Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 09:50 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,875,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
And I see the company decided on CO. I hear in the last 10 years or so that many communities in CO have made some really good deals tax concession wise to companies that want to locate there.
Maybe it was a matter of not being able to compete with the CO incentives. You just don't know.
The city gave TJ's millions of $$$ in incentives. You are telling me that they couldn't throw a bone to this plane manufacturing company that would have brought 300 jobs to the area? Many of those would be high-paying career jobs.

I do know this. The city is NOT concerned about the ability of its residents to make a living. Here is why:

Deep inside the town officials know that the wealthy residents don't need to have a job. They cater to the wealthy residents. To a wealthy resident a TJ's is far more appealing than a plane manufacturing plant. They can get their bottle of wine at TJ's while the plane plant does nothing for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 12:57 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,761 times
My own take is that many municipalities would rather have increased sales tax revenue than more jobs. This is not unique to Prescott.

The benefit of increased sales tax revenue is immediate and obvious. The benefit of more jobs is more far-reaching, hence more difficult to understand for someone who cannot see beyond the next campaign contribution and/or election.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:56 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,930,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
The city gave TJ's millions of $$$ in incentives. You are telling me that they couldn't throw a bone to this plane manufacturing company that would have brought 300 jobs to the area? Many of those would be high-paying career jobs.

I do know this. The city is NOT concerned about the ability of its residents to make a living. Here is why:

Deep inside the town officials know that the wealthy residents don't need to have a job. They cater to the wealthy residents. To a wealthy resident a TJ's is far more appealing than a plane manufacturing plant. They can get their bottle of wine at TJ's while the plane plant does nothing for them.
Did I miss something? The last time I looked, the only thing that Prescott did was buy some land for $2.2M and is leasing it back to the developer at a 6% interest rate. How exactly is that "millions of $$$ in incentives?" That sounds more like an interest only loan to me.

Further, how do you know what Prescott offered or did not offer the 'Extra' airline company? The article that you posted does not go into any detail about the negotiations. In fact, it doesn't even say that Prescott is out of the running. For all we know, an article could come out tomorrow stating that 'Extra' has decided to relocate to Prescott.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,709,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post

I will assume that you have inside personal knowledge of the negotiations, if any, that took place between the city and the plane company?
And those millions of dollars in incentives just aren't there as already point out.
Wrong again.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
Did I miss something?.....
Further, how do you know what Prescott offered or did not offer the 'Extra' airline company?
Did I miss something? What is the "Extra" airline company?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:11 PM

Post number 89, he showed a linked to the article in the paper that named the Extra Aircraft Company in it.
I guess you miss the link with all the other fun going on.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Post number 89, he showed a linked to the article in the paper that named the Extra Aircraft Company in it.
I guess you miss the link with all the other fun going on.
OK, Extra is an aircraft company. I read the article, but saw no mention of airline. When you wrote AIRLINE, I didn't know where that came from.

Not trying to nit pick here. The word airline got my attention, because, as a frequent flyer, I am always interested in more airline connections from here.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,875,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
Did I miss something? The last time I looked, the only thing that Prescott did was buy some land for $2.2M and is leasing it back to the developer at a 6% interest rate. How exactly is that "millions of $$$ in incentives?" That sounds more like an interest only loan to me.

Further, how do you know what Prescott offered or did not offer the 'Extra' airline company? The article that you posted does not go into any detail about the negotiations. In fact, it doesn't even say that Prescott is out of the running. For all we know, an article could come out tomorrow stating that 'Extra' has decided to relocate to Prescott.
The city did NOT offer any incentives to the 'Extra' airline company like they did with TJ's.

Also, what is the city of Prescott doing in the banking & loan industry? The city officials lending money to a private investor. Whose $$$ was it that they "loaned"? Let me give you a hint, it's our tax money.

Are you telling me that TJ's could not get a conventional commercial loan through a bank? Gimme a break. Get real.

Letter: Give us revenues, not projections at TJ's - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

Column: Lots of questions about TJ's deal - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

Old 07-07-2011, 04:22 PM

The city did NOT offer any incentives to the 'Extra' airline company like they did with TJ's.

Prove it if you know so much about the ciy's dealings.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:37 AM

131 posts, read 211,982 times
I would like to clarify a couple of things.

Trader Joe's, itself, did not receive any incentive. The local papers refer to it as the "Trader Joe's incentive" which is erroneous and entirely misleading. The incentive was negotiated between the city and a private developer who is "to put up its buildings" (more than just the one for Trader Joe's). Friday Catchall: City would recoup Trader Joe's incentive - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

Trader Joe's refers to their management as "full-time" and all other employees as "part-time". This is not "part-time temporary" as some other poster falsely elaborated. Part-timers at TJ's work up to 40 hours per week, and it can indeed be a career position. All part-timers who work more than 20 hours per week are eligible for health plan benefits for themselves and their entire families. Also, the company has performance reviews twice a year, so pay raises come into effect twice a year.

In addition to the employees' pay, Trader Joe's annually contributes 15.4% of employees' gross income to their tax-deferred retirement account. Inside the secret world of Trader Joe's - Aug. 23, 2010

If you would like to understand in further detail why Trader Joe's is one of the best companies to work for, check out this article: Fostering a Loyal Workforce at Trader Joe's | workforce.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott