Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 05:06 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The quarterbacks who played part or all of their careers before 1966, like Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, Norm Van Brocklin, Otto Graham, Bobby Layne, Sammy Baugh, and Sid Luckman, would like to thank you for considering them irrelevant.

(Yeah, I know Starr is listed, but his teams won FIVE NFL titles, three of which were played before there was a Super Bowl. I think Starr and his Packers teammates still celebrated those non-Super Bowl NFL championship game wins.)
Christ, thank you! Most of these posts aren't even worth reading!

This reminds of a time I briefly talked to a smart looking women who was older than I at Nordstrom, and this women thought the only Thomas Crown Affair movie was with Pierce Brosnan, and Rene Russo.

It just amazes me how people get on these sites and post the stuff they post.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 05:17 PM

962 posts, read 612,180 times
Marino is the best QB ever.

The other 4, in alphabetical order: Brady, Elway, Manning, Montana.

None of the 70's QBs make the list. I did not consider any QBs pre-1970s, since I didn't see them play.

Nice thread OP.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:01 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Something to keep in mind here, this thread is over eight years old. Solid post by CHIP72, on point as always!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-21-2020 at 11:23 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 07:54 AM

According to the above poster they can't be good because he didn't see them play........

The lack of knowledge in this thread is amazing.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Something to keep in mind here, this thread is over eight years old. Solid post by CHIP72, on point as always!
It's an excellent post H.

Here is the thing. Did any QB from the era they played in lead the league multiple times in TD's, Yards, Rating......that should be the bell weather because it compares them to their pears in the era they played in.

Discounting the duress, and abuse guys like Unitas took on a regular basis is absurd.

And considering that until 1960 it was a 12 game season, and 14 until 76' how would a guy like Unitas numbers look?

I can't believe people are leaving Favre of this list. Unitas, and Favre were very similar in playing style.
(I really wished I asked Mr. Unitas about this but never thought about it because I didn't have the ability to compare the two except from memory which for me at the time wasn't good)

Hint, guys were fast in the 50's, and 60's. Hint Dick Lane could still knock your brains out even if he played in a primitive defense!

Again, the lack of historical context in this thread is amazing. But not surprising.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:16 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,613,373 times
Again, the lack of historical context in this thread is amazing. But not surprising

Unfortunately, this is where we are with sports history, other history, and it is a shame. For the NFL, younger fans the only thing that counts is SB wins, Madden and fantasy football!

Yes, games were played with fewer teams, different situation, but those players still had talent. All eras of football, and other sports, too, need to be in the conversation.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Again, the lack of historical context in this thread is amazing. But not surprising

Unfortunately, this is where we are with sports history, other history, and it is a shame. For the NFL, younger fans the only thing that counts is SB wins, Madden and fantasy football!

Yes, games were played with fewer teams, different situation, but those players still had talent. All eras of football, and other sports, too, need to be in the conversation.
And I am in my fifties, and barely remember Unitas playing. I grew up in the area where he lived and saw him frequently.

People are not doing their homework as usual, and it astounds me people in their 50's, 60's and older can be this clueless.

I may have said this in another thread, or this one, but just think, Ted Williams never played in a world series , spent three years in WW II, and two years in Korea. Could Williams have hit 700 Home Runs if not serving in the armed forces? And was he any good because championships are all that matters and was never involved with one? (Sarcasm)

Old 03-22-2020, 11:31 AM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
And I am in my fifties, and barely remember Unitas playing. I grew up in the area where he lived and saw him frequently.
I went to one Bronco game in 1973 when the Chargers came into town in early November (?). It was sad that Unitas was on the bench and Dan Fouts as well, because of injuries. Third string Charger qb Wayne Clark played. It was only a couple weeks previous that #19 got wracked with bruised ribs (can't remember who the Chargers played.)

The one time that he DID play I'll always remember, even though it was an exhibition game. The Colts had trained with the Broncos for a couple days and had their game at Mile High on Saturday. Coach McCaffery kept the starters in for nearly three quarters. 1971 was a different time in more ways than one. But it was not surprising to me that during the pregame introductions that the Colts got a lot of cheers from the sold out crowd when Tom Matte, John Mackey, Bill Curry, Willie Richardson and others were introduced. Unitas got a 15 second standing ovation. And there is good reason for it.

Unitas in his time was the most popular player in the NFL and the most respected not only by his teammates but also the opposition. One thing that rarely gets a mention is the years in the late 1960's how the NFL before the merger realigned into 4 divisions instead of just 2; Capitol, Century, Coastal, and Central. Baltimore was put in with the Rams, 49ers, and the Falcons. You could wonder why you have two clubs a few thousand miles away from the other two, but Pete Rozelle was busy regarding getting the NFL to be the top spectator sport in America. By televising the Colts to Pacific time was a boost for the leagues image.

In the early to mid 60's the 49ers and Rams had ho hum years at best but you put the Colts in there and the tv exposure changes. Unitas at that time was the face of the National Football League. CBS had the Colts as the second half of a doubleheader at 2 p.m. PST. And there were a fair amount of games where the Colts played their home games at 3 p.m. or 4 p.m. And then of course was the 1958 NFL Championship game that went to overtime. Green Bay and Baltimore were number one and two regarding the most successful franchises in the league at that time, their record shows it.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-22-2020 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-23-2020, 06:15 AM

3,729 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Here is the thing. Did any QB from the era they played in lead the league multiple times in TD's, Yards, Rating......that should be the bell weather because it compares them to their pears in the era they played in.

I can't believe people are leaving Favre of this list.
Again, the lack of historical context in this thread is amazing. But not surprising.
68, There's been historical context thru this thread. I have Baugh on my list. Several of us have listed Otto Graham. I list Graham for the reason u cite.. he dominated his era.. I think between his two professional leagues he won 7 championships. I also agree with one of your (if I remember right) posts, that Tarkenton is underrated by modern fans. He retired with a list of passing records. He is in my top 10, but not 5.
I don't remember seeing your top 5, only your criticism of other peoples lists.. give it to me (in case I overlooked it)?

Old 03-23-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I went to one Bronco game in 1973 when the Chargers came into town in early November (?). It was sad that Unitas was on the bench and Dan Fouts as well, because of injuries. Third string Charger qb Wayne Clark played. It was only a couple weeks previous that #19 got wracked with bruised ribs (can't remember who the Chargers played.)

The one time that he DID play I'll always remember, even though it was an exhibition game. The Colts had trained with the Broncos for a couple days and had their game at Mile High on Saturday. Coach McCaffery kept the starters in for nearly three quarters. 1971 was a different time in more ways than one. But it was not surprising to me that during the pregame introductions that the Colts got a lot of cheers from the sold out crowd when Tom Matte, John Mackey, Bill Curry, Willie Richardson and others were introduced. Unitas got a 15 second standing ovation. And there is good reason for it.

Unitas in his time was the most popular player in the NFL and the most respected not only by his teammates but also the opposition. One thing that rarely gets a mention is the years in the late 1960's how the NFL before the merger realigned into 4 divisions instead of just 2; Capitol, Century, Coastal, and Central. Baltimore was put in with the Rams, 49ers, and the Falcons. You could wonder why you have two clubs a few thousand miles away from the other two, but Pete Rozelle was busy regarding getting the NFL to be the top spectator sport in America. By televising the Colts to Pacific time was a boost for the leagues image.

In the early to mid 60's the 49ers and Rams had ho hum years at best but you put the Colts in there and the tv exposure changes. Unitas at that time was the face of the National Football League. CBS had the Colts as the second half of a doubleheader at 2 p.m. PST. And there were a fair amount of games where the Colts played their home games at 3 p.m. or 4 p.m. And then of course was the 1958 NFL Championship game that went to overtime. Green Bay and Baltimore were number one and two regarding the most successful franchises in the league at that time, their record shows it.
Great post, I knew all this, but yeah, great stuff.

Imagine a modern QB going into a hostile environment and getting so much fan respect.

This is a skewed comment do to my location, but the only sports player I ever saw get a lot of positive fan recognition in an opposing stadiums was Cal Ripken. (I have always been amazed at the lack of his gold gloves, some of which is pure nonsense) Sorry, off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football