Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 10:07 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
No one wants to believe or even consider this. This is the Patriots we're talking about. It just has to be cheating - a deliberate intent to undermine the integrity of the game and to gain unfair advantage on the rest of the NFL. Belicheat and Shady are at the helm.

Look at some of the facts - the Patriots fumble at such a low rate, it has to be soft footballs and nothing to do with coaching. 9 AFC Championships in 14 years - no team can be that good without gaining an edge somewhere. And there's always Spy Gate to hang a hat on.

BURN 'EM AT THE STAKE!!
Ummm...they are PROVEN cheaters.

If this were Green Bay or Arizona, the story would not be what it is.

A man convicted of armed robbery in Las Vegas isn't a big news story.

Unless that man is O.J. Simpson.

Like O.J., the Patriots have a history.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:09 PM

You use the word "vindicated" and then use the word "may" multiple times to make your point.

Yes, we can all do a bunch of mental gymnastics to create a far-fethched scenario in which 11 of the 12 Patriots balls would lose significant air and none of the Colts balls would.

Big deal.

You also state many things as fact that I have not seen (Luck's footballs all started at 13.5, and only a single Patriots football fell 2).

It's becoming more and more likely that the NFL set up a sting operation, having been tipped off to this activity, so I doubt they left those variables (the Colts footballs being measured indoors at halftime) to chance.

This isn't over...

Quote:
On Monday, Jay Glazer of FOX Sports added the next new big piece of news in #DeflateGate, reporting that the NFL has interviewed a locker room attendant who allegedly took footballs from the officials’ locker room after they had been inspected and approved “to another area on way to field” before the start of the game.

PFT can now contribute additional details to that story.

First, per a league source, the other “area on way to field” is a bathroom. The bathroom consists of one toilet and one sink and a door that locks from the inside.

Second, according to the same source, the person carried two bags of balls into the bathroom: the 12 balls to be used by the Patriots and the 12 balls to be used by the Colts.

Third, from the same source, the evidence comes from a surveillance video that was discovered by the Patriots and given to the NFL early in the investigation.

Fourth, again from the same source, the video shows the employee in the bathroom for approximately 90 seconds.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:23 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Aikman
"It's obvious that Tom Brady had something to do with this. I know going back to when I played, they've loosened up the rules in terms of what each team is able to do with the footballs coming into the game. Used to, the home team provided all the balls. And now, each team brings their footballs the way they like them and break 'em in. Used to you couldn't break them in. So for the balls to be deflated, that doesn't happen unless the quarterback wants that to happen, I can assure you of that. Now the question becomes did Bill Belichick know about it."
I'll take the opinion of a Super Bowl champion Hall of Fame quarterback over that of some lab tech who never played a game of football in his life any day of the week.

A football becomes rock hard and difficult to grip in wet, cold weather. Obviously, a deflated football would have more "give" and be easier to hold in such conditions. As such, it would seem that the Patriots deflated the balls on purpose to gain an edge over the Colts.

I used to feel that Belichick and Brady were one of the greatest coach/QB duos in the history of the game. After the "Spygate" scandal and now this nonsense, I don't think these clowns could beat a Pop Warner team without cheating.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I think it has life because the team has a history of cheating in such ways besides the things o field. Otherwise it'd be less discussed. But still its the league and what they seem to disregard that makes it more like what happened to boxing. The sportman is going out of it quickly as its seems to be joining the street life.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:16 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
"Fourth, again from the same source, the video shows the employee in the bathroom for approximately 90 seconds"

He would need to be really good to deflate 11 balls in 90 seconds.
Which brings up my point along time ago, it's not the first time, they've done it before! Sure for you or I it would take a few minutes but for someone who's done this before probably a few seconds per ball. How long does it really take to put a filler pin into the ball and let out a few psi? Please don't tell me a HOF qb like Brady wouldn't notice this if he wasn't in on it either,I don't buy it for a minute.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post

I used to feel that Belichick and Brady were one of the greatest coach/QB duos in the history of the game. After the "Spygate" scandal and now this nonsense, I don't think these clowns could beat a Pop Warner team without cheating.
It's funny, I was at a party here in Indy (we were all Colts fans, obviously) and I said the same thing as the game was ending. I said, "hey, I don't like him, but Belichick is just a great coach...we were outplayed and outcoached...give them credit, they always come prepared."

Now, I question every game they have won recently. Yes, it would not have mattered in the Colts game, but what about the Baltimore game the week before? Did little Edelman throw that touchdown to Amendola because the Patriots had the footballs deflated?

Who knows?

What we DO know is that the Patriots are PROVEN cheaters, so I don't think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Liars/cheats/thieves don't get caught the first/only time they break the rules/law. That just happens to be the time they got caught and nobody knows about the times they broke the rules and didn't get caught.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
"Fourth, again from the same source, the video shows the employee in the bathroom for approximately 90 seconds"

He would need to be really good to deflate 11 balls in 90 seconds.
Who says he isn't "really good?"

Practice makes perfect, you know.

Anyway, that is about nine seconds per ball, and it takes very little time to let a pound or two of pressure out of a ball, especially if you have done it before.

I also notice that you have no explanation as to why a ball boy would take all 24 footballs (Colts and Patriots) from the officials and then take them into a bathroom right before kickoff. What, he just had to take a dump that bad?

The same footballs that were found to be underinflated in 11 of the 12 Patriots footballs, and none of the Colts footballs.

Please.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:07 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,167 times
Hmm.. It does seem plausible. Ninety seconds is not out of the question, especially if you're experienced and have it down to a system. This is not deflating footballs flat, only bleeding off a bit of air. I wonder if there are other videos of ball boys going into the restroom before game-time to take a "leak" lol.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:42 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I'll take the opinion of a Super Bowl champion Hall of Fame quarterback over that of some lab tech who never played a game of football in his life any day of the week.

A football becomes rock hard and difficult to grip in wet, cold weather. Obviously, a deflated football would have more "give" and be easier to hold in such conditions. As such, it would seem that the Patriots deflated the balls on purpose to gain an edge over the Colts.

That doesn't even make sense. Aikman said a QB will know the pressure of the ball and they won't change it without him knowing the pressure.

That quote enables you to deny science? That weather can change a leather football's PSI?

Do you seriously deny the following principles based on science:
#1 An NFL ball moved from 75 degrees to 50 degrees will have a lower PSI as the colder air condenses.
#2 An NFL ball, which is leather, will absorb water and expand - lowering PSI.

1.8 PSI on average.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:25 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Which brings up my point along time ago, it's not the first time, they've done it before! Sure for you or I it would take a few minutes but for someone who's done this before probably a few seconds per ball. How long does it really take to put a filler pin into the ball and let out a few psi? Please don't tell me a HOF qb like Brady wouldn't notice this if he wasn't in on it either,I don't buy it for a minute.
IF true, SOMEONE gave the "orders," why would a locker room attendant or ball boy do anything so mischievous if not paid or who knows for what reason? Sad, this probably has been going on for years. Why cheat when you are one of the best?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football