it impossible that the police(actually rangers from what I've been reading) can do walk-throughs at 2am in the morning LOOKING for homeless unfortunates trying to rest in peace! They'd realistically have to have an entire ARMY to even try covering that much territory! NOT FEASIBLE.. I can see then responding to reports and complaints, but if someone AVOIDS people and doesn't leave signs, and leaves before dawn, I don't see how they even could be caught! Its just too much land!

Old 06-08-2013, 07:09 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Quote:

This is what I'm fed up with. Please, quit feeding the trolling and go back to thinking about helping the homeless who are actually trying to get out of their situation by finding a job ... not just moving to another city where they think the weather will better suit their homelessness.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
This is what I'm fed up with. Please, quit feeding the trolling and go back to thinking about helping the homeless who are actually trying to get out of their situation by finding a job ... not just moving to another city where they think the weather will better suit their homelessness.
I'm sorry, but you don't get to decide who I engage with on this forum. If this thread bothers you so much, I don't understand why you keep coming back to it. I have as much right to post in this thread as you do in the threads that interest you.

I don't happen to believe that someone is less worthy simply because they are mentally/emotionally incapable of finding/holding down a job. I'm suspecting that mental illness is significant factor in this person's life; that's why I won't be joining you and Minervah while you look down your nose at him. The sad truth is is that there are a lot of people out there who are never going to be what you want them to be, and I see little point in poking sticks at the mentally ill, particularly cyber sticks from behind a monitor. I sincerely hope that this guy is playing you all because I wouldn't wish his way of life on anyone, but that probably isn't the case.

Nonetheless, it's a relocation forum, and the OP had as much right to post his question as someone with a few million bucks to spend on a home.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-08-2013 at 08:03 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 08:01 PM

135 posts, read 222,367 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but you don't get to decide who I engage with on this forum. If this thread bothers you so much, I don't understand why you keep coming back to it. I have as much right to post in this thread as you do in the threads that interest you.

I don't happen to believe that someone is less worthy simply because they are mentally/emotionally incapable of finding/holding down a job. I'm suspecting that mental illness is significant factor in this person's life; that's why I won't be joining you and Minervah while you look down your nose at him. The sad truth is is that there are a lot of people out there who are never going to be what you want them to be.

Nonetheless, it's a relocation forum, and the OP had as much right to post his question as someone with a few million bucks to spend on a home.
Hear hear! Last time I checked, this WAS America, and the poor have a right to relocate anywhere they darned well please, money or NO money! Really, would YOU wish to live homeless in a burning desert where the term is usually hot enough to melt your shoes underneath you? If I'm going to be homeless ANYWAY, its better in a cooler and rainier environment then here, I assure you.. I guess its hard to grasp huh?

Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
Hear hear! Last time I checked, this WAS America, and the poor have a right to relocate anywhere they darned well please, money or NO money! Really, would YOU wish to live homeless in a burning desert where the term is usually hot enough to melt your shoes underneath you? If I'm going to be homeless ANYWAY, its better in a cooler and rainier environment then here, I assure you.. I guess its hard to grasp huh?
That's true, but don't take what I'm saying as encouragement to move to Forest Park; I think that's a bad plan. I think you should start taking steps to get out of this way of life altogether.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:32 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,341,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Never said they didn't but most of them don't go ranting on Internet forums in the guise of asking "innocent" questions to which they more than likely already know they answers they will receive.

I am still blown away by the number of homeless with Cell phones and internet.

I do think this thread as run it's course and become one more long argument with little to offer a relocation forum.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:57 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,764 times
Homelessadvocate meet Metlakatla. Metlakatla meet Homelessadvocate. Housing problem solved!

Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
Homelessadvocate meet Metlakatla. Metlakatla meet Homelessadvocate. Housing problem solved!
Why are you trolling this thread? Can't stand the thought that someone here refuses to join in with the rest of you on bashing this guy?

Oh, that's right, you were the one who was so terribly offended by the thought of a homeless person having a mini laptop. I guess you'd rather they didn't have access to effective job-search tools or the means to keep in contact with their families.

I can't believe all this pure BS arose because I typed that I'd choose a mini laptop over any other possessions if I were about to become homeless. What would you choose, a sackcloth and ashes?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-08-2013 at 09:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland