Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 12:20 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,898 times

Advertisements

I will add, from having a friend in management at TJs, that they have a very low turnover, even in good markets and good economic conditions. This speaks volumes.

Another article on Joe:

Joe Coulombe | Patt Morrison Asks: Trader Joe's founder Joe Coulombe - Los Angeles Times

The interview fits in with what everyone who knows Joe has said about him over the years. I dated a lady who treated his son, and she got to know Joe, and really spoke well of him.

In this day and age, I almost feel guilty waving the flag for a big company, but fair is fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 05:13 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,876,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everafter View Post
Trader Joe's refers to their management as "full-time" and all other employees as "part-time".
Most of the positions are P/T, the pay scale will be around $8-$10 per hour for those people.

The very few & very demanding F/T management positions will work at least 48 hours a week. As a supervisor you work a descending schedule starting with nights (usually 1pm-11pm) for two nights, the turn-around (usually 7am-5pm) for one day, then super early mornings starting at 4am for your remaining two work days.

I spoke to one such manager and he said that it makes for a horrible life schedule, especially if you have a family, because he was tired all the time and all he wanted to do was sleep outside of work. Rotating shifts are THE WORST shift work a person can do for their health. When I was younger I worked rotating shifts, it caused a slew of medical issues.

Plus the TJ manager I spoke to stated that it is VERY, VERY difficult to get promoted to their "novitiate" or entry level supervisor. The company has become very corporate and promotions are not like they use to be. In other words, the company has gotten really big and is just another "box store".

Trader Joe's is viewed as being a great "college job" not a career job. Unless you are upper management, which only constitutes only a few people, TJ's is no more of a career job than a cashier at Burger King.

While it may only add a handful "career" positions to the Prescott job market, it is not what this town needs in order to turn around. I would take the plane manufacturing plant which would offer 250 career jobs over TJs.

Last edited by DellNec; 07-08-2011 at 05:34 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 01:08 PM

13,252 posts, read 21,874,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esenjay View Post
Your whole post is based on second-hand information/speculation and contains irrelevant medical information. Neat.
Bingo. In my experience, TJ employees are extremely helpful and friendly. You do NOT get that by treating your employees poorly.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:32 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
Most of the positions are P/T, the pay scale will be around $8-$10 per hour for those people.

The very few & very demanding F/T management positions will work at least 48 hours a week. As a supervisor you work a descending schedule starting with nights (usually 1pm-11pm) for two nights, the turn-around (usually 7am-5pm) for one day, then super early mornings starting at 4am for your remaining two work days.

I spoke to one such manager and he said that it makes for a horrible life schedule, especially if you have a family, because he was tired all the time and all he wanted to do was sleep outside of work. Rotating shifts are THE WORST shift work a person can do for their health. When I was younger I worked rotating shifts, it caused a slew of medical issues.

Plus the TJ manager I spoke to stated that it is VERY, VERY difficult to get promoted to their "novitiate" or entry level supervisor. The company has become very corporate and promotions are not like they use to be. In other words, the company has gotten really big and is just another "box store".

Trader Joe's is viewed as being a great "college job" not a career job. Unless you are upper management, which only constitutes only a few people, TJ's is no more of a career job than a cashier at Burger King.

While it may only add a handful "career" positions to the Prescott job market, it is not what this town needs in order to turn around. I would take the plane manufacturing plant which would offer 250 career jobs over TJs.

I don't think you have any idea what an entry level job pays in a "manufacturing plant" as you put it. Most of these plants are set up so they don't require skilled labor. Just the facts of life.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:35 AM

Prescott Council candidates differ on on Trader Joe's deal - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

Looks like the Trader Joe controversy has Prescott City Council member candidates split & arguing about whether or not the deal was a good idea.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:04 AM

But does it matter now?
The deal is signed and done.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
But does it matter now?
The deal is signed and done.
It is more for the future deals the city would be involved in. Also, if the TJ's deal goes south, and the city loses money, the candidates who would then be the new council members could claim they disagreed with the TJ deal from the beginning.

I hope they do something different with that intersection because it will become a disaster zone once TJ opens.

Candidate Deborah Thurston shares the same feelings I have, she stated:

"I don't not support them. I simply feel our focus needs to be broader than that. That isn't going to attract jobs that we need to support families. Also, I do have concerns for 'mom and pop' businesses. On the Trader Joe's deal, "Absolutely not. I believe it was a violation of the Arizona gift clause." (see above link in post #105)

I kept saying that also. TJ is not going to bring jobs that will support families. Besides the main manager, the rest of the jobs will be P/T while going to college jobs, in other words low income pay levels. A college student might be able to live off the income while living at home but not a family trying to survive. I also believe that the city SHOULD NOT be playing bank and loaning our tax payer money.

Last edited by DellNec; 07-24-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 01:51 PM

No if you don't go there it won't.
Never been in one yet, but I may visit after the new wears off just to see why it's so popular.
Then again, I have never been into trends.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:28 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post

Candidate Deborah Thurston shares the same feelings I have, she stated:

"I don't not support them. I simply feel our focus needs to be broader than that. That isn't going to attract jobs that we need to support families. Also, I do have concerns for 'mom and pop' businesses.
Has she spoken out on the "mom and pop" issue before? Or is she just buttering her bread on the TJ issue?

Every big store threatens a little store. Even K mart took business away from Kresge, owned by the same company. This has been going on since the late '50s. TJ will hurt some chain outlets, but the stuff we presently buy from mom and pops will still be bought from the mom and pops.

Patronizing small retailers becomes difficult when their prices are significantly higher, (often double) what a big box store charges. And they don't have good benefit packages for their employees, either.

We could also go back to the '50s and see the chain supermarkets did in the local grocer.

I am not making the case for small retailers vs large, here. Just saying the small businesses seem to be on a downhill slide, and have been for quite a while.

Last edited by wretched wrench; 07-24-2011 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 03:06 PM

509 posts, read 1,700,959 times
what is the big squak about if the jobs are full time or part time ? we have a dearth of eager youths or people who prefer to work part time . one does not need to be with an IQ of a rocket scientist to apply there . if they apply and are happy working there then that is all that counts . i would be the last person on earth to condemn them for working there . at least they won't be feeding at the publics dole .
let them work and be happy . don;t pp on their parade .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott