Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:25 AM

158 posts, read 73,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
uh.. Rodney Harrison SLAM DUNK

LOL....Cheapshot HOF, absolute first ballot....I can defeat a case for Harrison with 2 simple words............................................. ............

David Tyree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 08:28 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
i am sure he has nightmares..

Old 12-21-2016, 10:02 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
The Minnesota Vikings stated, a few years ago, that the only thing missing from....finally.........winning their 1st Super Bowl was a good QB.

So, they made fools out of themselves by begging Brett Favre to come out of retirement.

Not only did they not win their 1st Super Bowl, they didn't even make it to the Super Bowl.

That tells me the Vikings needed more than just a proven QB !

Old 12-21-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
The Minnesota Vikings stated, a few years ago, that the only thing missing from....finally.........winning their 1st Super Bowl was a good QB.

So, they made fools out of themselves by begging Brett Favre to come out of retirement.

Not only did they not win their 1st Super Bowl, they didn't even make it to the Super Bowl.

That tells me the Vikings needed more than just a proven QB !
Personally i think the Vikings were correct in this assumption. They were great that year... they lost to the Saints in OT in the NFC CHamp game... one could argue the refs were egregious during this game, one can't argue that the Saints were NOT down right DIRTY... either way.. the Vikes lost..

Old 12-21-2016, 10:48 AM

158 posts, read 73,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Personally i think the Vikings were correct in this assumption. They were great that year... they lost to the Saints in OT in the NFC CHamp game... one could argue the refs were egregious during this game, one can't argue that the Saints were NOT down right DIRTY... either way.. the Vikes lost..
One could argue that Brett got them to the NFCCG....He had a good year. The Saints BRUTALIZED Favre that game and he kept getting up. Gutsy performance....Put Cam Newton in that game, he would have quit in the 1st Qtr or taken 15 delay of game penalties due to complaining to the ref, looking for a flag if he was the QB of the Vikings that game

Old 12-21-2016, 11:12 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffendor View Post
One could argue that Brett got them to the NFCCG....He had a good year. The Saints BRUTALIZED Favre that game and he kept getting up. Gutsy performance....Put Cam Newton in that game, he would have quit in the 1st Qtr or taken 15 delay of game penalties due to complaining to the ref, looking for a flag if he was the QB of the Vikings that game
Good point, however the Vikings specifically said the reason they begged Brett Favre and catered to his demands was because they believed he could bring them a Super Bowl trophy.

Didn't happen.

Didn't even get them into the Super Bowl.

The Brett Favre fiasco cost the Viking coach his job.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Good point, however the Vikings specifically said the reason they begged Brett Favre and catered to his demands was because they believed he could bring them a Super Bowl trophy.

Didn't happen.

Didn't even get them into the Super Bowl.

The Brett Favre fiasco cost the Viking coach his job.
I WOULD ARGUE that EVERY QB that is signed or drafted is done so because they BELIEVE that said play can bring them a Super Bowl Trophy...

Favre wouldn't be the first QB to cost his coach a job nor the last..

Old 12-21-2016, 11:31 AM

71 posts, read 44,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
There is flip side to the Peyton Manning statistics as well.....he also had 3 seasons with the Colts when his defense was number 1 or 2 in the NFL in points allowed and he went one and done in the playoffs...

Peyton won a lot of games with poor defenses, he also lost a lot of big games when he had great defenses...
Yes, 2005 and 2007 were the two years where he had a decent defense in Indy. Basically the only times Bob Sanders was healthy. The 2005 loss to the eventual SB winning Steelers was ridiculous. Vanderjagt misses last second FG, moments earlier Nick Harper (stabbed in the leg by his wife the night before) is tackled in the open field by Big Ben after a fumble recovery. Certainly, QB's are not the entire picture. Players wives factor in too

As for those one and done's - they are just more proof of how much of a team game it is:

Last edited by earlyriser18; 12-21-2016 at 11:40 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 07:33 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
Having lived in South Florida for quite a few years, I got to watch the great Dan Marino play.
A really outstanding talent, Marino just never quite got the right mix of talent around him to win the big one.
Some question his performance in some big games, I but I never really did.
This is truly a great hall of famer, one of best pure passers in NFL history, and not winning the big one has sometimes cast a negative on his resume.
I am sorry he never won the big one-----it was always a great pleasure to watch him.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:09 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyriser18 View Post
Yes, 2005 and 2007 were the two years where he had a decent defense in Indy. Basically the only times Bob Sanders was healthy. The 2005 loss to the eventual SB winning Steelers was ridiculous. Vanderjagt misses last second FG, moments earlier Nick Harper (stabbed in the leg by his wife the night before) is tackled in the open field by Big Ben after a fumble recovery. Certainly, QB's are not the entire picture. Players wives factor in too

As for those one and done's - they are just more proof of how much of a team game it is:
QB's job is to lead the offense.....

Peyton in those "one and dones" by definition NOT AFCG's typically "lesser competition" particularly when I believe Peyton was leading the higher seeded team every time...

2010 Wild card game Indy scored 16 points

2007 Div Round Indy scored 24 points

2005 Div Round Indy scored 18 points

2008 WC Game Indy scored 17 points

2012 Div Rd Game Denver scored 35 points

2014 Div Rd Game Denver scored 13 points

With the exception of one outlier in 2008 notice a trend? Significant drop off in scoring from regular season

In the first round of the playoffs Peyton's offense averaged 20.5 points

New England Brady Comparison ONLY showing AFCG's isn't exactly apples to apples....bigger game, more pressure presumably the BEST 2 teams from the conference and many times much tighter game than the one that follows for the winner. But I'll play along

2004 AFCG Pats scored 41 points

2014 AFCG Pats scored 45 points

2001 AFCG Brady went down in first half and was replaced by Bledsoe

2003 AFCG Pats scored 24 points

2007 AFCG Pats scored 21 points

2011 AFCG Pats scored 23 points

In 5 AFCG, bigger stage, more pressure, Brady's offense averaged 30.8 points
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football